IGNORED

Fan Ejected by Justin Thomas - Right, Wrong or Indifferent

divot dave
Note: This thread is 2233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I didn't hear exactly what he said, but apparently he was openly rooting against JT, asking for the ball to get into the bunker.  He didn't disrupt the swing, so its just a bit of poor form, instead of being totally obnoxious.  I suppose its kind of on the line, as opposed to way over the line.

I caught a little bit of this on the audio portion of the TV broaadcast. You could hear the guy yelling for the ball to go in the bunker, then JT asking "Who said that!"

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Supposedly the hole before, or between holes, he said he hoped JT hit it in the water. Then after the tee shot was struck, he wished for it to go into the bunker.

I'm fine with JT kicking the guy out, but at the same time, now Europe knows he's got  pretty thin skin… Come Ryder Cup time, hmmm…

True. But to your later post, I was always taught that in golf you root FOR your guy, You do NOT root against anyone. The only way a true champion can be determined is for everyone to do their best. But, in the 1962 US Open a gallery member supposedly told Nicklaus "Miss it, fat guts!" I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't have a problem with it especially when it was multiple comments from the spectator. I get the frustration JT must have had in the heat of the moment. If I'm being honest, if I was in that situation trying to win the event I might have reacted the same way. It's fine to say silly stuff after the shot but rooting against players or for their balls to go in a bunker is bad.

Having said all that it does seem like JT needs to develop a thicker skin, there are always going to be idiots out there.

BTW JT posted this today.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Golfers are commonly superstitious. I have been under the impression JT is one of these superstitious guys when it comes to Golf. Having someone around putting that negative stuff out, must really effect his confidence when playing. I think he did what he needed to do, and unfortunately for the anti-fan, JT had the power to do it. I don’t think there should be any referendum about fan conduct, but as a spectator, one should take this as a learning experience of what not to do, unless you want to possibly get kicked out.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Dufferpauly said:

This whole thing just shows how irrelevant and dumb the state of pro golf has become...this JT character is nothing more than a spoiled little boy...

How does this show how pro golf is “irrelevant”?

The spoiled kid, btw, has won 7 of 31 starts.

2 hours ago, Dufferpauly said:

Just read the JT “oh so sorry tweets...”. Now I despise this thin skinned jerk even more...what a wussy

You’re just all around pleasant eh? I doubt you’d say that to his face.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am in favor of ejecting hecklers from golf tournaments.  I've seen what happens to Sergio Garcia, and I don't think it's fair.  I want to see a fair contest, and when fans start heckling, even if it's after the shot is struck, or in between shots, or while walking to the next tee, it affects the game, and I don't think fans should be allowed to affect the game in a negative way like that.   When fans try to become a part of the game, or try to tilt the contest in one way or another, I don't think that should be allowed. 

Edited by Marty2019
  • Thumbs Up 1

They must accept a bit of heckling, but if someone deliberately followed a pro around and yelled that kind of stuff on every hole, I see no reason why he or she shouldn't be shown the door. While golf has gotten louder, I don't want it to reach levels of team sports like hockey, where there is a lot more of this stuff. Also, being an individual sport, it can get more under your skin than if you are part of a team.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Speaking of heckling...I was at the Bethpage Open back in '02 and it was right in the middle of Sergio's ridiculous grip re-grip re-grip re-grip  re-grip re-grip re-grip re-grip re-grip re-grip re-grip re-grip re-grip re-grip re-grip re-grip routine. 

When he was a couple of fairways over you could hear people yelling "hit the f&*^ing ball!"  It was constant and admittedly, funny. If some dude in your foursome did that, you'd wrap a club around his neck!

Edited by NEhomer

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Those are different things.

I root for, say, the Steelers. I don't root against the team they're playing against.

In the Ryder Cup, they say you can root for your team, but it's poor form to root for or cheer for bad shots by the other team.

I root against the Patriots :banana:

• Thumbs Up 1

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

15 minutes ago, divot dave said:

I root against the Patriots :banana:

And I root for, so we cancel each other out! :-)

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I am on the fence on this one. If JT is allowed to make that decision then fine. They guy has a tournament on the line. JT isn't going into that guy's workplace and trying cause him issues.

I probably wouldn't throw the guy out unless he is saying some pretty nasty stuff at me or if the guy started trying to make comments during my swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Maybe if a marshal had pulled the fan aside and given him a warning, it would have been better. You know, give the guy a chance to straighten up.

The other sports can have the obnoxious fans and the hostile atmosphere. Can't say that I haven't participated in some of that myself in the context of football, basketball and hockey, but it doesn't really belong in golf. 

JT did what he needed to do and he won the tournament. Hey. if you have the ability to remove that guy, why wouldn't you?

12 hours ago, iacas said:

I root for, say, the Steelers. I don't root against the team they're playing against.

You clearly haven't gone to a lot of NYC sporting events :-P

11 hours ago, skydog said:

Something also rubs me the wrong way about the dictator style decision that the players are allowed to make in this case to toss a fan. Not saying that fans shouldn't get tossed from time to time, just that IMO there should probably be more defined regs as to when an ejection is warranted.

This. If heckling is really a problem on the PGA tour (I don't think it is), then the tournament can hire marshals and have clear rules for fans. The thing that made this tasteless in my eyes was that it was JT who kicked the guy out, instead of an official. It's clear, from his tweets, that he overreacted because he was under pressure. His justification about protecting his other fans is just that, a justification. He knows it was a mistake.

Edited by chspeed

I think it's completely ridiculous that JT had him ejected. I don't even think players ought to be allowed to do that at all. What's next, ejecting basketball fans for cheering for LBJ to miss a free throw? Give me a break. Grow a pair and play some golf. He didn't interrupt the swing. So thin skinned it's laughable. 

Edited by hilmar2k

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Those are different things.

In the Ryder Cup, they say you can root for your team, but it's poor form to root for or cheer for bad shots by the other team.

But I bet you cheer when the opposing team fumbles, or actively root for them to miss a field goal.  I certainly do...

Regardless though, I see a big difference between what may or may not be poor form, and being disruptive.  Let's save the nuclear option for the latter rather than the former.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!