IGNORED

Which move changed your game for good?

Sierra Magica
Note: This thread is 2198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The first time I made a proper pass thru the ball.  I didn't know, until then, that I really had no idea how to swing a golf club.  It took a long time to sort out what had happened; but that was the beginning...and I'm still working on it.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Right now its Key 1 from this

Being able to make a centered pivot and keeping my head from shifting forward has done wonders for my ball striking and consistency, as well as my handicap.

I'm pretty sure once I fully nail that down, then key two will become the next move that changes my game. Then key three. etc etc.

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Imho, for most people, it's going to be a lot more than one move.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Swinging the club to right field. That's what did it for me. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

In my early days I tried to keep the blade square all the way back and through. When I realized that you open it going back and let it close going through the hitting area I immediately began to build a proper swing based upon a proper release.

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

The most significant "move" would be one my instructor had me work on. I could say a lot about my feels/interpretation of it, but to keep it short it's basically the reverse motorcycle rev from the top. He called it flexing, or bowing the lead wrist - but it's all the same stuff.

Not sure how to hit a lower lofted club consistently without a flat left wrist, and working on this move was essential in achieving that.

I know this article is about one, but I have three! 

The first one was when I started sliding my hips to start my downswing. Went from a very handsy-armsy timing-based player to a much more consistent one almost overnight. 

The second one was when I started turning my shoulders at the start of my backswing. I barely turned 90 degrees and really swung hard with my arms to generate speed. Shoulder turn added speed and made it easier to hit the ball solid.

The third one was when I started cocking my wrists. I'd never done that, not really, and that gave me a ton more power. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Right now its Key 1 from this

Being able to make a centered pivot and keeping my head from shifting forward has done wonders for my ball striking and consistency, as well as my handicap.

I'm pretty sure once I fully nail that down, then key two will become the next move that changes my game. Then key three. etc etc.

Me^^^^^^^^

I still have a ways to go, but LSW and 5SK's (and the videos) really jump started my improvement

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I agree with @nevets88.  I can't even remember a key move that changed everything for me.  It's been a long slow series of improvements for me.  My most recent was really getting width.  I've heard that many times, played with it in practice many times too.  But something finally clicked for me recently and it's been another (incremental) game changer.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

5 hours ago, Sierra Magica said:

More good golfer in their golfing life found a key move that change their game.

Do you have any which has revolutionized your game for good?

I haven't found mine yet, Have you?

There is no magic move. Improving your swing is a series of progressions. It's based on whatever your priority piece is.

What the key move was for me five years ago is different than the one I needed last year, which is different than what I'm working on now.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, klineka said:

This was the last instruction I received before injury in late September. Actually the pro got me to flatten my swing a little. I was able to "feel"  my head was a little behind the ball on the backswing; then a slight push down with my feet to start the downswing, head still back a little, driving with my hips/legs. There was no forward shift of my head or hint of a cast. Interesting topic. Thanks, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I agree with many of the above posters. There is not ONE move that fixes everything. For me, it was getting my lower body more involcvedw, getting my swing to be more "inside out", and learning to hit down on the ball with my irons. now, some instructors will fuss at the "hitting down" aspect of that, but I know what my eyes see! I see the clubhead descending toward the ball, putting the ball in flight, and then contacting the ground where the front of the ball was! I don't know what else to call it!

I know sound silly but when I understood that every club has different length and the release start at different point my ball strike changed dramatically for good. I used to release every club as 7i. included the driver we the consequence disasters. 

After defined the release point  on the range I took to the course and the difference was amazing.

example:- 9i. my hands have passed the ball 1 inch. I release the club, hit, follow-through and finish.

- Driver my hands are close to right hip on the downswing, I initiate the release from there. I turn smoothly, hit, follow-through and finish. Same feeling on green side bunker shots only my "weight" is on the front leg. 

16 hours ago, Sierra Magica said:

More good golfer in their golfing life found a key move that change their game.

Do you have any which has revolutionized your game for good?

I haven't found mine yet, Have you?

I wouldn't call myself a "good golfer" but I'll chip in anyway.

I seem to have a new move every few months that I think has revolutionized my game for good, but usually, the result is less than I thought, more incremental than revolutionary. 

The latest thing for me, that I discovered a couple of weeks ago, and that has led to a massive improvement in my irons, is really two things: 1) get more side bend into my swing, and 2) stop rolling onto the outside of my back foot- stay centered in the back swing. 

The result of these two changes is an elimination of fat shots, and no longer coming over the top.  Distance on a solid strike is about the same, but I'm making a much higher percentage of solid shots. 

I had an instructor telling me about side bend a couple of years ago, but I must not have really understood what he was trying to tell me.  I've had two instructors in the last few years, and neither one of them mentioned what I was doing with my right foot. 

I already know I have several other things that need to be improved, for example- flatten my left wrist, get more shaft lean when contacting the ball, get my lower body more involved, get better extension, etc etc etc.  But I'm sticking with these two things until they become second nature.  I'm still a punch and judy hitter with my irons, but it doesn't bother me so much as long as I can be more consistent and know where the ball is going. 

Edited by Marty2019

This is an interesting topic. I wouldn't have thought there'd be so many people who could remember one or two moves that changed their games for good. I thought improvement came only from a series of small, incremental changes. That is clearly not always the case.

I stopped hoping for a single cure for my poor game. Seems like every year I'd make a change that would yield very good, sustained results. The improvement would be real and I'd attribute the success to that one move. Eventually, the improved ball striking would get worse no matter how hard I'd try to implement that change.

I think what happens is that the improvement comes from somewhere else. Since I'm unaware of true cause, I don't know what adjustment to make when I start to slide back to poorer contact.

Jon

Note: This thread is 2198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!