IGNORED

Closed Courses You Formerly Played

On 5/14/2018 at 9:14 AM, Swindon said:

Salt Creek in Chula Vista, San Diego.  Sad, shot my career low there.

Damn - I didn't know that . I've played there - liked it

What's worrisome  is this: are there any NEW courses coming on line? If not this might be like drive-in movies. (Well hopefully not that bad)

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 7:49 AM, MarvChamp said:

Thanks for this Badger. Glen Garden holds many memories. My first and only hole in one. Played money games with The Dozen where I learned to get the ball in the hole fast or lose all my $$$; and the Shambley Group where I learned to respect the older golfers" games. The movie of Dan Jenkins'  "Dead Solid Perfect" opens with scenes of Glen Garden before the clubhouse burned. The course was one of the oldest in Fort Worth. It was designed by John Bredemus who originally designed Colonial. RIP, old friend. -Marv

Lived in Dallas - Fort Worth area for many years and played Glen Garden many times. It was alway great fun and Texas Golf History just oozed from everywhere there - especially the bar - where you could hear some amazing stories - some of which were probably true!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

deleted post:  wrong thread. 

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 10:07 AM, lastings said:

My very favorite course in the upper Midwest, The Harvester in Rhodes, IA.   

I called there a few weeks ago to book a weekend later this summer.    Only to find out that the course is closed for the summer 2018 to undergo renovation and opening back up as a Private course in 2019.

http://www.harvestergolf.com/

So disappointing.  

Damn that sucks.  Of the hundreds of courses I've played, it was my 2nd favorite design, and the total experience was 2nd to none.  Plus it was only about an hour drive from my house.  This one really stings.

• 3 weeks later...

Many years ago, I played a course called Cutter Sound outside of Stuart, Florida that was designed by Gary Player. Loved the design, but the developer eventually went bankrupt and the course was abandoned for a couple of years. Another developer took over and had Chi Chi Rodriguez come in and re-design the course. Chi Chi took the back nine and reversed most of the holes. That's right - you teed off where the greens used to be and you played to a green where the tees were. No modification to the land, so it was very, very weird to play this familiar course "backwards". But a lot of fun! Imagine your home course if you had to play it "backwards". Kind of interesting!

Played this joint in central Jerz called Miry Run years ago with a friend. Played under par there that day so i thought it play it again since i was in the area visiting the same friend. Drove up to the parking lot and it looked like a scene out of walking dead or something 🤣 

It so weird seing the overgrown bones of a golf course complex. 

3 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Played this joint in central Jerz called Miry Run years ago with a friend. Played under par there that day so i thought it play it again since i was in the area visiting the same friend. Drove up to the parking lot and it looked like a scene out of walking dead or something 🤣 

It so weird seing the overgrown bones of a golf course complex. 

It sure is. Mother nature can make any golf course that isn't maintained go "wild" in a years' time. Expensive to keep a golf course looking like a golf course.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, bodiesdad said:

Pecan Valley Golf Club in San Antonio TX. Site of 1968 PGA championship. Glad I got to play it. It was a great course. 

Wonderful old course! Glad you reminded me. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• 3 weeks later...

Legends Country Club in Clermont Florida. Was a Jack Nicklaus design that was unique because of the elevation changes, which is something you don’t see much of here.

happend to go there with a couple buddies earlier in the year. We thought it was weird that the clubhouse had absolutely nothing to sell    and that’s when the pro told us that the course was closing the very next day. :-(

my get up and go musta got up and went..

The Tides in Seminole, Florida just east of the gulf beaches outside of Tampa. Not the best maintained due to financial hardship, but close to our vacation spot. RIP old friend

• 4 weeks later...

Roddy Ranch, this was heartbreak, Shadow Lakes, another nice course gone Delta View, not a favorite but sad to see an older course gone Bethel Island, a pasture for the most part but ok.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Well, just 3 years left now to save my local course from the housing developers. Council had two choices.

1. Former commercial site with flat ground, easy access and room for around 2000 new homes and closer to the motorway...or

2. Mature parkland golf course, home to protected species of animals such as water voles, deer and plants, no access other than a single track between the existing houses, bottom part of the course is a concrete capped chemical (from old dye works) tip, room for only 1500 houses, miles from the motorway and opposed by pretty much the whole town and five housing experts have advised that its the worst place the council could have chosen.

but like they say "Money talks".

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

In California, droughts led to closure of number of courses.  They couldn't handle increased water price.   The one I missed the most is Sunol golf courses.   It had two courses which were decent for its price.   Their twilight/super twilight rates were extremely cheap and players used to line up for those tee times to start.   Just before it closed, I video taped many holes for keepsake.  

Another course that closed was Springtown in Livemore.    It's a muni course that is good for beginner but not much else.   I played it often in my 1st two years of golf and wanted to go back someday to see how much I improved.  Alas, before I can do that, it shut down.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to those I named in my prior 2 posts, I've just learned that Rolling Greens, just across the line in PA is now closed. And there are a couple that I'm afraid are hanging by a thread. One is now called Old Avalon since the newer Avalon Lakes (private) opened across the street. It's owned by the city of Warren, OH, and they are considering offering it to an outfit looking to build a research center or something. The other is Walnut Run. This place started life as a goofy little 9 hole course in the middle of a housing development. 

Then, the owner designed a proper 18 hole regulation layout that, in it's day, was a joy to play! Interesting layout with big greens that were beautiful to putt. Unfortunately he neglected a few things. Like proper drainage, and enough tree removal to allow air circulation and sunlight penetration. 

@gregsandiego asked if any new course were opening. There have been a couple around here. The Links at Firestone Farms in Columbiana, which is very popular and actually led to the closing of Copeland Hills. And Kennsington in Canfield. Both are Brian Huntley designs, and quite challenging.

In BurrRidge Illinois my all time favorite was Timber trails, which gave way for houses, then something fell through so some of the places where holes went through the oak trees could still be seen.