IGNORED

Is it worth anything for a high-handicapper to play in a league?

krupa
Note: This thread is 2178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The pro shop manager at my course asked me if I wanted to join a singles, 18-hole match-play league. On the one hand, I'd like to meet more golfers and play more.  On the other hand, after he told me about it, I went out and shot 105.  I had a nice, 6-hole run of bogey golf on the back nine before the wheels came off on 16 and then I recovered decently for the last two holes, so maybe I'm not that far off from "decent" playing.  I assume with a handicap, I could be competitive making bogeys? I don't understand how handicaps work when competing and I don't have one so I don't know where I'd start. I also don't want to be "that guy" that the other guys feel is taking up space and should improve more before joining something like that.

I realize a lot depends on the other players.  I play in competitive pool leagues and some people are great with new players and some don't want to deal with them. 

Would you care if you played someone like me in a setting like this? Would I be out of my depth jumping into a singles league before getting some experience in other league formats?

Thanks!

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd talk to the pro shop manager--let him know the state of your game and concerns--and see if it's a good fit to the particular league.  It could be there are plenty more like you, and the league is friendly to it.  Personally, I would bias towards joining, and would need a reason not to (it'd likely be great for your game, and the golf-social aspect).  But, if I asked and found I would be the worst player--and wasn't a fit skill-wise--I'd pass until my game improved.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Play!
2 things that help you improve
Playing every week and a bit a competition. you would be amazed at how a little competition can focus your attention.
Or forget all that and go out and play a league round, shoot lousy and give the points to an opponent. But have fun and socialize.
It is just a game!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

15 minutes ago, BamaWade said:

I'd talk to the pro shop manager--let him know the state of your game and concerns--and see if it's a good fit to the particular league.  It could be there are plenty more like you, and the league is friendly to it.  Personally, I would bias towards joining, and would need a reason not to (it'd likely be great for your game, and the golf-social aspect).  But, if I asked and found I would be the worst player--and wasn't a fit skill-wise--I'd pass until my game improved.

3 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Play!
2 things that help you improve
Playing every week and a bit a competition. you would be amazed at how a little competition can focus your attention.
Or forget all that and go out and play a league round, shoot lousy and give the points to an opponent. But have fun and socialize.
It is just a game!

Thanks.  I don't mind losing but I don't want it to be a 10 and 8 every week either.

I'm hoping to catch him tonight to get some more details but he wants people to play so will be trying to sell me a bit. I wanted some unbiased opinions as well.

If the pro is asking you to consider joining, then you know that they are actively looking for additional league members. 

Regardless of skill, your participation in the league would be a net positive as long as you 

1. Show up to participate consistently and 

2. Are reasonably social and fun to play with

If you meet those criteria, you will be welcomed into the vast majority of semi-competitive golf leagues. I'm sure there are some groups out there that might hold up their noses at a higher handicapper joining, but it's unlikely. And without personal knowledge of who is running the league or who the participants are, there is no way for anyone one this board to comment on that. 

If I were in your shoes, I would absolutely give it a try. Worst case scenario, you decide it's not for you and don't re-join the following year. Best case, you make some new friends and discover a passion for competitive golf. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Forget about the spread, they'll handicap it.  You have to decide which kind of player you are:

1 - you like to compete against total strangers (some cool and some dicks about it) - eventually acquaintances

2 - you hate to compete against total strangers - eventually acquaintances

it's nothing wrong to be either type, but you should do it based on what makes you happy to play

you can meet people by just playing solo and joining groups, so that's no biggie

(or if you are best free to play on only league days then you're kind of stuck)

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill - 

I’ll throw in my .02, because I am “that guy” in our league: by no means the worst golfer out there, but definitely in the bottom 25%. Our league is very big - they have several tee times (shotgun starts) on league days. There are a couple of little beer-bellied Napoleons out there, but most of the guys have been very encouraging, and patient. It is a little bit cliquish as most of them have been playing together for years, so I can't say I've made any fast friends, but friendly acquaintances, yes.

I know what you mean though, playing bogie golf alongside guys who are breaking Par and competing in Pro-Ams can be really humbling. Here I was, thrilled to shoot an 87, and now I’m watching guys putt for Eagle. If I bogie a hole, they par it, if I par a hole, they birdie it. If I birdie a hole, they birdie it too. I might win 2 holes from those guys all afternoon.

When I told my instructor I was joining a league, he told me 2 things: 1. I am really happy you’re doing this, and 2. competitive golf is much different – and this last one he re-emphasized several times. For me this is all been true. My first round in league play I shot a 118. The next time out, I settled down and shot a 92. The pressure exposes every weakness in your game.

For me, the value of playing league is the improvement I see in my own practice rounds after work. The other day I went out by myself and shot a 40. Last week I felt like I was playing “horrible” and when I tallied my scorecard I realized I’d shot a 44. I am not a competitive person, but the pressure I experience in league play has helped my game to develop. And that was the whole point, was to get out of my comfort zone, and to grow in the game.

Have heart, you are not alone!

Edited by Kalnoky
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Update:

I spoke to the pro shop manager.  It isn't a league, but a single-elimination, match-play tournament.

I'm leaning towards signing up. The entry fee isn't much and I've donated to tournaments (pool) in the past. 

OK. But, in any event, go find a league to join! You'll never get better playing against yourself or golfers who are worse than you. Competition is the name of the game! And that's what the handicap system is designed for. The league secretary will take care of that!

• Thumbs Up 1

Our local men's league has golfers shooting the 100s. If I was the OP, I'd do it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Go for it. Sure its always strange joining a new group of people but two things to keep in mind:

1. You've probably done it many times during your life (remember going to a new school and that feeling you had? Just the same as a grown up)

2. All the guys on the league will have gone through the very same process at some stage.

After a while you'll be one of the guys. And when a newbie joins you'll be the one that helps them feel welcome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I don't know you're the type to enjoy a match-play or league, but give it a go if you haven't before. If you didn't like it, you can end it with that. If you don't try, you won't know if you'll enjoy it or not. If you try and it's not your cup of tea, worst case is you've played some golf.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I vote go for it as well. I have being dying to compete in a golf league or local tour for awhile just don’t have the coin to do it. Anywho since it’s a tournament not league it still sounds fun and I am sure it will be handicapped so give it a try! 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Patch said:

Our local men's league has golfers shooting the 100s. If I was the OP, I'd do it. 

Some days I am that guy! During the season I am middle of the pac, not the best not the worst. My league has 6 flights and 60 total golfers I rank about #22.

my league has a mid and end of year outing at other courses. Each year I am consistently nearly the worse player at these outings. 
As long as you have fun....  Just have fun!!!!

16 hours ago, Puttin4Dough said:

Have some piece of mind....there's always someone worse.  

See my response above!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

The one great thing about golf (and bowling) is that the handicap system, if used honestly, really levels the field between players.  The few leagues I played in over the years had two or more flights that split out handicaps.  This helps even more as those with high handicaps don't feel so out of place trying to keep up with a group of single digit players.  But, even if they don't, it works so long as the advanced players remember the days when they were not so great.  Yes, by all means, join the league - they can be lots of fun.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

Note: This thread is 2178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!