IGNORED

Your First Car

Patch
Note: This thread is 1874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A yellow 1967 VW Bug with a crank turn sunroof that was rebuilt in shop class.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Used 1974 Toyota long-bed truck for $1,000.  Loved the ease of throwing things in the back for fishing (my prior passion before taking up golf), biking, camping, etc.

I was always into pickup trucks and SUVs. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

2000 VW Jetta in forest green. It was a hand-me-down from my parents. It was a tiny little car but the trunk was surprisingly big. I've always liked the feeling of driving tiny cars like that. 

Eventually the transmission went. I got it replaced but it was never quite right after that. I handed it down to my sister, and upgraded to a 2001 VW Passat, V6 AWD, another hand-me-down. That car was amazing. Heated (real) leather seats, sunroof, great engine. It almost made it to 230k miles. 

And now I've got a 2015 VW Golf that I also love. No real reason for the three VWs in a row - this time it came down to the Golf, a Subaru Impreza, a Mazda3, and a Ford Focus, and the Golf just had the best engine by far.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1996 VW Jetta. My mother gave it to me in 2003 when she bought a Passat. The transmission died within a year, likely due to the fact that she used to drive it 150 miles a day in stop and go traffic. I remember it used to slip out of gear when I made a right-hand turn and it would roll backwards at a traffic light if I was on an upslope.

The first car I bought was a 2004 Nissan Sentra with a 6-speed manual transmission to replace the Jetta and I really liked that car, but I haven't had a need for it in about four years (plus no good place to park it) so now it sits on my father-in-law's lot at his shop.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

'66 Mustang 3 spd stick, in 1971

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 1 month later...

1981 silver 2-door Dodge Champ hatchback.  Grandparent's car but he never drove it so it was a loaner for my last couple years of highschool.  Chick repellent car.

Edited by Strandly

• 4 weeks later...

1998 red Nissan Primera hatchback. Bought it in 2005 and I'm still using it, still the only car I've owned. The years are starting to take its toll, so I'm not sure if I'll keep it more than a year or two more.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

White VW 69 Beetle. Many road trips.  First car during college 1957 Chevy Bel Air.  Sold it later at a profit.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

First car I actually bought for myself was a '76 MGB, candy apple red that I bought from a shiester outside the gate of MCB Camp Lejeune in 1985.  Loved that car, despite the fact that it took most of my pay to keep her running.  Even had to get a part for the carburetor manufactured once.  I do have to say, however, that the chicks dug the MGB.

1993 Nissan 240SX. Beautiful pearl white hatchback. Bought it used in 1999 from a fellow up in New England who used it gently as his Sunday car for years. Both wife and I have lots of memories with it.

Vishal S.

• 1 month later...

Joining the conversation late, and apparently with the oldest first car of the lot.  Mine was 1959 Chevy Biscayne 4-door sedan, 3 on the tree behind a 235 c.i. straight 6.  This was the absolute basest of base models, but it got me around Montana for a year an a half. 

I traded it in 1967 for a '63 Impala 4-door hardtop, 327 c.i. w/300hp and 2 speed Powerglide automatic.  This one was still one of the best cars I've owned, considering available equipment at the time.  In Montana in the 60's and 70's there were no posted daytime speed limits on the highways (night limit was 65 on 4 lane and 55 on 2 lane), so I have a pretty good idea how fast that car would go.  I got popped by the State Patrol one night at 135 mph, and I still had another 400 rpm until it tached out (speedometer pegged at 120) - would have put me at about 140-145.  Such things weren't taken too seriously in Montana back then - he wrote me up for doing 80 in a 65 night zone, cost me a $15 fine.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 4 weeks later...

I graduated from college in 1967, then went into the Air Force, and wound up as a Missile Launch Officer at Ellsworth AFB in Rapid City, SD. I'd never had a car though high school and college (I hitchhiked everywhere back then), so I needed one. I bought a new 1968 Pontiac LeMans 2-door Navy Blue. I knew nothing about cars then, and still know nothing now, but that car lasted a long time.

This was just over 50 years ago and the strange thing is that I still remember the name of that car salesman...Dick Cordes. Weird, huh?

Good thread!

Mine was a dark Blue 68 Camaro!

283 V8, Powerglide 2 speed. Nice fat 50's in the back with Cragar SS mags!

My Dad gave my brother and I an ole Vega to split.... that lasted a half day and I was out looking for a car later that afternoon.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

• 1 month later...
Note: This thread is 1874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!