IGNORED

How Hot Is Too Hot to Play?

scotth
Note: This thread is 1394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf in the Heat  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How hot is too hot to play golf (Fahrenheit)?

I've walked up to about 100 degrees. I would probably go to ~110 if I'm in a cart. Not sure about walking much above 100. In Colorado, it's very dry, so it's not so miserable. Shade whenever possible plus lots of water make it bearable. Not necessarily a ton of fun, but it's doable. 

If there was any humidity, I probably couldn't do above 90. Humidity just kills me.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, cooke119 said:

It has been on the 90's here on Long Island, NY for the past couple of days but I would still play. Given our age, etc. we ride so it is not bad. Playing tomorrow but it is only forecasted to be in the 80's so no problem. Riding, I think my limit would be 95 to 100 degree with high humidity (which we get a lot). On the Island it also depends on where the course is located. We have a lot of courses on the bay (south shore) so we always get an on-shore breeze in the afternoon. Mid Island, like Bethpage, it can get very hot and humid, no wind, it all depends.

I changed my mind, I played 18 yesterday, heat index was 103 degrees. I think I'll pass next time. I was soaked by the time we finished. I play in a league so of course our tee time was 11am, just in time for the real heat and bright sun, (high humidity). Drank three bottles of cold water, still didn't help, past right through me with all the sweat. I was done around the 14th hole, just wanted to game to end. Needless to say we didn't come in the money, we all suffered.

For me, over 90. Hard to hit my shots when I'm drenched in sweat lol. Particularly, when there's humidity involved (which has been the case here in Michigan, recently). 

" No one succeeds without effort... Those who succeed owe their success to perseverance.

Let come what comes, let go what goes. See what remains. "

- RM

Thermal comfort level depends greatly on humidity.

Where I live, in Western PA, anything over 90 degrees is brutal (since it's generally accompanied by 75%+ humidity).  But, it's "cool" enough that aound here, there's basically no temperature I wouldn't play in.  The highest temp we'll ever see is maybe 93, and I'll tough that out.

I've traveled to Florida and declined to play because the highs were 90 degrees...with such ridiculous humidity that even minutes outside were uncomfortable.  I've traveled to Las Vegas and declined to play golf because the highs were projected to be 115.  Nevermind the humidity...that's just not pleasant.

But, I've played in Mexico with highs near 100 and really low humidity, and it was actually fairly comfortable.

- John

if it's upper 90s or over 100.... i'd leave it up to the other person lol....   i played a couple times this year already where it was in the upper 90's...  i drank plenty of water and stayed in the shade as much as possible when parking the cart lol.....       now i will say i only played 9 holes, but each time, i was worn out and soaked in sweat...  but it was still better than being at work lol.... 

when i was younger and stupid, i walked 18, on a blistering hot day lol... i was basically dragging my bag by the 18th hole... never again will i do that..    

It is what it is

Its hitting over 30C over here which is way too hot for me. Luckily as its light till about 10pm i can tee off at 7pm and get at least 16 holes in before i cant see. Plus after 5:30pm its only £9.50 for as many holes as you can fit in.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I would play in pretty much anything, if I have the opportunity to play Golf, then I'll always take it, as long as I don't expect I'll be rushed round. I always walk, so I'd probably shed clubs and lighten my  bag in very hot temperatures, although above 30 i'd probably have no choice but to get a cart (hasn't yet happened to me in this country). Equally, I'll happily play in sub zero temperatures on a course that lets me. 

I went with 95*.  Oklahoma summer makes that feel about 105-110.  Humidity is always terrible here.  I am scrambling with my co-workers tonight and it's supposed to be just under 90 at tee-time, so probably will feel about 95-100.  I'll find out tonight whether or not I change my answer to 90.

• :cleveland: Classic 270
  • :tmade: R580 3W, 5W, 7W
  • :nicklaus: Dual Point 3H, 4H
  • :nicklaus: IronMax Progressive 5i-9i
  • :cleveland: RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*
  • Teardrop TD-47 Putter

Played today (walking 18 holes) in 93 degree Florida heat. Had a nice breeze though and sun was behind clouds most of the round. By the way..,played in 2 hours and 20 minus.😄

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Although I had a cart, the hottest I played in was 118 degrees out at Desert Mountain in Arizona.  I had the only tee time for the day.  I felt fine.

At home, I walk and I've never NOT played because it was too hot. In fact , I tell people " hotter the better"...keeps the crap off the course.

On 7/4/2018 at 8:07 PM, Hardspoon said:

I've traveled to Las Vegas and declined to play golf because the highs were projected to be 115.  Nevermind the humidity...that's just not pleasant.

I know it's an old joke, but it's actually really true, "dry heat" is really not that bad at all.  I don't blame you for passing at 115 but in general I don't find the California desert heat (Nevada and Arizona are the same) to be that unbearable.  Shade at every opportunity, hopefully a little breeze here and there, one or two extra gloves, and a shitload of water, all combined with deserted courses can make it downright pleasant.

(Notably, yesterday I just bought an underpar.com coupon to play Silver Rock in La Quinta with @tristanhilton85 sometime this summer for $35 - less than a dollar a hole!)

• Like 1

As we've been experiencing temps nearing 100 with heat indexes over 110 where I play and I'm still playing this images is appropiate.

c4jt321.png

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

On 7/3/2018 at 9:56 AM, Yukari said:

I didn't vote because none of the choices fit.  I played last week when it was 105.  What you need as a poll is also the humidity level.  In CO, it is dry heat so one can play at 105 *F.  But if it was in NC or somewhere where the humidity is 60% + at 105 *F, I would think twice.

This is a fact. I know lots of people like to clown on Arizonans with the "Yeah, but it's a dry heat!" line! But, there is a difference.

I live in NE Ohio, and when the Summer winds start pumping Gulf of Mexico temps and moisture our way, we suffer. I also spent a week in August touring wineries and vineyards Napa Valley. In Napa we never had a day under 100*, as August is smoking hot! The hottest day we experienced was 110*, and I can tell you from experience that 110* with 25% humidity is more comfortable than 90* with 90% humidity!

My clothes were not pasted to me! I was not bathed in a sheen of sweat! That's what 25% humidity will do for you. And there's another benefit!

When the sun goes down, it cools off! The heat just disappears! It might be 110 during the day, but when you wake up in the morning, it will be 55!

Hottest temperature I have ever played in was 107*  No idea what the heat index was that day.  But, we played and it was ok.  Just had to drink lots of liquids to stay hydrated.  Now...ask me what is too cold to play in, I can probably come up with a number.  But have yet to find what temp is actually too hot to play.  

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Good thread.  I had a ton of days off in a row so of course I play golf like 3 days in a row... Duhhhh not smart!

Yea, 95 - 98 all 3 days with New England humidity... tough!  Sweating bullets on the range 10 mins into it and I didnt even tee it up yet. Played my worst round yet this year.  Thats some tough golf weather!

Looking forward to Sat morn round and 67 - 72 for the round..... so much better!  Hope I play better!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

It’s getting up to 104 today. Not going to play...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Depends on humidity.  90%+ humidity, 85+ degrees is very uncomfortable.  In dry heat I imagine you can be closer to 100 and be in just as good / better condition.

"It's not the heat, it's the humidity." But, it's the heat.

Out here where it's dry, it's experienced differently. We sweat as much, if not more, but because of the dryness, sweat evaporates of us so fast we often don't feel it. If there is a breeze, we might even feel good. But on days above a hundred, I use two gloves. When it's above a hundred and the monsoon moisture creeps in, with no wind, I've had a stream of sweat splashing onto my ball. I doubt I sweat more, no matter the humidity nor breeze, when it's a hundred and five, which is about as hot as it can get without moisture in the air. As the moisture increases, the air can't absorb it and stay as hot. In the summer, we get the max awful heat. It just doesn't last as long as the cold did in Minn, Chicago and New England. You don't have to shovel sunshine, but it still wears you out.

Plus, we have thin blood. We're used to it. You ought to hear us complain when it's forty.

Wayne

Note: This thread is 1394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!