IGNORED

What tee to play from?

cnl390
Note: This thread is 1986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 8/20/2018 at 2:57 PM, rehmwa said:

I like 6500 +/-200 as my 'zone' - it 'typically' keeps the Par 3's from being idiotically long, and usually gives a couple par 4's with longish irons on approach, but the rest decently scattered to my 8i or less - seems like par 5's then also tend to give me at least a chance to consider going for the greens in 2.

This!  I usually play at around 6300 to 6700 as well depending on the tees available and how hard the course is.  I usually end up playing every club in my bag which is a good thing to me as well.

On 8/21/2018 at 3:54 PM, easyjay39402 said:

I enjoy the challenge of golf and like to play a yardage that (1) allows me the possibility of reaching every green in regulation, (2) requires me to use most of the clubs in my bag, and (3) serves up risk-reward decisions on most holes.

I’m 74, hit my tee shot, usually at about 75% effort,  200-220. 235 is possible, but it hurts my shoulders.  I find that 5,700-6,000 is a good zone. On the rare occasion that I score in the 70s, I feel pleased with myself.

Sometimes I move up to hit with the other geriatrics, but there isn’t much variety in the challenge among holes and it’s hard not to score in the 70s. It becomes a game of chipping and putting. Boring and fails to meet my 3 criteria for a challenging, fun golfing experience.

But that’s me, there are lots of ways to enjoy playing this great game!

I like the way you approach tees. I know that a lot of people play for a White or blue tee but I think that is a remnant of the old Tips, Men's, Women's system. Why do you play? Decide if it is for challenge, competition, fun, company then think about the set of tees that accomplish your goal. It can differ day to day, week to week. 

Playing golf is an investment in time so make sure you get a good return on the time you spend. I wish that changing the tees to some other color set and maybe more tees would encourage this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm 68 and have lost distance due to age and injury. My drives are from 190 to 210. I play tees that are about 6250 and I do have a lot of three woods into some of the par fours.  If it's really wet and when it gets colder I plan to play a hybrid tee combo that is 6000. 

11 hours ago, criley4way said:

I like the way you approach tees. I know that a lot of people play for a White or blue tee but I think that is a remnant of the old Tips, Men's, Women's system. Why do you play? Decide if it is for challenge, competition, fun, company then think about the set of tees that accomplish your goal. It can differ day to day, week to week. 

Playing golf is an investment in time so make sure you get a good return on the time you spend. I wish that changing the tees to some other color set and maybe more tees would encourage this.

Despite playing from the senior tees, I detest playing courses where every par 4 is now a Driver and short iron! I wish to play my mid and long irons as well!

We've played "adjustable" tees for a few years now. If the golds don't seem to present enough of a challenge, we'll move back a set. As long as it's not sanctioned play, and just a round among friends, who cares?

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Despite playing from the senior tees, I detest playing courses where every par 4 is now a Driver and short iron! I wish to play my mid and long irons as well!

We've played "adjustable" tees for a few years now. If the golds don't seem to present enough of a challenge, we'll move back a set. As long as it's not sanctioned play, and just a round among friends, who cares?

This is one of my issues, but split tees rarely solve it.  Wish I could make my own split tees and have them measured for handicap.  I drive the ball around 270, which leaves me with wedges constantly.  I would like to hit more 6 and 7 irons into greens.   But, the tips force 210+ par 3s on my all the time. Which probably averages 4.5 strokes for me.   I drive (distance-wise) like a 3 handicap, but hit a 4-iron like a 15 handicap, so what to do?   Learn to hit long irons, I suppose. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

7 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Yeah I agree I only have one local course so with four different tees I really enough being able to play sub 6000 yards to over 7000yards it really changes how you play many of the holes

Go Foxy Go

On 8/25/2018 at 10:21 PM, lastings said:

This is one of my issues, but split tees rarely solve it.  Wish I could make my own split tees and have them measured for handicap.  I drive the ball around 270, which leaves me with wedges constantly.  I would like to hit more 6 and 7 irons into greens.   But, the tips force 210+ par 3s on my all the time. Which probably averages 4.5 strokes for me.   I drive (distance-wise) like a 3 handicap, but hit a 4-iron like a 15 handicap, so what to do?   Learn to hit long irons, I suppose. 

this is my dilemma also - fortunately, I tank my drives often enough to keep from hitting all wedges all the time.  But the jacked up par 3's can get frustrating.  Fortunately, the tees for me are just suggestions, and there are days when having to focus on hybrids into the 3's is a fun day too....

Bill - 

Being a senior golfer, I generally play which ever tees put me about 5800 to 6000 yards...par 4 I should be able to reach the green on second shot with a 7 iron (150 yards)...I don't mind playing longer and do when I play with others that play from longer tees.

I drive the ball about 240-250 and for years have targeted 6500-6800 yards for my tee selection.  If I am hitting too many 3-woods/hybrids into par 4s I will adjust tees as necessary.  I usually have no problems reaching almost all of the holes in regulation, but I do get tired of hitting 4i-3wood into most of the par 3s.  I'm also in my early 50s and just starting to lose a bit of distance, so I suspect the white tees will be in my not-too-distant future.

I play the whites, because, I don't know.  Seems like the thing.

Funny thing is, I played the reds with my Fiancee and another couple this past weekend, in the interest of expediency, as we teed off after 4 and wanted to be sure we got 18 in (we did), and the course was not only shorter (obviously), it was a completely different course.  The reds were not just pushed up, but some were offset, different sides of the course, etc.  It totally changed the course and was a lot of fun to play.  I was able to try some hero shots on some pars 4s and almost drive the greens.

That being said, at this course, red is too easy for me, while white is plenty of challenge.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

For me is it wedge wedge wedge and getting boring? Then move back. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

I usually play from about 6,400-6,600 yards, though on occasion I'll play from 6,000. I prefer to play from the longer set of tees because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Bottom line you play to whatever tee you want but don’t play the farthest back tee just because your ego tells you to! I typically play courses with a white, blue, black with the black being the championship tees. I’m a 5 handicap and I don’t feel the need to go back and play the black. There is something about hitting 4 irons and 3 woods at par 4 approach shots that isn’t all that appealing to me. Some courses I think I could manage from the black tees but for the most part I know my game and I’m just not that long. I can bang it 270-300 but I’m not putting myself in a spot where I have to do that every hole. I played toftrees resort a while back. It posted on the carts 275-300:black, 250-275 blue, 225-250 white. I played the blue. It was a good fit. I hit a 5 iron at one par 4 but for the most part 9 iron to 6 iron which I thought was fair. I shot a 79. I was playing pretty hot around then and wanted to challenge myself. Since then I have been playing the whites at home. Today I drove the ball exceptionally well and was hitting wedges in all day. To me that means I should move back. You need a little more challenge than wedge every hole in my opinion. 

I rambled some there but to summarize play the tees that are going to make the game fun. Don’t let your ego dictate it. Don’t play the back tees because you want to tell your friends you do:

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

On 8/21/2018 at 11:43 AM, Papa Steve 55 said:

I hooked up with a couple guys at Myrtle Nat'l on vacation a couple years ago. They wanted to play from the tips. I'm usually a white marker guy but agreed. The first guy topped his shot and the second pulled into the water left. The ranger pulled up and pointed the white markers, never said a word...lol.

I would never play from the tips, I’m not good enough and it wouldn’t be any fun at all.  I have seen far too many guys playing from the tips, who have no business being back there.

is there anything more frustrating than being stuck behind a slow group and watching them hit 180yd duck hooks & slices from the back tees?

• Like 1
my get up and go musta got up and went..

5 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

I would never play from the tips, I’m not good enough and it wouldn’t be any fun at all.  I have seen far too many guys playing from the tips, who have no business being back there.

is there anything more frustrating than being stuck behind a slow group and watching them hit 180yd duck hooks & slices from the back tees?

Agreed..... I said a mouthful above. To sum it up I’m a 5 and don’t feel like playing the tips. There is no need for someone like that back there!

My average drive is around 250 (with roll) and a good round for me is around the mid-90's.  I usually play from the white tees which for most courses is around 6k yards.  One of funniest things I experienced was when I playing from the tips at a course which measured 5600 yards and I pushed one of my drives onto the adjacent fairways.  The guy playing in that fairway was none to amused as when I was walking to my ball he scolded me for playing from the tips. :-$

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

11 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

My average drive is around 250 (with roll) and a good round for me is around the mid-90's.  I usually play from the white tees which for most courses is around 6k yards.  One of funniest things I experienced was when I playing from the tips at a course which measured 5600 yards and I pushed one of my drives onto the adjacent fairways.  The guy playing in that fairway was none to amused as when I was walking to my ball he scolded me for playing from the tips. :-$

I’d have been an asshole to the guy. Playing the tips has nothing to do with hitting one in the other fairway.

Made me think of the time this summe I went to a nice resort course, Champion Lakes this year. Golf now. $17 for a round with cart. I’m 1st guy out that morning. A single behind me is pushing me on the 2nd so I offer to let him play along with me but he opted to just play through which I was fine with. Don’t mind playing alone but plenty of times I’ve played along with guys and had great rounds at unfamiliar courses. He had to get smart with me tho and say “oh well I’m playing the tips” like he was some professional. Through the day I heard him yell obscene things after bad shots several times. Saw him throw his lob wedge. He prob had no business back there at the tips..... so as I pass him in the parking lot I couldn’t help myself.... hey buddy rough day??? He just snarled back at me. Wasn’t very happy. I smiled 

Note: This thread is 1986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!