IGNORED

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

AltGolfer
Note: This thread is 1709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am getting up in age. I am 57. I am hitting the ball better than ever. I average 225ish off the tee. When I get it well struck it is 250 to 260 +/- ... say 3 out of 10 drives fit here. My one, ONE, long drive was 298.  All of those with the roll out. Other than that I am surprised when I hit past what my clubs are doped (data on previous excursion) at.

I guess I am getting older. I just grunt or roll the eyes when I hear the big fish stories.

:)

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

4 hours ago, ToolManSam said:

My post is to address 90% of forum golfers. It seems people do not believe an avg guy can hit a 250 yard drive and 300yards is not attainable if you’re not on the PGA yet we’re surrounded by scratch golfers or better. That’s far from true and idiotic at best to believe such nonsense

Long drivers who don’t care about score can at times carry the ball over 400 yards

I don’t care what others think about my golf. Legit! I routinely get beat by guys I can outdrive by 60-100yards

I’m just saying I’ve seen guys carry the ball close to or over 300yards a ton of times but have NEVER seen an avg Joe shoot better than par 

Hey, I also average more than 200 yards off the tee! And am regularly 60 to 100 yards past other players with the same club*** and get beat by those shorter hitters all the time...not sure what the heck these mysterious people are griping about either...

🤪🤪🤪😂😂🤪

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2019-04-16T21-57-27.433Z--1280x720.jpg

Phillis Meti talks to Tripp Isenhour after winning the Ak-Chin Smash in the Sun women's title with record-setting drives of 408 and 413 yards.

Great to see a fallow NZ local breaking records ... I see at her last comp her swing speed was only 120mph for 370yards... makes my 116mph for 290-320 yards look weak

Go Foxy Go

1 hour ago, NZ Golfer said:

Phillis Meti talks to Tripp Isenhour after winning the Ak-Chin Smash in the Sun women's title with record-setting drives of 408 and 413 yards.

Great to see a fallow NZ local breaking records ... I see at her last comp her swing speed was only 120mph for 370yards... makes my 116mph for 290-320 yards look weak

127mph

watching her swing it doesn't look crazy powerful but the ball certainly carries  ... If I really give it 110% I can get to 118-119mph but think I'd be lucky for it to travel any further than my more consistent  112-116mph swing ..I'm sure these Long drive champs would be much more impressive in person

Edited by NZ Golfer

Go Foxy Go

6 hours ago, NZ Golfer said:

watching her swing it doesn't look crazy powerful but the ball certainly carries  ... If I really give it 110% I can get to 118-119mph but think I'd be lucky for it to travel any further than my more consistent  112-116mph swing ..I'm sure these Long drive champs would be much more impressive if they could putt.

FTFY

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

FTFY

What does putting have to do with LD?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 4/22/2019 at 3:58 AM, NZ Golfer said:

Fun to see the end of the video - her partner or friend is so happy for her.

On 8/26/2018 at 9:59 AM, sofingaw said:

I mean, I feel you. There are plenty of liars and exaggerators. And plenty of honest folks have exaggerated from time to time...

But I really do hit a driver between 260-280 on well struck shots, (call it 6/10) and have hit several over 300 on the course in the short time I’ve had my new driver. - And I suck pretty bad, still. 

I slice and hook and sky-ball enough shots that my true average drive is shorter. But I can put it out there with fair regularity these days. 

And im not alone. Also, it’s probably fair to point out that anyone who CAN hit it that far, and who has seen an Internet golf forum, probably WILL mention it at a minimum, and brag about it fairly predictably. 

Maybe you do just play with short hitters. I’ve seen plenty of players better than me, but basically bogey golfers hit it well past me, and a few who are worse than me hit it further as  well. And virtually everyone who I’ve played with who shoots in the 80’s or better hits it pretty far. 

With a new-technology club that fits you.. distance isn’t terribly hard to achieve these days for lots of players at various skill levels.

Edit: To clerify, I don’t personally claim to CARRY 280. My carry is between 240-260 on the well-struck shots, with associated roll accounting for the total (obviously). 

Great thread, and I agree. I am amongst the top 20% of long hitters in my club, and I hit about 220 yds on a good day. Of course, there are some younger and stronger players who can hit up to 300 yds, but they certainly aren't the norm. I know plenty of people who given up playing golf, and strangely enough they all used to hit the ball absolute miles 

• Like 1

- Simon Hornsby

On 4/22/2019 at 12:58 AM, NZ Golfer said:

She’s certainly not lying about her distance 😂

Wow! 413 Yards!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 8/26/2018 at 4:48 AM, AltGolfer said:

Before you make a smug comment. Yes, it bothers me too no end. Tired of the male ego. 

Most amateur golfers averages 220 yards(yes with roll) if they are lucky.

Late to this party......but this is an entertaining thread. Someone asked on Facebook "name a personal change you made which has brought you alot of happiness...." I answered that it was a change I made about 7 years ago in the way I responded to others' communication. Some people call it "allowing." Benjamin Franklin wrote about being "deferential." It means accepting, as much as possible, that everyone has a certain internal view of reality that is valid for them. Yes, definitely, most men "lie" about how far they hit a golf ball. But they have their reasons. And it doesn't matter. Not to me, anyway. For whatever reason - I think it was playing with an older brother who, when I told him the drive I just hit went "about 240" told me "no, JP, that was about a 210 yard drive" - I learned long ago that I didn't like to overstate how far I hit the golf ball. But I am sure I have plenty of my own blind spots in my version of reality. 

I think one of the most fun parts of recreational golf is observing the way people handle themselves and their game psychologically. When I do this, I enjoy the game no matter how well I happen to be playing. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Was in a 4 person best shot tournament and we had a College player that would easily do 300 + yd drives, every tee off.  We used my 220 yd drives most of the time because his typically ended up in the wrong fairways.

I figure, at the stage of the game I'm at, if I were to hit a 300+ yd drive, it would be downhill with 50mph winds at my back....  LOL

I'm happy when I hit the fairway at 200.  I actually believe that the 2nd shot counts more..  Still working on a little more distance though..  LOL

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

4 hours ago, IowaGreg said:

Was in a 4 person best shot tournament and we had a College player that would easily do 300 + yd drives, every tee off.  We used my 220 yd drives most of the time because his typically ended up in the wrong fairways.

I would have given his drives some thought for sure... If he’s closer to the hole, I’d more than likely use his shots over 80 yards shorter. Unless, the other 3 of you hit these low ducking shots into trees on all your approaches?

Edited by Lihu
  • Thumbs Up 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

5 hours ago, IowaGreg said:

I figure, at the stage of the game I'm at, if I were to hit a 300+ yd drive, it would be downhill with 50mph winds at my back....  LOL

I'm happy when I hit the fairway at 200.  I actually believe that the 2nd shot counts more..  Still working on a little more distance though..  LOL

And isn't that the crux of the long hitter ... playing yesterday with an older group mid-HC players I played rubbish ---distance great but accuracy+direction rubbish putting so-so chip-pitch mostly rubbish .. lost to my partner by one shot and I could easily outdrive his 1w tee off with a 7-8 iron 90% of the time.

Far too many penalties and out of the rough under tree 2nd shots etc....

Still, when my direction is good off the tee it really opens up eagle-birdie chances on the PAR-5 longer PAR4's

• Like 1

Go Foxy Go

6 hours ago, IowaGreg said:

That's what happened with me.  My longest drive ever (two seasons ago).  Wind from the south (not 50; maybe 15-20).  After the first 150 yards, the fairway heads gently downhill.  And I hit the cartpath. Again. And again. And again.  I lost sight of the ball but figured it would be near the greenside bunker.  It wasn't; it was over in the rough, long and right, by the tee of another hole.

1877675990_longestdrive.thumb.jpg.8a15ee81f814cdf48d16a6e146d3e38f.jpg

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I get your point. And your statistical data backs it up. I don't hit it 300 yards on average at all I usually will absolutely nut one about 320 or so once or twice a year... My 4 out of 5 times drive is 265 yards (I am longer than last season because I have a longer shafted driver and I'm hitting it closer to the center). @AltGolfer you're saying that a 6.7 Handicap Index... (I gotta update that when I grab my GHIN card next week). Can't average in effect 30 yards more than the mean for my handicap? 

The best players on the planet on the PGA Tour average about 290 yards on measured drives, Rory Mcllroy led the Tour last year at 319.7 yards. Explain that one too me.

I get your point that 20-30 Handicaps shouldn't be boasting they average 250 or 275 yards or whatever, When they may hit 200 yards. But a 25 handicap might legitimately average say 225 yards, they may have difficulty with direction, but they can hit it 225 yards 8/10 times, It might be 40 yards offline, but the ball is 225 yards from where it originated from.

I agree with you to a point, internet driving distances are greatly exaggerated. But I can tell you, there are 3 members on this forum that witnessed me hitting 7-iron second shots into 2 separate par-5s. (Yes they were both downhill). I don't even consider myself a long hitter, I'm average, I could probably hit it further, but my body won't let me.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

11 hours ago, Lihu said:

I would have given his drives some thought for sure... If he’s closer to the hole, I’d more than likely use his shots over 80 yards shorter. Unless, the other 3 of you hit these low ducking shots into trees on all your approaches?

There were really tall trees along the fairways and a lot of them.  If his shots weren't in the trees, they were close enough to the trees that it would have been difficult to try to put in over the trees.  The other 2 people had only played 2-3 times in their life and were just out there for fun and a paid day off of work.  Believe me, we would have much rather used his if we could.

• Upvote 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Note: This thread is 1709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!