AltGolfer

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

511 posts / 62186 viewsLast Reply

For people like me, its great just to hit the ball straight-ish and have a decent 2nd shot to the green,

Once in a while, when curiosity gets the better of me, I subtract the distance left to the green from the total yardage from the tees. That can often be depressing.

My guess is that people tend to think of their best 10% as "what they carry". The other 90% are all mishits.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Distance still speaks to our caveman instincts. Couple of big pops a round can bring a lot of joy regardless of score for many. 

Plus, not all lies we tell ourselves are counterproductive. Some of them help us cut through the heartbreaking fog of reality.. 😄  

On 6/25/2019 at 4:09 AM, Cantankerish said:

It’s not entirely fair to just call it an “ego” thing.  I feel for the baseball guys you are both describing.  

The entire premise of this thread is ego driven, I can make one simple statement and I can usher in 20 responses in a day 😂

The OP thinks he’s the standard to beat and thrashes anyone who says they can, from there you get a ton of other responses that are either genuine or sarcastic that reflect what the OP stated.

Gotta love our egos 😁

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

The entire premise of this thread is ego driven, I can make one simple statement and I can usher in 20 responses in a day 😂

The OP thinks he’s the standard to beat and thrashes anyone who says they can, from there you get a ton of other responses that are either genuine or sarcastic that reflect what the OP stated.

Gotta love our egos 😁

I think his fragile little ego got dented a bit. He has not posted since August last year.

On 7/29/2019 at 11:41 AM, phillyk said:

When I was younger, I cared for some reason.  (In the voice of Pinocchio) I'm a real boy!

I think I needed to prove myself by more than just a score; I had to be the biggest hitter. Now, I just play golf and do my thing.  Sure I can hit it, but my goal is to hit the shot I'm envisioning, nothing more than that.

I do find the rants amusing now and can laugh at myself for being the same way several years ago.

For some reason, the two bolded bits reminded me of Peter Pan saying "I'll never grow up"  Yet we all do, don't we.  Wonder if the OP will ever make it.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I think his fragile little ego got dented a bit. He has not posted since August last year.

Could be because he's still looking for his 260 yard long drive that sailed into the right rough.  Agreed, he's a bit beyond his 3 minute limit.

I'm too busy trying to get my drive consistent to worry about someone else.......... I average between 150 and 260........Anywhere from the left fairway trees to the next fairway over on the right.........  LOL  If I ever do a 300+, I'll have been trying to hit across the Grand canyon ... with the 90 mph winds at my back!!!!!!

See the source image

I hit a drive last week 320yds but I was using The Hammer...POW! So it doesn’t really count.

15 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I hit a drive last week 320yds but I was using The Hammer...POW! So it doesn’t really count.

Once did an experiment atthe range. "Does shouting POW/BOOM with a regular drive equate to more distance?"

Result was...No, but there was an increase in funny looks!

5 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Once did an experiment atthe range. "Does shouting POW/BOOM with a regular drive equate to more distance?"

A martial arts HiYa works much better. Try it. 🤣

1 hour ago, RussUK said:

You weren't yelling it correctly. I needs to occur exactly at impact. POW!

27 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You weren't yelling it correctly. I needs to occur exactly at impact. POW!

Watch a few re-runs of the old Batman and robin TV Show..........

See the source image

On 8/26/2018 at 4:48 AM, AltGolfer said:

Before you make a smug comment. Yes, it bothers me too no end. Tired of the male ego. 

Most amateur golfers averages 220 yards(yes with roll) if they are lucky.

I mean just the other day i was talking about this on reddit and some guy said I'd be lucky to hit 260 with my slow looking swing. 

Hes trying to act like this distance is a bad thing. I'd be in the top 10 percentile regarding distance against amateurs.

Seen so many people talk shit on reddit and once i browse through their history i'm able to obtain their swing video and its laughable. Ya right you carry it 280... give me a effing break.

Just stop nobody believes you swing 115 too 120 mph bro. Statistic data backs up my point. Most 0-5 handicap only averages 250 distance.

I have never ran across someone IRL who hits 300 and i play single twilight heavily and mix up with people all the time. No, that one perfect drive you muscled out their with all your might bouncing off a cart-path doesn't mean you average 300.

I've rarely ran across anyone who hit it further than i do. Usually only time this occurs was when i use to play AJGA tournaments as a junior and these guys shoot under par on the regular.

Most people also don't even read the articles provided and brush it off stating it has "old people" mixed into it. If they actually read the article it goes by handicap. That "old guy" who has a 5 handicap can out-drive your 30+ handicap ass anyday and i put my house on it.

https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-your-distance-reality-check/

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/performance-of-the-average-male-amateur/

data2.png

Handicap-vs-average-driver-club-speed.png

Screenshot_4.jpg

I am 75 years old and hit my driver (Titleist 915D2 13.5)170 yards at best. What am I doing wrong? I hit my G15 four metal 140 yards. All of my clubs are -1” for accuracy.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:57 AM, GolfLug said:

Some of them help us cut through the heartbreaking fog of reality.. 😄  

Yes, the short-lived respite from the dank, dark, shadow of the despair of life.  Destined to end in a well of futility.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:01 AM, Lihu said:

you get a ton of other responses that are either genuine or sarcastic that reflect what the OP stated.

Does wry and amused mockery fall more into the 'genuine' category or the 'sarcastic' category???

asking for a friend

42 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Yes, the short-lived respite from the dank, dark, shadow of the despair of life.  Destined to end in a well of futility.

Hell no. That's when you go out and buy the latest epic-mega-super-flash driver that will add 22 yards to your drive.....aaaaaanddd you start the cycle of 'self-affirmations' (cough..lies..cough) all over again. Deepak Chopra who??

On 7/31/2019 at 1:20 PM, rehmwa said:

Does wry and amused mockery fall more into the 'genuine' category or the 'sarcastic' category???

asking for a friend

Hmm, that’s an excellent question ... I’ll feign insanity. 🤪😂