Sign in to follow this  
DeadMan

Paul Azinger to Replace Johnny Miller on NBC

30 posts / 4014 viewsLast Reply

I've seen rumors about this happening, but I guess it's official: https://golfweek.com/2018/10/15/the-forecaddie-johnny-miller-to-retire-paul-azinger-replacing-him-in-nbc-booth-will-still-work-for-fox/

Johnny Miller is retiring. Azinger will be NBC's new color guy. I really like Azinger on Fox and on podcasts I've heard him on. Big shoes to fill with Johnny Miller, but I think Azinger can do it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like Zinger marginally better.  But I wasn't a fan of Miller the broadcaster - even though I think he's one of the great players...So it wasn't a difficult bar to clear

Edited by rehmwa

If you want to call me a sheep it's cool, but this is a change long needed.  Good golfer, not a great commentator, and I think Azinger is an excellent choice to replace him.

Azinger is going to be one tired puppy after the Open since he'll be announcing back to back majors, no? A little weird seeing same announcer on rival networks. Just don't make a mistake and say Fox where you're on NBC and NBC when you're on Fox, lol. Fundamentals. 😀

I forget which podcast he was a guest on, but when he spoke candidly, he was a very good listen.

Gonna miss Johnny. I was hoping he’d do one more year or just do the Players and Open. But I guess he’s retiring for good. He was by far my favorite analyst of the 3.

Edited by ChrisP

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Good by me.

And I didn't mind and actually kinda liked Johnny Miller. I think he gets a bad rap by sheep. 🙂

I agree.  

I always liked Johnny Miller...but I like Azinger too so no problem.  

I liked Miller. He could be a curmudgeon at times, but he was insightful and informative. The Zinger is good as long as doesn’t bring up tired old inaccuracies like putts breaking away from mountains and stuff. He does that on occasion. 

I kinda liked Johnny. I know he rubbed some players the wrong way but I always thought he shot straight with most of his comments. I will say that the only thing I like about Fox's golf coverage is Azinger. I just hate to see Johnny go. I still miss Venturi. Faldo is okay but I would like to see someone like a Raymond Floyd. Maybe Fred Couples? I think someday we will see Phil in the booth. He might be pretty good.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Best commentator in golf by a wide margin.  The only one with any balls to tell it like it is.  

Not the best voice, not the best delivery, but by far the best content.  

Zinger is not afraid to say what he thinks, but he's a try-hard.  With Johnny, it just came naturally.

I don't watch much tv golf, but when I do, or did, I always like Miller's commentary. He never came across to me, as being someone he's not. 

Don't know much about Azinger, other than a couple picts I saw of him. Maybe he will do a good job, hopefully equal to what Miller has done. 

As long as Azinger keeps telling it like it is he’ll do fine. I liked Johnny except for his often incorrect swing analyses he would rattle off. But gotta have someone to call out the poor shots, poor decisions as they come. 

Fine by me. I have never really cared much for who the commentators are or judged them by their abilities. There some obviously really bad ones out there, but most are just another talking head doing their job. Good for miller and Azinger. 

A welcome change by me. I've grown tired of Johnny Miller trying to read putts from the broadcasting booth: "this one is right edge", when the players lines it up two cups to the right and still misses low!

That and the overdone anti-Tiger sentiment. He finally had to relent after the win at Tour Championship, but all year long, it was negative stuff... probably worse than Brandel Chamblee.

Edited by sjduffers