IGNORED

How Much "Simpler" Are the 2019 Rules, Really?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2019 Rules  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Are the 2019 Rules of Golf simpler?

• Yes, quite a bit.
    • Yes, a little.
    • No, they’re about the same.
    • No, they’re more complex.

8 hours ago, mchepp said:

Sorry for the stupid question, but which one is this?

There is a new Local Rule which allows one to take a drop in lieu of "stroke & distance".  It involves locating an approximate spot where the ball disappeared, then moving laterally out to the fairway with a 2 stroke penalty.  Most people expect to see this Local Rule only in low level amateur competitions, leagues and general play.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/golfs-new-rules-stroke-and-distance.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Most people expect to see this Local Rule only in low level amateur competitions, leagues and general play.

That' what the R&A/USGA say

"This Local Rule is not intended for higher levels of play, such as professional or elite amateur level competitions."

Edited by Rulesman

4 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

There is a new Local Rule which allows one to take a drop in lieu of "stroke & distance".  It involves locating an approximate spot where the ball disappeared, then moving laterally out to the fairway with a 2 stroke penalty.  Most people expect to see this Local Rule only in low level amateur competitions, leagues and general play.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/golfs-new-rules-stroke-and-distance.html

Thank you.

This is wild rule to have to figure out. Do we as a group decide if we are going to play this before we tee off? How is everyone thinking they are going to handle this?

Michael

6 minutes ago, mchepp said:

Thank you.

This is wild rule to have to figure out. Do we as a group decide if we are going to play this before we tee off? How is everyone thinking they are going to handle this?

This will be a choice made by the golf club, or by the committee in the case of a tournament.  I'd expect to look for it on the scorecard with other local rules, or on a rules sheet for a tournament.  Personally, I'm not crazy about it, but I can see its usefulness in occasionally speeding up play.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

So if the season is already started, and the rules change Jan 1st.  Then the overall season will operate under two different sets of rules.....

(i.e, at the Hero, I just checked in and the announcers are talking about a 'double hit'......)

nothing special here, just an observation....

Bill - 

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

So if the season is already started, and the rules change Jan 1st.  Then the overall season will operate under two different sets of rules.....

Fortunately, the PGA Tour doesn't play the same tournament on both December 31 and January 1. Though, had they, I can see them saying "we're using the 2019 Rules because the tournament concludes on this day… and we're having a stroke limit of 8. 😄"

Okay, not the last part.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, rehmwa said:

This happens every four (or two) years anyway.

I think some people are viewing the rules as simpler because they are less penal. I don't believe the rules are a bit less easy to understand (simpler), though like @iacas I never believed them to be that difficult in the first place. They are certainly less penal as many of the acts that used to receive penalties have been changed. 

So, simpler? No. 

Less penal? Yes.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I will definitely spend a weekend this winter familiarizing myself with the new rules. I feel like there is going to be a good amount of delay in tournaments with getting rulings.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I will definitely spend a weekend this winter familiarizing myself with the new rules. I feel like there is going to be a good amount of delay in tournaments with getting rulings.

Or just follow along with the daily review of one rules change/difference per day at RulesGeeks.com.

cropped-rgfavicon.png?fit=240%2C240&ssl=

Starting tomorrow, and for each of the next 30 days, RulesGeeks.com is going to be highlighting 30 major changes from the 2019 Rules. Our schedule is as follows: December 2 – Ball in Motion A…
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

Or just follow along with the daily review of one rules change/difference per day at RulesGeeks.com.

Starting tomorrow, and for each of the next 30 days, RulesGeeks.com is going to...

It’s like an Advent Calendar for golf!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 11/27/2018 at 9:12 AM, iacas said:

The 2019 Rules of Golf were pitched to many as not only a “modernized” version of the Rules, but also a rules package that encouraged faster play AND were simpler.

I don’t think they’re that much simpler. Nor can they be, really. A few of the disparate penalties were coalesced, others changed… otherwise, not much simpler.

Again I don’t think they CAN be much simpler. The NFL still may not know what a catch or roughing the passer is, the NHL can’t define goaltender interference or “head shots” very well, etc. Rules are complex especially when you play such varied fields, formats, etc. as golf.

I chose a little simpler... marginal.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I thought I'd reply and then go back and read.  The one real change that I feel will be most in use is the new allowance for "penalty areas".  In my opinion what this does is cater to the increasingly common practice of instituting an unauthorized local rule to call any place they want on the course a "lateral hazard", regardless of whether it meets the definition.  In 2019, they won't be outside of the rules any more, because on many courses, anyplace where players tend to lose balls regularly will be red lined as penalty drops rather than stroke and distance. 

I'm not totally against such a practice, but I expect to see it overused.  My biggest issue with it is that this change is intended to improve pace of play, but I don't think it will be all that significant.  In my experience, the average player is still going to look for his ball for as long as he feels like doing so.  If he finds it, he's still going to try to play it, no matter how ugly the lie. 

Some guys seem to be overly attached to a ball, and will search for it long after I'd have dropped and played on.  Losing balls is part of playing golf, and this rule won't change that.  It's intended to speed up play in such a case, but I don't think it's going to have nearly the effect that the rules guys expect. 

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 2 weeks later...

Golfweek listicle of some of the changes coming next year.

rules-of-golf.jpg?w=640

The U.S. Golf Association and the R&A have made changes to the Rules of Golf that will take effect Jan. 1, and there’s plenty to consider. These changes are part of the ruling bodies’ efforts t…

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Starting tomorrow, December 2, and for each of the next 30 days, RulesGeeks.com is going to be highlighting 30 major changes from the 2019 Rules. Our schedule is as follows: December 2 – Ball…

You can follow along every day in December for those, too.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Golfweek listicle of some of the changes coming next year.

OT: that’s a new one on me. Add that to my compendium of portmanteaus. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Hey, Reuters wrote a piece. 

?m=02&d=20181214&t=2&i=1335132432&w=1200

The New Year will usher in dozens of new rules in the biggest revamp of golf regulations in decades...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course, the Rules book is 240 double-sized pages.

Is that for the seniors that are losing putting strokes as we age?   Wait...or the visually impaired?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 1922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!