Jump to content
iacas

2019 Masters Tournament

1,072 posts / 43399 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, klineka said:

oh brother facepalm GIF

 

 

Wow, you won an absolutely pointless argument.👏 :banana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

10 hours ago, b101 said:

In case people are interested, Tiger's post-round interview in full: 

 

A lot of painful questions in there, but the bit that will stand out to all of those who read LSW would be the amount of importance he stresses on missing in the right places - i.e. 12, 18. 

Throughout the interview, he comes across as very at-peace and humble - big fan of this interview.

 

 

Agreed, this is a great post-round interview.  He comes across as human being rather than this public figure and truly thankful that he's able to do this again.  Agreed, he also comes across as very humble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have read about every article among the usual talking heads -- great stuff, but for whatever reason I just cannot stand John Feinstein and his need to express his opinions in a manner that are intended to be accepted by the reader as historical fact.  Goddamn the guy is a pompous asshole and his books suck too (although the stories/information are solid, the writing is crap).

Anyway,.....sorry for rant

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

He’s passed Jack IMO. And did awhile ago.

 

Love this......for whatever reason, I have a feeling that Jack understands that the GOAT label is more important to Tiger (and maybe to the world) than it is to himself and he has very, very unselfishly acknowledged as much........and that is something he absolutely did NOT have to do in my opinion.

Goddamn....what a class act he is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Tiger deserved to win yesterday and its great for the game to get him back winning major tournaments again. But i have this overarching feeling that he backed up into this win. Which is fine. A win is a win. But i feel like if Molinari just hits those two short irons on the green on 12 and 15 he wins by at least two strokes. 

But make no doubt about it, the real star of the masters is Fred Ridleys hair. 

And if Seve hadn't hit it in the water at 15, Jack wouldn't have won in 1986.  So?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I agree 100%. D.J. hit an awful putt on 18 (which he does often) and Brooks hit two awful putts on 17 and 18. Tiger needed help at the turn and he got it. Disclaimer: I'm not bashing him but he didn't shoot 64 and run away with it. He played smart and waited for everyone else to make a mistake. Just like Jack used to.

Yeah...and Nick Faldo got profound help in all three of his Masters wins. Unprecedented help. Sorry Nick...just true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

But make no doubt about it, the real star of the masters is Fred Ridleys hair. 

I had a mental image of some elderly Augusta matron being miffed when she got to her hairdresser's and found Ridley sitting under her favorite hairdryer Sunday morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I get what you're saying and agree in a lot of ways but 18 will always be more than 15

In major victories he's behind and may or may not catch up, but overall as a golfer he's better even if he's three majors shy.

 

"Catching Jack" in this sense means major victories only, not as GOAT, since he's already passed him there.

Edited by Zeph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Zeph said:

In major victories he's behind and may or may not catch up, but overall as a golfer he's better even if he's three majors shy.

That's what I meant when I said I agree in a lot of ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What we witnessed yesterday was pure sport, drama and GRIT by the bucket load.

I have to admit that I too wrote Tiger off but what he did yesterday was nothing short of outwitting his opponents with the exception of Koepka.

Tiger was patient and calculating. When Finau and Molinari dumped it in the water on 12 he made par then watched all the other 9 players around him finished he was in the box seat.

To close with a bogey and win by one just goes to show you that he got the job done. 

Chin up golfers, Tiger proved you can bogey the last hole and win.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ratings 7.7 for final round compared to 8.7 last year. Still not bad considering earlier start. Guessing a lot of the audience going to church plus West Coasters were lost.

According to someone on reddit who watched an ESPN piece, Woods was 44/65 in driving distance, 48th in putting, but #1 in GiR, 58. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Love this......for whatever reason, I have a feeling that Jack understands that the GOAT label is more important to Tiger (and maybe to the world) than it is to himself 

Maybe, maybe not.  If so, that'd be part of what drove Tiger to end up being better than Jack...from day one, his goal was never just to "compete" or "win when he can" but to be the absolute best golfer on earth.  Kinda like Michael Jordan in that way...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Nagah said:

 

I have to admit that I too wrote Tiger off but what he did yesterday was nothing short of outwitting his opponents with the exception of Koepka.

 

 

Koepka also went in the water at the 12th and made double bogey, so Tiger outsmarted him too. Koepka arguably wins the jacket without that massive mental error. 

9 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I agree 100%. D.J. hit an awful putt on 18 (which he does often) and Brooks hit two awful putts on 17 and 18. Tiger needed help at the turn and he got it. Disclaimer: I'm not bashing him but he didn't shoot 64 and run away with it. He played smart and waited for everyone else to make a mistake. Just like Jack used to.

 

We can play this game with anyone in the field, including Tiger himself. Just on Sunday alone  (and he missed a lot more of them earlier in the tournament)...

4th hole: missed from 10 feet for par. 

5th hole: missed from 10 feet for par

6th hole: missed from 10 feet for birdie

14th hole: missed from 15 feet for birdie

17th hole: missed from 10 feet for birdie

18th hole: missed from 15 feet for par

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dr. Manhattan said:

Koepka also went in the water at the 12th and made double bogey, so Tiger outsmarted him too. Koepka arguably wins the jacket without that massive mental error. 

It seemed like the 12th hole really helped decide the winner of the Masters this year. Four different players up at -9 or better hit it into Rae's Creek - Koepka, Molinari, Finau, and Poulter all went for a swim.

Tiger did his usual thing where he played for the center of the green (just over the bunker) so that even if he missed short he wouldn't go into the water hazard. It leaves a long putt, but it's one he practices because he knows that's where he's going to try to hit the ball on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Have read about every article among the usual talking heads -- great stuff, but for whatever reason I just cannot stand John Feinstein and his need to express his opinions in a manner that are intended to be accepted by the reader as historical fact.  Goddamn the guy is a pompous asshole and his books suck too (although the stories/information are solid, the writing is crap).

Anyway,.....sorry for rant

 

Love this......for whatever reason, I have a feeling that Jack understands that the GOAT label is more important to Tiger (and maybe to the world) than it is to himself and he has very, very unselfishly acknowledged as much........and that is something he absolutely did NOT have to do in my opinion.

Goddamn....what a class act he is. 

Agreed. The GOAT label is more personal than it should be. Nicklaus set a mark that even if surpassed will stand as the measure of greatness for pro golfers, which will be so rare that it will retain its significance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

Tiger has still only ever won the Masters when the Players was held in March.

Interesting.  Hope he wins another next year!  Cannot wait to see him play Bethpage soon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

Tiger has still only ever won the Masters when the Players was held in March.

You heard it here first! Tiger's secret to Masters success is a tune-up at TPC Sawgrass before the main event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...