IGNORED

2019 Masters Tournament

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 1458 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

3 hours ago, klineka said:

oh brother facepalm GIF

Β 

Β 

Wow, you won an absolutely pointless argument.πŸ‘Β :banana:

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, b101 said:

In case people are interested, Tiger's post-round interview in full:Β 

Β 

A lot of painful questions in there, but the bit that will stand out to all of those who read LSW would be the amount of importance he stresses on missing in the right places - i.e. 12, 18.Β 

Throughout the interview, he comes across as very at-peace and humble - big fan of this interview.

Β 

Β 

Agreed, this is a great post-round interview.Β  He comes across as human being rather than this public figure and truly thankful that he's able to do this again.Β  Agreed, he also comes across as very humble.

• Like 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:Β  :leupold:Β  :aimpoint:Β :gamegolf:

Have read about every article among the usual talking heads -- great stuff, but for whatever reason I just cannot stand John Feinstein and his need to express his opinions in a manner that are intended to be accepted by the reader as historical fact.Β  Goddamn the guy is a pompous asshole and his books suck too (although the stories/information are solid, the writing is crap).

Anyway,.....sorry for rant

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

He’s passed Jack IMO. And did awhile ago.

Β 

Love this......for whatever reason, I have a feeling that Jack understands that the GOAT label is more important to Tiger (and maybe to the world) than it is to himself and he has very, very unselfishlyΒ acknowledged as much........and that is something he absolutely did NOTΒ have to do in my opinion.

Goddamn....what a class act he is.Β 

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"Β  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

2 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Tiger deserved to win yesterday and its great for the game to get him back winning major tournaments again. But i have this overarching feeling that he backed up into this win. Which is fine. A win is a win. But i feel like if Molinari just hits those two short irons on the green on 12 and 15 he wins by at least two strokes.Β 

But make no doubt about it, the real star of theΒ masters is Fred Ridleys hair.Β 

And if Seve hadn't hit it in the water at 15, Jack wouldn't have won in 1986.Β  So?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

3 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I agree 100%. D.J. hit an awful putt on 18 (which he does often) and Brooks hit two awful putts on 17 and 18. Tiger needed help at the turn and he got it. Disclaimer: I'm not bashing him but he didn't shoot 64 and run away with it. He played smart and waited for everyone else to make a mistake. Just like Jack used to.

Yeah...and Nick Faldo got profound help in all three of his Masters wins. Unprecedented help. Sorry Nick...just true.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

But make no doubt about it, the real star of theΒ masters is Fred Ridleys hair.Β 

I had a mental image of some elderly Augusta matronΒ being miffed when sheΒ got to herΒ hairdresser's and found Ridley sitting underΒ her favorite hairdryer Sunday morning.

2 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I get what you're saying and agree in a lot of ways but 18 will always be more than 15

In major victories he's behind and may or may not catch up, but overall as a golfer he's better even if he's three majors shy.

Β 

"Catching Jack" in this sense means major victories only, not as GOAT, since he's already passed him there.

Edited by Zeph

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

1 minute ago, Zeph said:

In major victories he's behind and may or may not catch up, but overall as a golfer he's better even if he's three majors shy.

That's what I meant when I saidΒ I agree in a lot of ways.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Two of the greatest their sports have ever seen in one frame. Phelps behind Tiger at 16 yesterday.Β 

EDDE824A-F175-4FF2-8C9B-19C579EFEA1F.jpeg

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

What we witnessed yesterday was pure sport, drama and GRIT by the bucket load.

I have to admit that I too wrote Tiger off but what he did yesterday was nothing short of outwitting his opponents with the exception of Koepka.

Tiger was patient and calculating. When Finau and Molinari dumped it in the water on 12 he made par then watched all the other 9 players around him finished he was in the box seat.

To close with a bogey and win by one just goes to show you that he got the job done.Β 

Chin up golfers, Tiger proved you can bogey the last hole and win.

Β 

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

Ratings 7.7 for final round compared to 8.7 last year. Still not bad considering earlier start. Guessing a lot of the audience going to church plus West Coasters wereΒ lost.

According to someone on reddit who watched an ESPN piece, Woods was 44/65 in driving distance, 48th in putting, but #1 in GiR, 58.Β 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

6 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Love this......for whatever reason, I have a feeling that Jack understands that the GOAT label is more important to Tiger (and maybe to the world) than it is to himselfΒ 

Maybe, maybe not.Β  If so, that'd beΒ part of what drove Tiger to end up being better than Jack...from day one, his goal was never just to "compete" or "win when he can" but to be the absolute best golfer on earth.Β  Kinda like Michael Jordan in that way...

Β 

- John

1 hour ago, Nagah said:

Β 

I have to admit that I too wrote Tiger off but what he did yesterday was nothing short of outwitting his opponents with the exception of Koepka.

Β 

Β 

Koepka also went in the water at the 12th and made double bogey, so Tiger outsmarted him too. Koepka arguably wins the jacket without that massive mental error.Β 

9 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I agree 100%. D.J. hit an awful putt on 18 (which he does often) and Brooks hit two awful putts on 17 and 18. Tiger needed help at the turn and he got it. Disclaimer: I'm not bashing him but he didn't shoot 64 and run away with it. He played smart and waited for everyone else to make a mistake. Just like Jack used to.

Β 

We can play this game with anyone in the field, including Tiger himself. Just on Sunday alone Β (and he missed a lot more of them earlier in the tournament)...

4th hole: missed from 10 feet for par.Β 

5th hole: missed from 10 feet for par

6th hole: missed from 10 feet for birdie

14th hole: missed from 15 feet for birdie

17th hole: missed from 10 feet for birdie

18th hole: missed from 15 feet for par

4 hours ago, Dr. Manhattan said:

Koepka also went in the water at the 12th and made double bogey, so Tiger outsmarted him too. Koepka arguably wins the jacket without that massive mental error.Β 

It seemed like the 12th hole really helped decide the winner of the Masters this year. Four different players up at -9 or better hit it into Rae's Creek - Koepka, Molinari, Finau, and Poulter all went for a swim.

Tiger did his usual thing where he played for the center of the green (just over the bunker) so that even if he missed short he wouldn't go into the water hazard. It leaves a long putt, but it's one he practices because he knows that's where he's going to try to hit the ball on Sunday.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Have read about every article among the usual talking heads -- great stuff, but for whatever reason I just cannot stand John Feinstein and his need to express his opinions in a manner that are intended to be accepted by the reader as historical fact.Β  Goddamn the guy is a pompous asshole and his books suck too (although the stories/information are solid, the writing is crap).

Anyway,.....sorry for rant

Β 

Love this......for whatever reason, I have a feeling that Jack understands that the GOAT label is more important to Tiger (and maybe to the world) than it is to himself and he has very, very unselfishlyΒ acknowledged as much........and that is something he absolutely did NOTΒ have to do in my opinion.

Goddamn....what a class act he is.Β 

Agreed. The GOAT label is more personal than it should be. Nicklaus set a mark that even if surpassed will stand as the measure of greatness for pro golfers, which will be so rare that it will retain its significance. Β 

• Like 1

• Administrator

Tiger has still only ever won the Masters when the Players was held in March.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

Interesting.Β  Hope he wins another next year!Β  Cannot wait to see him play Bethpage soon.Β Β 

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

You heard it here first! Tiger's secret to Masters success is a tune-up at TPC Sawgrass before the main event.

• Like 1

Note:Β This thread is 1458 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!