IGNORED

Which Tour Professional Has Influenced Your Game the Most?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 1919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Which Tour Professional Has Most Influenced Your Game the Most?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which current or former pro tour player has had the most influence on your game (not teaching pros or instructors, please)

• Jack Nicklaus
    • Ben Hogan
    • Harry Vardon
    • Tiger Woods
    • Mickey Wright
    • Greg Norman
    • Ray Floyd
    • Tom Watson
    • Someone else - please post the pro's name

A comment by @Curt seemed like a decent question to kick around.  Let's limit it to professional golfers who play or have played on tour (or what would have been the "Tour" but for the time period).  In a lot cases, no "Tour Pro" has influenced our game

Which Professional Golfer Has Most Influenced Your Game?

I would say that no tour pro has had a large influence, perhaps to my detriment.  There is one individual with some influence and that is Jack Nicklaus.  To this day I try to heed his advice from "Golf My Way" about the most likely ball flight for a lie where the ball is below/above my stance or uphill/downhill.

How about the rest of you?  Admittedly the poll's choices are limited so if anyone is missing, just mention him/her in a post.

Edited by bkuehn1952
Typo

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is Tiger for me, although I am pretty young so I only watched a couple of those guys actually play, and only Tiger was in his prime when I started watching golf

I remember checking out the same book about Tiger over and over from the library when I was first teaching myself to golf in middle school/high school. I'd read a section, then go try something in the backyard that I had just read.

image.png

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Dang....I had about a full paragraph on somebody other than a Tour Professional until I looked at the poll question!    My bad...

If I can't say Erik and Dave then I will have to go with Tiger.   I can't say too many others really were / are an influence on my golf game.    Up until about 6 yrs ago golf was an after thought behind my other activities like martial arts, hockey, soccer and table tennis.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

None.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

H. Penick, and Earnest Jones. Honerable mention for Paul Runyon, and M. de la Torre.

They are all dead of course, but their teachings still work for some.

3 hours ago, klineka said:

It is Tiger for me, although I am pretty young so I only watched a couple of those guys actually play, and only Tiger was in his prime when I started watching golf

I remember checking out the same book about Tiger over and over from the library when I was first teaching myself to golf in middle school/high school. I'd read a section, then go try something in the backyard that I had just read.

image.png

Blast from the past. I actually bought this book new, for $1.99 at a clearance book store. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Tommy Bolt...until I matured.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

For me, there are two former players who influenced how I played.

#1 is Lee Trevino.  We have roughly the same build, especially when I was younger.  I watched his approach with great attention to see how someone with my build approached the game.  For about a decade, his was the shot I most tried to duplicate.

#2 is Andy North.  I am sure he could not recall the time he invited me to join him for an early in the day 18.  His suggestions on approaching my game and the time allowed for me to follow him close up and observe made many changes in my basic swing and how I play a course.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Influenced my game?  As in, how I play?

None of them.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I don’t remember who first said it. I thought maybe Mickelson, could be a lot older than that. But they said that while playing tournament golf, it was important to make sure you are having fun. Otherwise why play? Its helped me focus on playing my best but also enjoy myself and don’t get upset at bad shots. I don’t watch for anybody’s swing or play style. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Jason Dufner - one of my favorite golf books says to watch a tour pro who has similar build.  At the first tournament I attended I looked through the program and he was the closest to me in height and weight, so I've watched his swing some. Same bad tendencies.

Spieth - Except that I'm at least 12 shots worse as a golfer, have somewhat a similar game - for my handicap (key words) I've got a great short game. I'm straighter than most with slightly better than average distance and the tendency to occasionally miss by an incredible mile.

Tiger - We have similar vocabulary's when we hit a bad shot.

Ty Webb.😜

Tough question. For golf viewing it would be Woods, Nicklaus, Trevino, Norman, etc. They made it fun to watch.

For how I swing and play, Robert Rock. He has been used as a reference by my Evolvr instructors a lot more than any other player. He has a beautiful simple swing that illustrates a lot of great points that we can follow to improve.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

None

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Tom Watson influenced my interest into the game.

I never really followed golf or even watched it much. Didn't have a favorite golfer until I found out that we shared the same birthday. So I started to follow him some.

Then the 1982 U.S. Open came around. The first golf event I ever watched from start to finish.

I was hooked after that. I bought his short game book and the rest they say is history...lol.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Freddie "Boom Boom" Couples
Not that I intentionally mimicked his motions/swing, but many friends often indicated my swing was similar.
Along time ago, Freddie during an interview and was asked about his swing thoughts.
He replied "He just takes the club back and swings through the ball"
Pretty simple explanation. I can handle that.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I like quite a few for different reasons and who hasn't learnt a thing or two from their games, but nothing in my game approach or swing comes from modelling a touring pro, current or past.

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 1919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!