IGNORED

How Much Alcohol Do You Drink?

Mr Puddle
Note:Β This thread is 1837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

On 1/4/2019 at 5:16 PM, BamaWade said:

Dang, mostly near-teetotalers responding for some reason.Β  I'll add some balance, ha!

According to those 2-units per day, 14 per week guidelines, I'm definitely a strong "moderate", but it's evenly spread.Β  Most weeks, I'm definitely drinking something at least 5-6 days out of 7.Β  While I was off over the holidays, it wasΒ 7 out ofΒ 7.Β  Sometimes 1 "unit" (last night was a single beer; the night before, a single glass of wine), but many times, a couple "units"--that'd usually be 1 of my go-toΒ mixers of Old Forester 100 w/Vanilla Coke Zero.Β  On weekends I mightΒ hit the 3 unit mark by adding a beer at some point, but not often, as for me--anything beyond a solid-mellow/comfortably-numb = unpleasant, and less-good at anything I might be trying to do.

@Mr Puddle, okay...looks like you're perhaps a touch over the healthy guidelines, so maybe a cutback could help the ol' liver a little bit. But, umm, relative to your buds--wow--I suppose you're just fineΒ ;-).Β  I've considered cutting back, myself...but I struggle with the "why?"--when I enjoy it ,and itΒ causes zero problems in my life.

------------

Β  Reveal hidden contents

:offtopic:Okay, soΒ there's an Ashley Madison ad on this page for me, lol.Β  1., NOT due to my cookies/history (at least this one, I promise!). 2., I thought that place died with their breach??Β  Must be tied into the thread topic somehow.Β :-P

Β 

Strange thing is that I thought I hardly drank anything for a golfer. No idea why you would want to cut back, you are virtually tea total. Anyway, I am from the camp who would prefer to die at 70 happy, than 80 being boring and miserableΒ 

- Simon Hornsby

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I LOVE beer! I don't love the calories. I have a few drinks after work every Wednesday and Friday with the boys. Normally a few on Sunday after the round. The little bar at the course where I work is a great place and I hang out there way too much.

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/4/2019 at 12:49 PM, Big C said:

Rough guess? 10 drinks per week - 520 per year. Seems like a lot when you type it out. But then I eat pretty clean otherwise and stay fairly active, so it hasn't punished my waistline quite yet. And since I never really drink enough to get hungover anymore, I don't have any compelling desire to cut back.

After reading mostly everyone's response I was not going to reply until this one. I drinkΒ more than even @Big C, but we are in the same ballpark. Most of my drinking has to do with work. If I am traveling it is 3-4 drinks on a light night, a heavy one will require 6-8. So, a one week trip could be 50 all by itself.Β When I am home I will generally have a 1-2 glasses of wine on the weekend, and maybe whisky on an odd night during the week. I am probably in the 600's or slightly more a year.Β 

I don't think of myself as an alcoholic because I am certain I could quit tomorrow and it wouldn't bother me. I'd miss the wine because searching for a good winery is a fun adventure as a weekend activity for my wife and I, but I think after a month or so I wouldn't miss it.Β 

I measure myself against my father and he drank probably in the 1,000s per year. He would tell meΒ about 2 martini lunches which he said was the norm when he was working. I am not anywhere near what he drank and I don't think he was a alcoholic either, maybe he was. He was never violent orΒ anything and he had one rule in life which he passed to me; "You can drink as much as you want at night, but you had better be to work the next day on time, if you are gonna die, die at work." That rule has stood me well over the years.Β 

Michael

(edited)

Im with you @mchepp.

I switch from beer to wine, depends how much I have inΒ my nakedwines account. But it might be 1-2 drinks a night. So probably around 600 a year too. Β I don’t consider myself an alcohol because,Β I also feel that I could give it all up tomorrow. Not a huge deal Β 

But that being said, I’m about to go have a margarita and mexican food. Cheers!

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach;Β Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI
Β 
TeamΒ :srixon:!

Probably average only a drink every couple of days maybe? Β The wife and I share a bottle of wine once, sometimes twice, a week, and I’ll drink a little more at gatherings.

Most days it’s just water and iced tea for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 3:14 AM, mchepp said:

After reading mostly everyone's response I was not going to reply until this one. I drinkΒ more than even @Big C, but we are in the same ballpark. Most of my drinking has to do with work. If I am traveling it is 3-4 drinks on a light night, a heavy one will require 6-8. So, a one week trip could be 50 all by itself.Β When I am home I will generally have a 1-2 glasses of wine on the weekend, and maybe whisky on an odd night during the week. I am probably in the 600's or slightly more a year.Β 

I don't think of myself as an alcoholic because I am certain I could quit tomorrow and it wouldn't bother me. I'd miss the wine because searching for a good winery is a fun adventure as a weekend activity for my wife and I, but I think after a month or so I wouldn't miss it.Β 

I measure myself against my father and he drank probably in the 1,000s per year. He would tell meΒ about 2 martini lunches which he said was the norm when he was working. I am not anywhere near what he drank and I don't think he was a alcoholic either, maybe he was. He was never violent orΒ anything and he had one rule in life which he passed to me; "You can drink as much as you want at night, but you had better be to work the next day on time, if you are gonna die, die at work." That rule has stood me well over the years.Β 

My friends mate puts Baileys on his cornflakes, that's an alcoholicΒ 

- Simon Hornsby

I usually have a bottle of craft beer or bottle of homebrew a day.
Usually while cooking dinner.
On the weekend I might have a second.Β 
When playing golf I will have 2 or 3 (one or two on course, one at bar), but none at home.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey Β Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

• 1 month later...

As I get older I don’t drink as much as I used to due to young family etc. I’ve lost the interest which is strange for an Irish man.Β 

I never drink one or two, when I drink I drink til I’m drunk, too drunk tbh. This is typical of the way most Irish people drink Β 

In my late teens early twenties I drank Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Ten pints minimum each day, probably 15 or more most times.

It wouldn’t cost me a thought to never drink again now. I don’t enjoy oneΒ or two and I can’t stand hangovers

Β 

Β 

Since I'm still in college it varies pretty wildly depending on the week/weekend. On a "normal" week I might have 1-3 beersΒ maybe twice a week or so, but if there's events going on that number can spike up to between 10 and 20 in a single afternoon and evening.

It's more than the government recommends, though I'm fairly certain it's not any kind of addiction since I have some months where I don't touch a drop the entire time and other months where there's stuff happening every weekend. It's mostly just in social situations, though I do enjoy a number of different beers for their taste alone.

Not enough 😜

I'm mostly a social drinker. I'll have a couple of drinks when I'm out with friends but not enough to put me over the legal limit if I have to drive. I watch my intake and alternate glasses of beer or wine with water. Once in a while I'll have a glass of scotch at home.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I have a beer or two about 5 days a week. Usually on one of those days it's more (week-ends etc,). I love my craft beers so I find it to be relaxing sitting on the deck after work having one or two with wife (she's usually a glass of wine).Β  I guess that puts me in the "heavy drinker" category? I don't drink to get drunk and I don't drive drunk. Oh well....I guess I'll have to live with it.πŸ˜€

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white)Β 

I've rode a Motorcycle since 1981 and have made it a habit to have no more than 1 beer.Β  I have 1 left out of a 6 pack I bought back last July.Β  A 5th will typically last me about a year.Β  I typically do not drink alcohol out on the course.Β  Maybe 1 drink after.

Β 

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:Β Β Β  :bushnell:Β Β Β  :sunmountain:Β Β  :ogio:Β Β  :titleist:
:mizuno:Β  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:Β  PingΒ G400Β fairway 3Β 
:cleveland:Β  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron setΒ  4-PWΒ  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:Β  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
Β :scotty_cameron:Β Β  Β Scotty Camron GOLO 3

• 2 weeks later...

3-4 glasses of wine a day... perhaps a gin & tonic, too, if I go out.Β  3-4 cigars, per year... at celebratory moments...Β Pebble Beach, Father's Day, birthday, etc.Β  No drugs per year; not even weed, which is legal in my state.Β  My teenager makes up for me there.

Oh, I do sip an Italian sports drink on the course to keep the swing loose.Β  (Tell nobody, it's a Pinot Grigio in an opaque canister).Β  No sips for bogey or worse, one sip for a par, two sips for a birdie, drink it all at once for an eagle or better.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

On a typical week, 0.5-1 bottles of wine in the weekend and maybe a couple small glasses of whisky.Β 

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• 1 month later...

Man o' man. This turned into a I don't drink thread. I drink a 1.75 liter bottle of Scotch a week at home. Plus 8 to 10 doubles a week at the bar after work/golf rounds. I'm not an Acholic, I don't goΒ to the meetings! I just like Scotch.

Note:Β This thread is 1837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!