IGNORED

Knee Drop Height - Absurd or Just Something to Get Used To?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Knee Drop Height  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following statements most accurately reflects how you think dropping from knee height?

• We'll get used to it pretty quickly.
    • It's still gonna feel weird in 2021.

16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Does the rule say it has to be dropped by your hand? I feel like there is an opportunity to create an item that will hold the ball and with the pull of a trigger release it at knee height. People are lazy enough to buy one :-P

Get on it.  There's stupider things advertised on Golf Channel already.  Make sure Sandtrap gets some samples so we can write reviews.  you could hire the guys that did the Square Strike Commercial - "The Golf Ball Dropper has changed my life, I even use it to hold my sandwich."

Make sure to pay the extra for the attachment that allows you pick up putts, place ball markers, and place a ball and tee in the ground.  Just GREAT for those exhausting driving range practice sessions.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 minute ago, rehmwa said:

Get on it.  There's stupider things advertised on Golf Channel already.  Make sure Sandtrap gets some samples so we can write reviews.  you could hire the guys that did the Square Strike Commercial - "The Golf Ball Dropper has changed my life, I even use it to hold my sandwich."

Make sure to pay the extra for the attachment that allows you pick up putts, and place a ball and tee in the ground.

Ooh, Matt, make sure you can also use it to more easily take the ball out of the hole with the flagstick still in it!

Surefire hit now!

P.S. I want 25% of the profits now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

use it to more easily take the ball out of the hole with the flagstick still in it!

Everyone's doing it!!!!!  Be like Bryson!

Great for seniors!!!

Bill - 

On 1/7/2019 at 8:07 AM, iacas said:

Most people only have to lower about 6". With your arms hanging at your sides, they're not as far above your knees as a lot of people seem to think.

This. I do like the drop with the arm forward while bent at the waist as shown in the link you provided.

On 1/7/2019 at 8:07 AM, iacas said:

I like #4 too. 😄

Yup. But it looks more like a #2... :-P

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

• Administrator

I still don't get this…

SpiethRoryBrysonDrops.jpg

Players have praised many rules changes, but one hasn't yet found its mark: the new drop rule, which dictates players drop from knee-height. A number of high-profile Tour players, from Spieth to Bryson DeChambeau to Rory...

When we look back at players dropping OVER their shoulders, as they did within the past few decades, that looks silly to us now. To those used to that at the time, dropping by holding your arm out at full length probably looked stupid.

And yeah, when you stand like Bryson, it looks pretty dumb.

But just stand like a normal person, and bend forward or to the side slightly, and it looks just fine, and better accomplishes what the USGA/R&A wanted it to accomplish: more balls staying in the relief area.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 1/7/2019 at 10:54 AM, rehmwa said:

I don't see a big deal.

Poor guy needs to raise the ball a bit, LOL

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Of course we will soon get used to it.  I'm an old timer that was around when you had to drop over your shoulder and dropping with an extended arm from shoulder height looked silly at first.  That's not what makes the rule "absurd" as Bryson DeChambeau commented.  It's just another case of the USGA making something way too complicated.  Instead of "knee height" all they had to do is say from "no lower than knee height".  That would give an out to a player who forgets until they all get used to it.  In a short amount of time everyone will be dropping from knee height and that will be that.  But by saying only knee height it puts rules officials in the position of looking like a bunch of anal idiots when they have to penalize someone 2 strokes for inadvertently dropping from shoulder height.  Us amateurs can joke about it, but if it happens to a professional it is a real penalty for doing absolutely nothing to gain an advantage.  Yes, it is absurd when it could have so easily been avoided.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, rtimi said:

It's just another case of the USGA making something way too complicated.  Instead of "knee height" all they had to do is say from "no lower than knee height".

The second sentence doesn't follow the first.

"Knee height" is, in fact, less complicated than "no lower than knee height." And the latter fails to accomplish their goals for the rules change: keeping more balls from bouncing/rolling out of the relief area.

That would give an out to a player who forgets until they all get used to it.

Why? Just drop from the right height. It's not like you can't re-drop if you drop improperly. So someone drops from the wrong height, and then someone else says "hey buddy!" and they re-drop for free from the correct height, no penalty.

But by saying only knee height it puts rules officials in the position of looking like a bunch of anal idiots when they have to penalize someone 2 strokes for inadvertently dropping from shoulder height.

If they see it, they'll just have the player re-drop.

Us amateurs can joke about it, but if it happens to a professional it is a real penalty for doing absolutely nothing to gain an advantage.  Yes, it is absurd when it could have so easily been avoided.  

Or, again, they can just follow the rules. Dropping from below shoulder height (or above it) was the same penalty before, and that didn't seem to cause many problems.

I think we'll adjust pretty quickly. I think it's going to be a non-issue.

And you agree with that, too, so… again, no need to make a big fuss when it'll soon be ancient history.

Took my first drop last week.  I had to remember the new rule; but, no issue.  Not fully sure why it has become a trauma for many duffers.

To rob from another phrase, just drop and watch it roll.

th-2.jpeg

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

11 hours ago, iacas said:

What are people whining so much about this? Just drop it from knee height and move on. No one is asking them to stand on one foot and rub their head while they drop.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

After a while we'll all be thinking how silly the old method was. If it lessens the chance of getting bad drops then all's good.

Besides, you could always use the Mark Crossfield way. Simply drop from knee height while at the same time jerking your knee towards the desired location then claim you have a nervous twitch :-P

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

2 hours ago, RussUK said:

Besides, you could always use the Mark Crossfield way. Simply drop from knee height while at the same time jerking your knee towards the desired location then claim you have a nervous twitch :-P

Blow your knee out doing it :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yeah, this is something that is easily adapted to. At least it should be. It's not a big deal in my opinion.

That said I am sure there will be golfers complaining that this new rule cost them strokes. Or those who would complain the ball was not dropped "exactly" from the dropper's actual knee distance. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, Patch said:

Or those who would complain the ball was not dropped "exactly" from the dropper's actual knee distance. 

Show 'em R1.3b(2) Accepting Player’s “Reasonable Judgment” in Determining a Location When Applying the Rules. :)

• Thumbs Up 1
"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

My wife has just had a hip replacement. She is practicing dropping using the lazy tongs she was given on leaving hospital.

Bu I wonder what 'held' is intended to mean.

1 hour ago, Asheville said:

Show 'em R1.3b(2) Accepting Player’s “Reasonable Judgment” in Determining a Location When Applying the Rules. 🙂

No, it's easier for me to ignore complainers. 😀

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

My wife has just had a hip replacement. She is practicing dropping using the lazy tongs she was given on leaving hospital.

Bu I wonder what 'held' is intended to mean.

You can hold in a fart and people don’t use their hands for that. 🙂

Note: This thread is 1817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!