Jump to content
iacas

Knee Drop Height - Absurd or Just Something to Get Used To?

Knee Drop Height  

81 members have voted

  1. 1. Which of the following statements most accurately reflects how you think dropping from knee height?

    • We'll get used to it pretty quickly.
      75
    • It's still gonna feel weird in 2021.
      6


87 posts / 5253 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Does the rule say it has to be dropped by your hand? I feel like there is an opportunity to create an item that will hold the ball and with the pull of a trigger release it at knee height. People are lazy enough to buy one :-P

Get on it.  There's stupider things advertised on Golf Channel already.  Make sure Sandtrap gets some samples so we can write reviews.  you could hire the guys that did the Square Strike Commercial - "The Golf Ball Dropper has changed my life, I even use it to hold my sandwich."

Make sure to pay the extra for the attachment that allows you pick up putts, place ball markers, and place a ball and tee in the ground.  Just GREAT for those exhausting driving range practice sessions.

Edited by rehmwa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 minute ago, rehmwa said:

Get on it.  There's stupider things advertised on Golf Channel already.  Make sure Sandtrap gets some samples so we can write reviews.  you could hire the guys that did the Square Strike Commercial - "The Golf Ball Dropper has changed my life, I even use it to hold my sandwich."

Make sure to pay the extra for the attachment that allows you pick up putts, and place a ball and tee in the ground.

Ooh, Matt, make sure you can also use it to more easily take the ball out of the hole with the flagstick still in it!

Surefire hit now!

P.S. I want 25% of the profits now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, iacas said:

use it to more easily take the ball out of the hole with the flagstick still in it!

 

Everyone's doing it!!!!!  Be like Bryson!

Great for seniors!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/7/2019 at 8:07 AM, iacas said:

Most people only have to lower about 6". With your arms hanging at your sides, they're not as far above your knees as a lot of people seem to think.

This. I do like the drop with the arm forward while bent at the waist as shown in the link you provided.

On 1/7/2019 at 8:07 AM, iacas said:

I like #4 too. 😄

Yup. But it looks more like a #2... :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I still don't get this…

SpiethRoryBrysonDrops.jpg

Players have praised many rules changes, but one hasn't yet found its mark: the new drop rule, which dictates players drop from knee-height. A number of high-profile Tour players, from Spieth to Bryson DeChambeau to Rory...

When we look back at players dropping OVER their shoulders, as they did within the past few decades, that looks silly to us now. To those used to that at the time, dropping by holding your arm out at full length probably looked stupid.

And yeah, when you stand like Bryson, it looks pretty dumb.

But just stand like a normal person, and bend forward or to the side slightly, and it looks just fine, and better accomplishes what the USGA/R&A wanted it to accomplish: more balls staying in the relief area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Of course we will soon get used to it.  I'm an old timer that was around when you had to drop over your shoulder and dropping with an extended arm from shoulder height looked silly at first.  That's not what makes the rule "absurd" as Bryson DeChambeau commented.  It's just another case of the USGA making something way too complicated.  Instead of "knee height" all they had to do is say from "no lower than knee height".  That would give an out to a player who forgets until they all get used to it.  In a short amount of time everyone will be dropping from knee height and that will be that.  But by saying only knee height it puts rules officials in the position of looking like a bunch of anal idiots when they have to penalize someone 2 strokes for inadvertently dropping from shoulder height.  Us amateurs can joke about it, but if it happens to a professional it is a real penalty for doing absolutely nothing to gain an advantage.  Yes, it is absurd when it could have so easily been avoided.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rtimi said:

It's just another case of the USGA making something way too complicated.  Instead of "knee height" all they had to do is say from "no lower than knee height".

The second sentence doesn't follow the first.

"Knee height" is, in fact, less complicated than "no lower than knee height." And the latter fails to accomplish their goals for the rules change: keeping more balls from bouncing/rolling out of the relief area.

2 minutes ago, rtimi said:

That would give an out to a player who forgets until they all get used to it.

Why? Just drop from the right height. It's not like you can't re-drop if you drop improperly. So someone drops from the wrong height, and then someone else says "hey buddy!" and they re-drop for free from the correct height, no penalty.

2 minutes ago, rtimi said:

But by saying only knee height it puts rules officials in the position of looking like a bunch of anal idiots when they have to penalize someone 2 strokes for inadvertently dropping from shoulder height.

If they see it, they'll just have the player re-drop.

2 minutes ago, rtimi said:

Us amateurs can joke about it, but if it happens to a professional it is a real penalty for doing absolutely nothing to gain an advantage.  Yes, it is absurd when it could have so easily been avoided.  

Or, again, they can just follow the rules. Dropping from below shoulder height (or above it) was the same penalty before, and that didn't seem to cause many problems.


I think we'll adjust pretty quickly. I think it's going to be a non-issue.

And you agree with that, too, so… again, no need to make a big fuss when it'll soon be ancient history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Took my first drop last week.  I had to remember the new rule; but, no issue.  Not fully sure why it has become a trauma for many duffers.

To rob from another phrase, just drop and watch it roll.

 

 

th-2.jpeg

Edited by DrMJG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, iacas said:

 

What are people whining so much about this? Just drop it from knee height and move on. No one is asking them to stand on one foot and rub their head while they drop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After a while we'll all be thinking how silly the old method was. If it lessens the chance of getting bad drops then all's good.

Besides, you could always use the Mark Crossfield way. Simply drop from knee height while at the same time jerking your knee towards the desired location then claim you have a nervous twitch :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, RussUK said:

Besides, you could always use the Mark Crossfield way. Simply drop from knee height while at the same time jerking your knee towards the desired location then claim you have a nervous twitch :-P

Blow your knee out doing it :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, this is something that is easily adapted to. At least it should be. It's not a big deal in my opinion.

That said I am sure there will be golfers complaining that this new rule cost them strokes. Or those who would complain the ball was not dropped "exactly" from the dropper's actual knee distance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Patch said:

Or those who would complain the ball was not dropped "exactly" from the dropper's actual knee distance. 

Show 'em R1.3b(2) Accepting Player’s “Reasonable Judgment” in Determining a Location When Applying the Rules. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife has just had a hip replacement. She is practicing dropping using the lazy tongs she was given on leaving hospital.

Bu I wonder what 'held' is intended to mean.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Asheville said:

Show 'em R1.3b(2) Accepting Player’s “Reasonable Judgment” in Determining a Location When Applying the Rules. 🙂

No, it's easier for me to ignore complainers. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

59 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

My wife has just had a hip replacement. She is practicing dropping using the lazy tongs she was given on leaving hospital.

Bu I wonder what 'held' is intended to mean.

You can hold in a fart and people don’t use their hands for that. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...