IGNORED

Can I Use These Gloves NFL Players Use for Rainy Golf?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm reading this, and I'm thinking, how do the gloves work in rainy conditions? Checked the comments in Amazon and there is mention that they don't work well wet. Oh well. But the question remains, is it possible to alter the characteristics of the polymer or whatever to work better in rain?

00gloves-grid-videoSixteenByNineJumbo160

What’s with all those one-handed catches? A new generation of silicone gloves is 20 percent stickier than the human hand, making them almost mandatory equipment.

Amazon.com: Under Armour Men's F6 Football Gloves: Sports & Outdoors

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• nevets88 changed the title to Can I Use These Gloves NFL Players Use for Rainy Golf?

I have a golf glove that I got from some defunct Australian company a while ago that has a pebbled pattern of a material that feels a lot like the tacky football gloves. The rest is polyester or something. It wasn't meant to be a rain glove but it's the absolute best glove in the rain I've ever found. The tacky material might be somewhat different than that found on football gloves, or maybe the pebble texture allows the polyester to wick the water away in a way that regular football gloves couldn't.

The problem with using the football gloves is that they're pretty stiff. They're not meant for gripping a golf club (footballs are much wider, obviously) so the material folds in your palm and you don't get great contact. I've actually used football gloves for baseball (and now slow-pitch softball) since I was a kid because the grip is so much better than leather baseball gloves, but you can definitely tell that they're not meant to bend like that. 

I bet if someone made gloves using that tacky material meant for golf they could figure something out. I know there was a company (maybe a TST sponsor or just a user) that came to the 2015 Newport Cup and gave us gloves with that football material. Those weren't bad but they were too stiff . They had the folding material problem that football gloves have. 

(I get very sweaty hands and have found that a good grip really, really help me in both baseball/softball and golf. I basically won't swing a golf club without a glove for fear that I'll let go of the club.)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I wear baseball batting gloves. They cost about $8 a pair. They tend to last much, much longer than a dedicated golf glove, while providing the same service.

I wear two gloves mainly to protect my hands fron sun damage. 

As for tackiness, I have always found that keeping club grips clean provide adequate tackiness. The grips last longer, as does the tacky quality of the grip. I clean my club grips twice a month, on average, and have never had problem keeping my grip. I am also one who does not change my club grips very often. 

I even clean the grime off, that I accumlate on my gloves. We clean the ball, club face, and club grip. Why not clean the glove(s) too. 

I don't know if there is a rule about adding a foreign material to gloves, and/or club grips to improve one's grip. That said, it's not unusual for me to see folks spraying stuff on their glove(s), and/or club grips during a round of golf. . 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator

Just wear rain gloves - they're designed to work when wet. Unlike those NFL gloves.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

Just wear rain gloves - they're designed to work when wet. Unlike those NFL gloves.

This ^^^

They work very well.  I even wear them when it’s extremely hot and humid when they work better with sweaty hands.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Like these? 

Essential rain-ready play with the RainGrip Pair golf gloves. Shop the #1 Glove in Golf with FootJoy today!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Like these? 

Essential rain-ready play with the RainGrip Pair golf gloves. Shop the #1 Glove in Golf with FootJoy today!

Yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 7 months later...

Interesting read. My problem is the humidity. I have to switch between three gloves a round at a minimum due to sweat and humidity. I’ve tried all different kinds of grips, cord, velvet etc. In SC the humidity is a killer and the tackiness of the glove allows me to fully stabilize my grip. I’m a firm believer that being a right handed golfer it is a left handed game. I have about a 5/10 grip with my left hand (somewhat strong grip), and I’m able to maintain this grip with minimal slip during my swing while utilizing a “tacky” glove. To each is their own though. 

Last week I bought some of the Footjoy rain gloves and then the rain didn't happen.   I thought I was going to use them yesterday but the couple I was golfing with decided to quit after 9 instead of playing 18 because of the rain.   I've yet to try the gloves!  I can't say I'm eager to try them either. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, ATLBraves said:

Interesting read. My problem is the humidity. I have to switch between three gloves a round at a minimum due to sweat and humidity. I’ve tried all different kinds of grips, cord, velvet etc. In SC the humidity is a killer and the tackiness of the glove allows me to fully stabilize my grip. I’m a firm believer that being a right handed golfer it is a left handed game. I have about a 5/10 grip with my left hand (somewhat strong grip), and I’m able to maintain this grip with minimal slip during my swing while utilizing a “tacky” glove. To each is their own though. 

Same problem here in Florida. I used the Golf Pride Z Cord and they are the toughest grips I’ve come across. They hold well even when soaked. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 1/20/2019 at 12:40 PM, iacas said:

Yep! I keep a pair of Foot Joy rain gloves in my bag just in case. The wetter they get, the better they grip! They are actually quite amazing. No slip!

12 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Yep! I keep a pair of Foot Joy rain gloves in my bag just in case. The wetter they get, the better they grip! They are actually quite amazing. No slip!

First time I put them on I was like, "these things are slippery". They are when they're DRY. Like you said though, the wetter they get, the better they grip. Yes they are amazing gloves.

I'm a two glove guy- and in humid, sticky weather, it's FJ rain gloves all the way. I have two pair in my bag and switch after 9 holes. No problem when starting and they're not quite wet enough, just grab a water bottle (or beer can) out of the cooler with both hands. pre-dampened and ready to go.

When I have worn rain gloves (Footjoy), I also make them soaking wet first.  They do not work well when dry. The issue I have is when it is cold and rainy, wearing cold, wet gloves can be mildly uncomfortable.

Brian Kuehn

On 9/7/2019 at 8:04 AM, dennyjones said:

Last week I bought some of the Footjoy rain gloves and then the rain didn't happen.   I thought I was going to use them yesterday but the couple I was golfing with decided to quit after 9 instead of playing 18 because of the rain.   I've yet to try the gloves!  I can't say I'm eager to try them either. 

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I bought some FJ rain pants, rain gloves and a bucket hat for a weekend golf trip about 10 years ago. The weather turned out okay on that trip, but I've used the pants and gloves for kids soccer, football and lacrosse games and for games in the Big House and Spartan Stadium. 
Overall I've probably used them 25-20 times, including last October I wore them for the 2nd time to play golf. 

The gloves work great few times I've used them for golf, but they also work well for holding an umbrella, or a cold or warm beverage of your choice. FWIW, the rain pants also double as excellent wind pants on colder windier days. Full disclosure, the bucket hat seems to work well, but it isn't my thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Players play, tough players win!

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

...FWIW, the rain pants also double as excellent wind pants on colder windier days. ....

Yes, I wear my rain suit much more for windy & cold days November to April than I do for actual rain during the season.

Brian Kuehn

Note: This thread is 1691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!