IGNORED

Who Is Your "Golf Villain"? And Why?

ChetlovesMer

Okay, I was thinking of this while hearing so many folks saying how they don't like Bryson DeChambeau. 

Personally, I don't like Sergio Garcia. … and I'm not even sure why. I just always find myself rooting against him. The same is true of Colin Montgomerie. I just always find myself rooting against him. 

My wife roots against Tiger. … I know, right?

So, who's your golf villain?
Do you know why, or do you just root against him or her? 

• Upvote 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Ian Poulter and Rory Sabbatini may come up a lot. I really don't hate them, but they do rub me the wrong way on occasion. They both seem to dislike the public and other players.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• iacas changed the title to Who Is Your "Golf Villain"? And Why?

The main two I don't really like are Billy Horschel and Bryson.  I used to not like Patrick Reed, but he's kept his trap shut recently and it's better, I guess. I just hate Billy's attitude around the course, always something to complain about with him.  Bryson is just annoying.  I appreciate the more data driven approach.  He's been playing great recently, so he can back it up.  But kind of like Reed, if he can keep his mouth shut, I'd like him a bit more.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I never could get excited about Phil.

Even back in 1991 watching him being interviewed as the lowest scoring amateur at the Masters the year Woosnam won it, his "Aw shucks" shtick rang hollow.

Over the next three decades it never got any better.

It was a real pain watching the 2013 British Open and finding myself being pleased for him. I suppose once in 30 years is permissible.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

My first choice is Rory Sabbatini. That guy suffered from ARP. He was a arrogant, rude, and pompous human being.

He could not control his temper either.

He represented profession golf in a bad way.

Plus he wasn't that good of a golfer in my book. 

Sabbatini makes today's bad boys look like saints. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

19 minutes ago, phillyk said:

The main two I don't really like are Billy Horschel and Bryson.  I used to not like Patrick Reed, but he's kept his trap shut recently and it's better, I guess. I just hate Billy's attitude around the course, always something to complain about with him.  Bryson is just annoying.  I appreciate the more data driven approach.  He's been playing great recently, so he can back it up.  But kind of like Reed, if he can keep his mouth shut, I'd like him a bit more.

Interesting take here. I like players like Bryson and Reed more when they don't keep their mouth shut. I love hearing insight into why they do what they do, and I think golf as a whole would be better off if there were more instances of drama and headlines about rivalries and players not liking one another.

The guys on NoLayingUp talked about tour players speaking their minds in their most recent podcast when they discussed Rory's quote about Hosung Choi's invite to the Pebble Beach Pro-Am, "

“If you watch it up until impact, he’s technically got a pretty good swing. He’s obviously a pretty good player. Whether that means he should be taking a spot away from a PGA Tour player at a PGA Tour event, I’m not so sure.”

Whether or not you agree with Rory, that is obviously his opinion which he is entitled to, and I think the more players that continue to speak their minds, the better off the PGA tour will be as a whole.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

11 minutes ago, klineka said:

Interesting take here. I like players like Bryson and Reed more when they don't keep their mouth shut. I love hearing insight into why they do what they do, and I think golf as a whole would be better off if there were more instances of drama and headlines about rivalries and players not liking one another.

The guys on NoLayingUp talked about tour players speaking their minds in their most recent podcast when they discussed Rory's quote about Hosung Choi's invite to the Pebble Beach Pro-Am, "

“If you watch it up until impact, he’s technically got a pretty good swing. He’s obviously a pretty good player. Whether that means he should be taking a spot away from a PGA Tour player at a PGA Tour event, I’m not so sure.”

Whether or not you agree with Rory, that is obviously his opinion which he is entitled to, and I think the more players that continue to speak their minds, the better off the PGA tour will be as a whole.

It's more of a humble (boasting) versus not thing for me.  I appreciate banter and their takes on tour news, etc.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

No surprise to those here who know me.   I root for anyone not named Tiger.  

DeChambeau is giving him a run for his money these days though!  :-D

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Ian Poulter just because he continually beats the US in Ryder Cups and I've seen him in action in person. Vijay is not one of my favorites (again seen him in person). I've seen/been around a few other guys who are jerks but they are not really worth naming. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

47 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Bryson is just annoying.

I don't get bothered by athletes (they have their lives, I have mine) but I see how people find him annoying with the whole "scientist" thing.  I consider anyone with a career in physics, medical/biological research, most engineering, and many other fields to be more of a scientist than someone with just 3 years as an undergrad physics major.  So he does go a bit overboard with the scientific and anatomical lingo, like he's trying to cram his intelligence down your throat.  Reminds me of the freshmen engineering students who would do math on their dorm windows like some wannabe Beautiful Mind character only to get a C+ on their Physics 1 exams.

My opinion is that a truly smart person can explain a complex issue in a simple manner, not the opposite.  Bryson takes 1000 words to say "I strained my shoulder".  I don't doubt he loves physical sciences and the data driven/biomechanical focused approach to golf.  He's doing his thing and it's working for him, but I don't know if I could sit down for a beer with him...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

I root against Rory, I have absolutely no idea why nor do I have any legitimate issues with him. I just don't like him.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

He doesn't play anymore, but Gary McCord was a douchebag on the golf course.  Tom Watson wasn't the most pleasant person either.  Back in the day, I thought Colin Montgomery was an ass, but I never really rooted against any particular golfer.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

2 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

I don't get bothered by athletes (they have their lives, I have mine) but I see how people find him annoying with the whole "scientist" thing.  I consider anyone with a career in physics, medical/biological research, most engineering, and many other fields to be more of a scientist than someone with just 3 years as an undergrad physics major.  So he does go a bit overboard with the scientific and anatomical lingo, like he's trying to cram his intelligence down your throat.  Reminds me of the freshmen engineering students who would do math on their dorm windows like some wannabe Beautiful Mind character only to get a C+ on their Physics 1 exams.

My opinion is that a truly smart person can explain a complex issue in a simple manner, not the opposite.  Bryson takes 1000 words to say "I strained my shoulder".  I don't doubt he loves physical sciences and the data driven/biomechanical focused approach to golf.  He's doing his thing and it's working for him, but I don't know if I could sit down for a beer with him...

That's pretty much it.  I mean I graduated with a Marine Biology major and a chemistry minor, and nearly a physics minor if I had taken another astrophysics class, but I don't consider myself a true scientist.  Same with Bryson, I don't consider him a scientist despite his approach to the game, and the fact that a lot of people (mostly on TV) call him something like that bothers me.  Maybe he isn't like that at all in person, IDK.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Justin Thomas, Bubba Watson, Ian Poulter.

Still rubbed wrong way by Justin Thomas having someone kicked out of a tournament for shouting something like "get in the rough!" when his ball was already in the air. Seemed like such a petty,  douche-baggy (not a word, but should be) thing to do.

Bubba seems like a big hicky crybaby to me.

Poulter just seems monumentally annoying.

All three are golf villains to me, and I'd generally root for someone else to beat them. Not claiming that my descriptions of them are are even faintly accurate. Just a feeling.

Edited by chspeed
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Foot Wedge said:

Reminds me of the freshmen engineering students who would do math on their dorm windows like some wannabe Beautiful Mind character only to get a C+ on their Physics 1 exams.

Oh my god, that cracks me up.

I'm a bit older so in my day everyone who saw the movie "Real Genius" started wearing bunny slippers to class because they thought they were Val Kilmer. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.