IGNORED

Warming Up Before Practicing Your Full Swing?

Note:Β This thread is 1899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Assuming you drive to the range, get out of your car, get the balls, and you want to work on your full swing... what is your normal warm up routine?

For me, it is a serious of exercises to warm up my shoulders, then my hips, then my wristsΒ Β .... then I do some swings with an Orange Whip, ..Β  it takes about 5 minutes, then I start hitting some short shots with my 7-9 iron, .... and after about hitting 8 balls, I am ready to go to work.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Drive to the first tee? πŸ™‚

I don't warm up. I should. I just rarely do.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Drive to the first tee? πŸ™‚

I don't warm up. I should. I just rarely do.

Sadly this is also me most of the time. If I do warm up it looks like this:

10 minutes putting/chippingΒ 

6 Flighted wedges

3 Full PWΒ 

3 Full 7IΒ 

3 Full 4H

3 Full 3woodsΒ 

3 Full Drivers

When the morning temps are cool enough to require me to warm up, I do some stretching, some upper torso twists, and then grab a wedge.Β 

First swings with that wedge are less than half swings, with little lower body movement.Β 

As I continue to loosen up, my swings get longer, and my lower body starts contributing more to my over all swings.

In reality, unless I am on a road trip in cold weather, I don't really warm up much. Especially in the warmer months. In July as an example. It could easily be 90* F something at 6am on on some courses Β I frequent. On those morning I just head to the first tee and go for it. .Β 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I used to hit the first tee and go for it!Β  Now, after a 4 week layoff from a range injury a few years ago, I do a self-designed 1.5 minute series of stretches that put me in good position to swing allΒ out.Β  They simply warm-up the key muscles in the full swing.

I should warm up more than I do.Β  Β 

Β 

I do some yoga stretches before I leave the house

I make sure to putt for about 10 minutes to get the speed of the greens.Β  Β I do some more stretching before taking full swings.Β Β 

Β 

Maybe this could be a New Year's Resolution!Β  Β Nah...Β 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

Workout beforehand or do super speed training.Β  Most of the time if I play at the home course, I just get on the gc2 for a few minutes and drive to the course.Β  If playing away, just take a few swings to feel the clubhead and go play.

Edited by ncates00

I try to mix it up, sometimes I'll do a good warmup-up with stretches but sometimes I'll go straight out to the first tee and do a quick stretch and even just step up to the tee without stretching and just go. I mainly do it because I've been in situations where I missed my alarm and had to go straight from my car to the first tee and go.

At my age, I have to warm up. I don’t go to the range unless time permits, but I do loosen up, stretch, do easy swings then fast swings. I want my range of motion to be there at the start.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 2/4/2019 at 1:49 AM, boogielicious said:

At my age, I have to warm up. I don’t go to the range unless time permits, but I do loosen up, stretch, do easy swings then fastο»Ώ swings. I want my range of motion to be there at the start.

Agree with this. If I don’t warm up beforehand, it’ll take me three holes before I feel like I can take a full swipe at the ball. Almost never good for the scoreΒ 

Chris.:roll:

I will always stretch for a few minutes before I start swinging, whether its on the range or on the first tee.Β  Most often I'll start with some half swings with a short iron, and work up to full swings.Β  Then I'll go to longer clubs.Β  If its just practice, as the thread title says, I do most of that with a mid-iron.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I used to always try to hit the range before a round, but that didn’t seem to help. NowI usually just take some swings with my Sklz (Orange Whip clone) trainer and try to stretch a bit.

If I am just at the range I swing the Sklz a few times, then start with my wedges and pitch shots.

Normally do some stretching focusing on my shoulders and wrists (injury prone for me) then start with small swings to loosen up.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-(Β 

In the bag: Driver:Β Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Yes, always. Same warmup for the range and for the course.

15 swings holding a club with my shoulders.
10 front to back moves with a club holding it from grip and face over my head.
10 all-around moves, itΒ΄s a mix of the 2 above.
15 soft swings with my driver griping it normally.Β 
It takes me around 3 minutes and itΒ΄s all I need toΒ start the practice session or hit on the first hole.

Addicionally for the course i practice 10 minutes chips, pitchs, lobs and sand shots andΒ 10 minutes of longΒ and short putts.Β Β 

I swing thru the rubber tee a half dozen times, or so, to wake up.Β  Then I swing a 7 iron until I get a couple good looking shots.Β  I repeat with a 4 iron then with a hybrid.Β  That's it...20 balls at the most.Β Β 

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Yep--pretty much a requirement as a nickname of Mr. Stiff would be apropos for me....

I stretch the big muscle groups for ~5ishΒ minutes...starting w/my silly-tightΒ hamstrings, then work my way up--hips, back, shoulders.Β  If I have my orange whip with me, I build my way up into long, stretching swings with it.Β  Once fully loose, I grab my 8-iron and do a few slow swings with pausing position checks A1 through A7 .Β  Finally, I do a few full swing "gate" drills with either a couple of tees as my gate, or a couple of bark chips from the bed just behind our mats, if they have us on the mats.Β  The whole deal may take me 9-10 minutes.Β  I've found it really effective.

A lot of times if I'm playing at my home club--which is all of 1/2 mile from my house--I'll do this stuff at home so I can go straight to hitting balls once at the course.

Β 

Wade Β  Β  Β  Β  -- Β  Β  Β  Β  "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver: Β Ping G400 LST 8.5Β°
FWs/Hybs: Β Callaway BB SteelheadΒ III 3w; TM R15 17Β° &Β 21Β°
Irons: Β Mizuno JPX825
Wedges: Β Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54Β° & 60Β°
Putter: Β Odyssey 2-ball

Note:Β This thread is 1899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!