IGNORED

Why Are There Three Lines On Mickelson's Golf Ball?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I totally missed the telecast of Pebble last weekend and missed this, don't know if this was explained on TV, but here are the details.

The lines, what Mickelson’s equipment manufacturer Callaway calls “Triple Track Technology,” are an example of vernier acuity, according to Carl Bassi, a Ph.D. professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis College of Optometry. In the simplest terms, vernier acuity refers to the ability of the brain to process subtle differences in alignment detected in the eyes. By having the right kind of multiple reference points (like a center line flanked by two parallel lines), the brain perceives the straightness of aim better. It’s a technology used in gun sights and the landing strips on aircraft carriers.

GettyImages-1128343069.jpg

Three lines on Mickelson's ball are a Callaway technology by way of octogenarian entrepreneur and optometry researcher aimed at improving your aim.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• nevets88 changed the title to Why Are There Three Lines On Mickelson's Golf Ball?

There have been studies done that show virtually no difference for people that use lines on the ball vs no lines on the ball when putting.

I'd be pretty surprised if suddenly 3 lines on a ball makes that much of a difference compared to just one or none.

This was just one study I found real quick about the line vs no line

Our test revealed that marking the golf ball with a line (as 70% of our test participants reported doing) provides no statistical advantage whatsoever over putting with an unmarked ball

https://mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-line-vs-no-line/

Edited by klineka
Removed words for clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

44 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I totally missed the telecast of Pebble last weekend and missed this, don't know if this was explained on TV, but here are the details.

Three lines on Mickelson's ball are a Callaway technology by way of octogenarian entrepreneur and optometry researcher aimed at improving...

I would find all that very distracting.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

This isn't anything really new, the KickX Tour Z golf balls (sponsor of the 2015 Newport Cup) had 3 lines on the golf balls.

kickx.jpg

I didn't use those lines for alignment either.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Dave Pelz has been selling this technology for over 15 years. 

513m8HwBemL.jpg.24d1ffa9d5de01ae1d95a4c26cbda7a2.jpg

I've actually had a set for about that long. I like to try to roll them down a metal yardstick as a way to practice my putting stroke in the winter months. 

I wouldn't want to use them in "real life" because it can literally take me like 10-30 seconds to get the damned thing lined up right and that's when it's on a metal yardstick not even aiming toward a target 10 or 30 feet away. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

There’s a patent for marking balls?

US20120264539A1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

50 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I would find all that very distracting.

Well Phil also said it would take him ‘a month to get used to a new ball’ so he’s probably got all kinds of ‘silly’ ideas about his golf ball.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Three lines on Mickelson's ball are a Callaway technology by way of octogenarian entrepreneur and optometry researcher aimed at improving your aim.

I was wondering what Doc Ock had been up to recently.

22BBAEE3-18E0-4CE4-8565-AB8D860A172E.jpeg.56090100ceca1c80be7adec53810e549.jpeg

(Yeah, I know what octogenarian means, but it was too close to let it pass by.)

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

He might have 3 lines on his putter that he tries to line them up with. 

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

9 hours ago, klineka said:

There have been studies done that show virtually no difference for people that use lines on the ball vs no lines on the ball when putting.

I'd be pretty surprised if suddenly 3 lines on a ball makes that much of a difference compared to just one or none.

This was just one study I found real quick about the line vs no line

https://mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-line-vs-no-line/

But who are these people on which the study was done? FWIW, I don't use a line on the ball either. When I address a putt, all I want to see is white! 

Only to marketing guys could that be called "technology"

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

9 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

But who are these people on which the study was done? FWIW, I don't use a line on the ball either. When I address a putt, all I want to see is white! 

It is based on this study.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 1 month later...

I heard someone (but I don't recall who) say that for some people lines on the ball are useful, for some not.  Perhaps a left brain/right brain sort of thing?  I have also heard the suggestion that one should place the ball with the line perpendicular to the target line, making it easier to actually align the putter with the ball.  I do imagine that if one was trying to align the ball, the three lines would make the process more accurate.  But I think it would drive me crazy.

56 minutes ago, jlbos83 said:

I heard someone (but I don't recall who) say that for some people lines on the ball are useful, for some not.  Perhaps a left brain/right brain sort of thing?  I have also heard the suggestion that one should place the ball with the line perpendicular to the target line, making it easier to actually align the putter with the ball.  I do imagine that if one was trying to align the ball, the three lines would make the process more accurate.  But I think it would drive me crazy.

I’m not sure how accurate I would be with that.  One thing to aim a line at a point. Trying to be 90* from it would be more difficult, I think.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Found one of the ERC Soft today and played it on my last hole.
The ball felt soft, good distance/ball flight, but did not like the three lines when used for lining up my putt.
Just couldn't quite focus on which line to use, the center line seemed correct, but the outer lines seemed misguiding.
Having different colors also seemed distracting, would probably prefer all black.
Also, I did not like the spacing between the lines. I would prefer the lines to be closers together.

Just my first initial thoughts on the lines, but playability of the ball, I was impressed. 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

3 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

I’m not sure how accurate I would be with that.  One thing to aim a line at a point. Trying to be 90* from it would be more difficult, I think.

I would think so, as well.  It might work with a "+" sign type thing, line one up to the target, the other would be perpendicular.  What do I know?  I usually don't even mark my ball.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

You'd be surprised. Some people see "perpendicular" more so than they see "parallel" or "pointing at."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!