IGNORED

Playing w/Sunglasses. Off for Shots, Right?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sunglasses  

51 members have voted

1. 1. When you play with sunglasses do you…

• … take them off for all or most shots.
    • … leave them on for all or most shots.

I'm feelin' alright and making good grades.  My golf game is such that I gotta wear shades.  Why squint if you don't have to?  The Clint Eastwood job is already taken.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
5 hours ago, NM Golf said:

My religious use of sunglasses while outside may be the reason I am pushing 50 with 20/20 vision.

No, that’s likely got almost nothing to do with it.

Sunglasses will help protect against other things though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 hours ago, nevets88 said:

The eye doctor recommended that I wear sunglasses while playing, so I just wore them all the time, even when I made a swing. I found it's harder to track the ball, but it didn't really effect my swing at all, but I think from now on, I'm going to take them off for shots so I can see the ball better. I've never noticed what other people do before, I think Duval just kept them on. I think ZJ does too. But some players take them off too? Is there a SOP (Standard Operating Procedure)?

What kind of sunglasses? I have prescription glasses as you recall. The Oakley Prism lenses for golf are great for tracking shots an give great contrast while been fairly bright (not Blues Brothers dark). I use them mountain biking too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I wear them all the time except when I putt. For some reason I feel like I have to take them off when I putt. That being said, today I might leave them on and see if it matters when I putt. I got the Oakley Prism glasses last year and that was a great investment. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

When I used to wear sunglasses I wore them for everything except for putting, for some reason I felt I couldn't read greens as well with sunglasses on.

A while ago I stopped wearing them all together.

I do usually play most of my rounds first thing in the morning though so occasionally I am looking into the rising sun so glasses would be nice for those holes.

I already have some Oakley frames so might have to check out the Prism lenses that multiple people have recommended. What do you guys like about them? 

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

8 minutes ago, klineka said:

When I used to wear sunglasses I wore them for everything except for putting, for some reason I felt I couldn't read greens as well with sunglasses on.

I do usually play most of my rounds first thing in the morning though so occasionally I am looking into the rising sun so glasses would be nice for those holes.

I already have some Oakley frames so might have to check out the Prism lenses that multiple people have recommended. What do you guys like about them? 

My brother-in-law has the prisms and he absolutely loves them.  I tried them out and I quite liked them as well.  I like the way things look through them.

He has the more square-looking ones, not the ZJ or Scott style.

15 minutes ago, klineka said:

They’re dark enough to reduce eye strain in bright light, but light enough to wear even in “cloudy bright” conditions.  I also seem to see the ball in the air a little better with them.

A side benefit to any sunglasses is that they help keep my eyes from tearing up in the wind, and often keep sand and other debris out of my eyes.

I keep them in my bag and only use them for golf.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

What kind of sunglasses? I have prescription glasses as you recall. The Oakley Prism lenses for golf are great for tracking shots an give great contrast while been fairly bright (not Blues Brothers dark). I use them mountain biking too.

I'm afraid it's not the sunglasses but my eyesight is just not good. Have never been great at tracking the ball even without sunglasses. I got a pair of Jim Maui's. I also have a pair of regular prescription sunglasses but have yet to try those while playing golf. I guess I should try the Prizms one day, wouldn't hurt to have a backup pair.

7 hours ago, Piz said:

I'm feelin' alright and making good grades.  My golf game is such that I gotta wear shades.  Why squint if you don't have to?  The Clint Eastwood job is already taken.

Off topic

Spoiler

50 thou a year will buy a lot of beer.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I used to wear sunglasses all the time while playing golf. Unfortunately I broke my favorite pair and haven't found anything I like as well as those. 
I pretty much left them on at all times. Unless it got overcast or something.

On a related note, everyone seems to like the Oakley Prizms. Has anyone out there tried the Under Armour "Tuned" golf sunglasses? I hear good things, but have yet to try em.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I need glasses to see and I don't use contacts.  If it's sunny, I'm taking every shot with my sunglasses on.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

When its sunny, I wear them all the time, except for some reason, I'm in the habit of putting them on top of my head when putting. No good reason really.

Thing is, most of my rounds start right before sun-up, and end by 9AM so there's usually not a ton of light and I don't need them.

The first time I tried to actually hit shots with sunglasses on, I had difficulty making solid contact (um...compared to without glasses 🙂 ). So I got in the habit of taking them off for shots. 

....And, predictably, this lead to me eventually losing a pair of glasses on the course, taking them off and dropping them to the ground preparing for a shot, and then getting caught up in the shot and forgetting them. 

Sun damage to lenses and corneae is a significant issue obviously, and we should wear sunglasses 100% of the time we are outdoors, year round, end of story. I don't, because I forget or get lazy or whatever. 

Ok I will maybe make this a golf goal: Always wear my sunglasses when playing golf. Hit balls on the range with glasses on to get used to it, but wear the glasses all the time anyway even before I've cured the ball striking problem. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Keep them on almost all the time. Might take them off sometimes when reading a green.

My eyes are set to a pretty high ISO setting, so I'm squinting a lot, especially in bright light. 

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

All this talk about Oakley Prizm sunglasses is getting me excited. I actually just bought a pair of those a couple of weeks ago. I've only worn them on the course once, but I liked them. Glad that other people swear by them. I had no idea they were so good.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Avoid cataract surgery. Wear sunglasses when outdoors. Pop for the Oakley golf specific lenses if you need to.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I've worn glasses since 4th grade.

Let 20 years or so, I switched to contacts with sunglasses.  Wore the sunglasses all the time except for putting.  Had problems looking out of the corner of my eyes, seeing the frame, yada yada yada.

Got prescription sunglasses a few months ago  Have not golfed with them yet, but I have been putting with them (since I won't be able to take them off during shots).

I've been lining up & hitting my putts by keeping the hole inside my glasses frame, and looking at the ball minimally, or out of the corner of my eye.  Seems to be working OK during practice. We'll see what happens when it counts. 

Note: This thread is 1825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!