IGNORED

The Cheating Thread

ChetlovesMer

On 6/24/2019 at 9:27 AM, phillyk said:

I used to play more regularly with a guy that would always find his ball no matter how certain everyone else was that his ball went OB or in a hazard.  He always found it, not necessarily finding it in a spot with a shot to the green but good enough.  If I ever play with him again (for money or with something on the line), I'll have him use different numbered balls when he changes balls or hits a provisional so I definitely know whether he's lying.

I played against a kid in a high school match that did that. I didn't call him out, but it definitely bugged me.

He who has the fastest cart has the best lie.

• Like 3

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can't say I have ever caught anyone cheating in a tournament setting.  There have been some dubious situations, like the "miracle silent ricochet" from deep in the woods back to the light rough.  Not sure how it happened but I did not see any sleight of hand.  My experience is that most problems arise from a player being unfamiliar with the Rules and/or honest errors in counting strokes.

Brian Kuehn

My opponent last week on the first hole which is a par 5:

1 drive

2. hit ball into creek

3. takes drop

4. duffs shot

5. into greenside bunker  ( i told him that he could take the ball out of the bunker as the bunker was in poor shape, but he declined my offer)

6. chunks shot and stays in bunker

7. hits out of bunker

8. chips on to green

9. sinks putt

It is match play and i was giving him a stroke.

In the cart he says "you got a 5, right?  I got a 7"  I told him, "No I had a 6  and you had an 8 ( i didn't count his chunk in the bunker as like I said the bunker was in bad shape)."  He said oh yeah I forgot about the penalty for hitting in the creek!  And apparently chunking in the bunker as well!! Lol.

Also:

Former brother-in-law told me this about his father and his fathers buddies:

His father would tell him what he and his buddies would shoot and my former B-I-L was surprised at how well they shot.  Well....

When someone gave them a gimme,  they didn't count the gimme as a stroke!  I guess they decided "gimme" was giving them a free stroke instead of the putt!!

Edited by Zekez

There was a guy we used to play with at company tournaments. When he arrived at the green, usually on line with his ball and the pin, would roll a ball toward the hole, to get a read on the putt. Then he would mark his ball, and pick up both as if nothing happened. He also showed us the ol' chapstick on the driver trick.

7 hours ago, Zekez said:

When someone gave them a gimme,  they didn't count the gimme as a stroke!  I guess they decided "gimme" was giving them a free stroke instead of the putt!!

When I first started golfing at age 16, that is what I thought a gimme meant. If my put came within a foot of dropping in, my dad would say "I'll give you that". To me it did not make sense otherwise as I could easily make the putt. I suppose if he was more generous and was giving me 3 footers I might have realized earlier. I think I found out a month or so later when my low scores were suspect with my old man.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Zekez said:

Ha ha ha.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 6/24/2019 at 10:27 PM, phillyk said:

I used to play more regularly with a guy that would always find his ball no matter how certain everyone else was that his ball went OB or in a hazard.  He always found it, not necessarily finding it in a spot with a shot to the green but good enough.  If I ever play with him again (for money or with something on the line), I'll have him use different numbered balls when he changes balls or hits a provisional so I definitely know whether he's lying.

My friends grandfather had the same luck all the time. We curbed it by "finding" other brands. If  he was in the rough and we found what could be his ball we would ask

-you played a titleist right?

-yeah yeah that is mine, very good

-oh too bad this was a srixon

He stopped after we found his actual ball a couple of times but he could not claim it.

Edited by klund
  • Upvote 1

The best one I’ve heard was a guy who hit his approach shot to a blind pin, searched for his ball and after 2-3 minutes he said he found it in the rough near the green. 

The first guy to putts out finds this other players “ original ball “ in the hole. It was a par 4. Would have been a eagle. Wrote 5 instead after a horrible chip and 2 putts. Must have been his conscious that got to him.

Serves him right for finding “ his ball “.

• Like 1

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

• Administrator

@NatalieB plalys against a girl who routinely finds "temporary water" all over the place when she doesn't have a very good lie. She's a bit of a bully, too, so she often gets her way even if nobody else agrees.

What's worse - and what I've clued Nat in to paying attention to - is that she'll often drop just a foot or two away… in an area where her feet are still in the same area where her ball was before (she often doesn't even "need" to see temporary water at her stance)… meaning that she didn't take complete relief. She also never seems to find the nearest point toward the rough, either. 😛

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

@NatalieB plalys against a girl who routinely finds "temporary water" all over the place when she doesn't have a very good lie. She's a bit of a bully, too, so she often gets her way even if nobody else agrees.

What's worse - and what I've clued Nat in to paying attention to - is that she'll often drop just a foot or two away… in an area where her feet are still in the same area where her ball was before (she often doesn't even "need" to see temporary water at her stance)… meaning that she didn't take complete relief. She also never seems to find the nearest point toward the rough, either. 😛

Too bad this stuff happens. But it’ll catch up to her eventually. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, Nagah said:

The best one I’ve heard was a guy who hit his approach shot to a blind pin, searched for his ball and after 2-3 minutes he said he found it in the rough near the green. 

The first guy to putts out finds this other players “ original ball “ in the hole. It was a par 4. Would have been a eagle. Wrote 5 instead after a horrible chip and 2 putts. Must have been his conscious that got to him.

Serves him right for finding “ his ball “.

A little off topic but shouldn't he have technically marked a 2?

I thought that once your ball is in the hole, you're done for that hole, and since it was an accident that he played another ball, that wouldn't be considered practice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Too bad this stuff happens. But it’ll catch up to her eventually.

That's sad. Wish Mom and/or dad intervene. Reputation lives with you for life.

Vishal S.

2 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yeah. She’ll learn the hard way apparently.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

5 hours ago, klineka said:

A little off topic but shouldn't he have technically marked a 2?

I thought that once your ball is in the hole, you're done for that hole, and since it was an accident that he played another ball, that wouldn't be considered practice.

Don't be naive... it wasn't an "accident".

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 3:43 PM, Papa Steve 55 said:

A lot of 12's can't break 90 if they have to hole everything. 

A lot of 12s can't break 90 most of the time, anyways. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• Administrator
6 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Pretty sure her dad taught her to do it. She’s only 14. 15 in a month.

Here is a subtle form of cheating.  I know a fellow who will play the members tees, then input his score for handicap indicating he played the forward tees.  Do this most of the time and you will likely get a stroke or two on your handicap you don't deserve.  Not enough of an advantage to get caught, but enough to turn the trick in a tight match.

Butch