IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

I played today.  Left the flagstick in... common sense.  My other course decided to remove the flags...  seems stupid to me....just don’t touch it.  I won’t bother playing there.

where did you play? Hickory Hill is not opening but Sagamore did.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is starting to have a effect, friends don't want to play, they're just staying home. I've been told they have removed sand trap rakes due to the fear of spreading the virus, I think that is a little much but.... Friends are worried about using a golf cart or being near other players. We're in New York, outside the NYC on Long Island. NY has the highest number of cases according to the news. But I'm going to play as soon as this darn weather clears. Went to the range yesterday, hit them nicely, can't wait to get out, maybe tomorrow.

My mother is in a nursing home, 92 years old, can't visit her.

So, really bored at home, TV sucks, don't want to look at my 401Ks, chores are all done, so I'm on TST reading. Please don't mind the rambling.

The Michigan governor closed all golf courses thru the end of the month but I just received an email from a local course stating they were open and making modifications so people could play.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

22 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

It is starting to have a effect, friends don't want to play, they're just staying home. I've been told they have removed sand trap rakes due to the fear of spreading the virus, I think that is a little much but.... Friends are worried about using a golf cart or being near other players. We're in New York, outside the NYC on Long Island. NY has the highest number of cases according to the news. But I'm going to play as soon as this darn weather clears. Went to the range yesterday, hit them nicely, can't wait to get out, maybe tomorrow.

My mother is in a nursing home, 92 years old, can't visit her.

So, really bored at home, TV sucks, don't want to look at my 401Ks, chores are all done, so I'm on TST reading. Please don't mind the rambling.

I choose to err on the side of caution.  Played yesterday... never touching a flagstick.  But thanks for reminding me that I raked a trap nonchalantly, not even thinking about it.  

Club is closed. No locker room, no carts, no caddies, no guests, but we can walk and carry our bag. 

Golf trip to Ireland the last week of April is a no go. 

Edited by phan52

Bill M

12 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I choose to err on the side of caution.  Played yesterday... never touching a flagstick.  But thanks for reminding me that I raked a trap nonchalantly, not even thinking about it.  

Played yesterday without touching flagstick, and like you I raked a bunker and didn't even think about that until now.  

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

Played yesterday without touching flagstick, and like you I raked a bunker and didn't even think about that until now.  

Dang!  Certain things are so ingrained.

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

Oh, and the more important question is:  What in the heck are we doing in bunkers???!

I'm seeing more videos that show Facetime usage, teaching via videoconferencing, in my social media feeds. Guessing some instructors aren't traveling as much.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

The Michigan governor closed all golf courses thru the end of the month but I just received an email from a local course stating they were open and making modifications so people could play.   

The governor's office has clarified the closure.  It only applies to the dining, drinking and meeting spaces of clubs and golf courses.  The public and members are still allowed to play golf, just no drinking and eating afterward.

We played today at one of the few courses that seemed to understand the "ban" early on.  Several foursomes had each person driving their own cart (extra charge).  That tended to make the place look busier than normal.  I doubt that will fly come summer if we are still under the COVID cloud.  Many courses only have sufficient carts for the expected traffic and can't send out 4 carts per group.

I feel bad for the cashier.  He had to be exposed to close to 100+ people while most of us had limited exposure to the members in our group.  Potentially dangerous work for $10 an hour.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

1. Yes, in that we checked into the Encore Sunday only to find out at dinner that the whole Wynn property was shutting down Tuesday. Our Wynn GC tee time was Tuesday but seeing that only 3 groups were golfing on Monday we got our round in and had a great time. That was a fun course!

2. I hope it only helps my game because if it ends up hurting it would likely be from me catching the darn thing. 

Having fun in a quiet Vegas, we also played some course built after several Scottish links holes. A fun day out ending with a crazy uber ride.

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

3 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

The governor's office has clarified the closure.  It only applies to the dining, drinking and meeting spaces of clubs and golf courses.  The public and members are still allowed to play golf, just no drinking and eating afterward.

We played today at one of the few courses that seemed to understand the "ban" early on.  Several foursomes had each person driving their own cart (extra charge).  That tended to make the place look busier than normal.  I doubt that will fly come summer if we are still under the COVID cloud.  Many courses only have sufficient carts for the expected traffic and can't send out 4 carts per group.

I feel bad for the cashier.  He had to be exposed to close to 100+ people while most of us had limited exposure to the members in our group.  Potentially dangerous work for $10 an hour.

I got a couple emails from courses saying they were open for golf.     I did see where the governor clarified the golf situation. 

Thanks.

3 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

+1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

I posted this elsewhere, but…

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, boogielicious said:

where did you play? Hickory Hill is not opening but Sagamore did.

I played at The country club of Billerica.  I’ve been working there in the pro shop.  We’re open!

I heard about Hickory Hill closing, seemed weird because the only other ones I heard about closing were city or town owned courses... The Meadows in Peabody and Fresh Pond.

• Thumbs Up 1

It has officially impacted me now.

I along with @CarlSpackler, @klineka and @Bonvivant were supposed to play the Irish Open 2, the sequel at Bent Tree Golf Club. 

Well the both the Irish Open and The Irish Open 2 have been postponed until further notice. 

I guess I'm not surprised. A little disappointed I was looking forward to actually meeting a couple of the gentlemen from this fine forum. For now, that will have to wait. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

12 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

It has officially impacted me now.

I along with @CarlSpackler, @klineka and @Bonvivant were supposed to play the Irish Open 2, the sequel at Bent Tree Golf Club. 

Well the both the Irish Open and The Irish Open 2 have been postponed until further notice. 

I guess I'm not surprised. A little disappointed I was looking forward to actually meeting a couple of the gentlemen from this fine forum. For now, that will have to wait. 

Hopefully it will get rescheduled. If not, we will have to find another way to get together. Bummed about this, was looking forward to it as well.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

22 hours ago, snapfade said:

What does your stock of Fuente's look like?

OOOOOOH!

22 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm not selling any of those, but I could part with some beat up golf balls I found on the edge of the pond on #13.  Cheap.  Or I could sell you a used flat putting cup, marked down 50%.

Oh, come on man! I remember when the Fuente Fuente Opus X made its debut! Back then, that cigar was like TP is now! Couldn't find it anywhere. Then a buddy of mine went to a conference in Philadelphia, and asked the Concierge at the hotel which was the best tobacconist in town. The guy gave him a name and directions. My buddy went there, walked in the door, and they didn't even have a humidor! Why! Because the entire store WAS the humidor! 

He came home with a few precious sticks, and he presented me with one on a fishing trip to Canada. Best cigar I have ever enjoyed, and it lasted for hours! 

15 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

OOOOOOH!

Oh, come on man! I remember when the Fuente Fuente Opus X made its debut! Back then, that cigar was like TP is now! Couldn't find it anywhere. Then a buddy of mine went to a conference in Philadelphia, and asked the Concierge at the hotel which was the best tobacconist in town. The guy gave him a name and directions. My buddy went there, walked in the door, and they didn't even have a humidor! Why! Because the entire store WAS the humidor! 

He came home with a few precious sticks, and he presented me with one on a fishing trip to Canada. Best cigar I have ever enjoyed, and it lasted for hours! 

Yes but was it the Lewinsky version?

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Note: This thread is 1478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!