IGNORED

Pre-Round Routine

humblepeasant
Note: This thread is 762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pre-round routine  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How much time to you spend in the practice area (range, chipping, putting, etc.) before teeing off?

• Walk straight to the first tee (maybe some stretching, warm-up swings)
    • Under 10 minutes
    • 10-20 minutes
    • 20-30 minutes
    • Over 30 minutes

I probably spend 20 minutes or a little more most days.  First some stretching to start to loosen things up.  Then some short irons, slow or partial swings first, progressing to full swings.  Next a mid-iron, progressing from easy effort to proper full swings.  Maybe 5 or 6 drivers.  Then back down, a few mid-irons, a few short irons.  To the putting green, mostly 20 to 30 footers feeling for speed, alternating with a few 4 to 6 footers to practice hitting my line.  Back to the range, a couple more drivers (or whatever I'm swing on the first tee), and off to the course.  

For a competition, I'll typically arrive a bit earlier, start with a few putts, then a few chips, and then into the same basic sequence as I outlined above.  If I'm not at my home course, I'll spend more time chipping to watch the behavior of the ball when it lands, and more time with longer putts to get adjusted for the speed.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I take around 10-15 minutes. I stretch a little then go to the short game area and hit wedges for a few minutes to get a rhythm. Then I go over to the regular range and hit some seven irons and 5-6 drives. the putting green is right next to the first tee and all I really try to gauge there is the speed that day. Works for me. 

Bill M

Changed a bit since I have gotten older.  If I have the first tee time at 6:15 AM, i just go hit one from the tee box and play it.  If I play a little later, I generally hit 10 to 15 balls.  5 wedge, 5 with 7i, and 2 to 5 with driver.  I like to putt on the practice green for 5 to 10 minutes if I can.  That's it...

It’s funny cause this is the year I’m starting to get older and wiser (turn 36 next week...age is relative) and stopped doing full range sessions for like an hour before play. Hit just enough shots to get comfortable and see what shot shape I brought that day and then 5-10 minutes putting to figure out speed and hit a few 5 footers to gain confidence.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Get there 30  min. early  -- set my stuff up swing the iron with a swing sock  -- putt a few mins.  -- swing the iron some more -- chip a little -- swing the iron  -- tee off..........  

• 2 weeks later...

Arthritis has started limiting how many times I can strike the ball and still enjoy playing.  So I go through a stretching routine that takes about 30 minutes (used to do that at the Clubhouse, which is now mostly closed); about 15 minutes of putting to see how the greens are rolling that day. I usually carry a SKLZ Gold weighted club to swing a few times on the first tee. If I’m just walking nine, I’ll just go to the first tee, swing the weighted stick a few times and go.  

A couple of years ago I alternated no preparation (besides stretching) and a full 60 minute routine out of curiosity. There was no correlation between between how I prepared and how I scored. 

• Like 1

The most important thing to me is to get a feel for the putting speed that day.  Unfortunately, lately a lot of courses I play these days don't have open putting greens :-( 

If I can, 20 minutes or so at the range (when I play with friends at an LA City course, we'll often split a 30-ball bucket), a few minutes chipping, and then 10 minutes getting a feel for the speed (4, 7, 10 step putts, plus some short ones).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 1 year later...

I've never really thought about this before, which is silly really.  When I played competitive table tennis I always had a routine before a match, and certainly being a bit warmed was worth several points to me.

Like other posters, I hate being late and hate feeling rushed, so I always aim to arrive at least 15 mins before my tee time, and I factor in a further 10 mins for traffic and unexpected delays on the way.  I only live 15 mins from the course, but sometimes there are slow vehicles, fallen trees, closed roads, etc, so I always build in some contingency.  If that means I arrive 25 mins early, it just means I'm in no rush.

That said, it means I am often there 25 mins early, and I don't make systematic use of that time at all.  I will do some putts - usually focusing on short ones to build confidence, and then longer ones and getting down in 2.  But I probably wouldn't spend more than 5 mins on that.  We have a net for hitting balls into, but I don't enjoy it, and I don't feel like I can get much feed back and there's not much reference for ball flight and starting line.  I might hit half a dozen 8Is just to feel like I hit the ball.

I'll usually then loiter waiting for the people ahead of me.  I think I can do better!  I'm playing today, so here's my plan:

When I arrive, actually go into the changing room, rather than changing in the carpark.  In the changing room do a few stretches and lunges and balances (similar to table tennis) to fire up the nervous system and warm up a bit.  Then take a walk down to the short practice area (it's right at the bottom of the range, so 3 mins walk at least).  Set a timer for 5 mins.  Drop 3 balls, and do some chips at various targets, and drop a 3 in the bunker and get them out.  Repeat.  When the timer goes off, head up to the long range practice area.  Drop 20 balls, hit 4 PW, 4 8I, 4 6I, 4 4H, 4 Driver.  Then walk to the putting green.  Do the 8 balls 3 feet around a hole drill on one hole.  Then pick a different hole, and drop the  ball 16 feet away, drop 5 balls.  Aim to put them in under 10.  If there's time, repeat.

Pick up balls, go to tee.  Profit!

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

I probably only use about 20 mins, but give myself 30 because I don’t like to feel like I’m rushing.  I’ll loosen up the body and get the fluids (synovial, not booze haha) going, hit 15-20 balls (half shots to full shots), use the last 2-3 balls to “play the first hole” (driver/approach or driver/hybrid/approach), then hit some chips and putts.

FWIW being a golf course employee for the last 17+ years, people that arrive 15 minutes or less before their tee times...you drive us crazy. In fact, at my course if you don't check in AT LEAST 15 minutes prior we can, will, and enjoy giving your time to people on the wait list. I mean come on, be on time, and showing up right at your tee time IS NOT being on time.  If you're standing in the pro shop 5 minutes before your tee time, your chances of getting to the tee on time are highly diminished. If you are not on the tee at your time, you are now the fly in the ointment. 

It may seemed calloused, but I just have no patience for lateness. In fact it is probably my biggest pet peeve. 

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

42 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

FWIW being a golf course employee for the last 17+ years, people that arrive 15 minutes or less before their tee times...you drive us crazy.

I hate that too! I’ll be there minimum 30 minutes before but I have friends that show up 5 minutes before. They’ll be late for their own funerals.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

47 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

FWIW being a golf course employee for the last 17+ years, people that arrive 15 minutes or less before their tee times...you drive us crazy.

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I hate that too!

Lol, I do this every round at my home course. However I play the first tee time of the day on Sunday morning, and the sleepyhead college kid who opens the pro shop is usually not even at the course when I arrive. There have been a few times when my group just teed off and checked in and paid when the round was over.

If I'm playing at a different course, I always plan to arrive at least 30-45 minutes ahead of tee time.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I arrive a minimal of 30min early. Nerves are usually giving me a good case of gurgle belly. Basic stretching at the practice tee before I make that ever important first swing. If the club feels like an oak branch and I shank it, I check to see if the beer cart is on course that day.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

FWIW being a golf course employee for the last 17+ years, people that arrive 15 minutes or less before their tee times...you drive us crazy. In fact, at my course if you don't check in AT LEAST 15 minutes prior we can, will, and enjoy giving your time to people on the wait list. I mean come on, be on time, and showing up right at your tee time IS NOT being on time.  If you're standing in the pro shop 5 minutes before your tee time, your chances of getting to the tee on time are highly diminished. If you are not on the tee at your time, you are now the fly in the ointment. 

It may seemed calloused, but I just have no patience for lateness. In fact it is probably my biggest pet peeve. 

A guy who joins up know and then is notorious for arriving just in time.  I still live by my Army days of the “ if your on time your late motto”!  I get there at least 45 minutes early.

Many times we are on the tee and see him walking casually behind his electric push cart, not a care one the world. I usually say let’s go, he can catch up!  Which he doesn’t most times.  He’s on his own clock so we just leave him. He’s just too slow.  If your a pace of play and rhythm type player he’s not a guy you want to play with.  Sometimes we just don’t have a choice.  I’m 6’5” and walk very fast pushing my non-electric cart as does everyone else. He just can’t take the hint.

My routine has changed many times throughout the years as I moved from different clubs.  I do like to get to the course at least 45 minutes to check in and after that, head over to the range for about 15 or 20 balls and chip, and maybe some stretching.  It also depends if it's a casual day or an important round to me then I would spend about 20-30 balls, chip and putt.

Many of my guys hits their first ball on the first tee and I try not to do that.

18 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I arrive a minimal of 30min early. Nerves are usually giving me a good case of gurgle belly. Basic stretching at the practice tee before I make that ever important first swing. If the club feels like an oak branch and I shank it, I check to see if the beer cart is on course that day.

I prefer to arrive early as well. Generally to have plenty of time to organize but also to inquire about an earlier time in case of no shows, or to see if my wife and I are paired with randos. If there is an opening head to tee with no warm-up. If not, maybe a few balls just to loosen up, and/or a few putts, and/or get a beverage. I think this counts as no routine.

I do have a pre-competition routine that starts with loosening up with several 7 and/or 5 iron shots, including a 5 iron feet together, 1/4 swing warm-up. Then step up through a couple longer clubs to a few driver shots. Move to shorter clubs/wedges including pitches and chips. Off to putting mainly to gauge speed. Finally apply liberal/excessive quantities of sunscreen and try to get the residue of my non-glove hand, and relax for a bit.

I try to get to the course 45 minutes early because I hate feeling rushed and I want to be relaxed. I will start by chipping just to get the feel of a ball on the club face and then go to the practice tee. I start with a short iron (pw/9) and get loose. Then try to hit a few shots with that club. I progress to a medium iron for 5 or so shots and a long iron.  Next up are 3 wood and driver with 3 swings on each. Maybe an extra ball or two if I don't hit them solid, but the other day I hit driver 2x and moved on. I will finish with 70 yard wedges and then hit 3 bunker shots. Last is chipping and putting next to the first tee.  Putting is 3 and 6 footers and then some 25 footers for speed.  Tee it up and go. 

If I am playing the early bird with my non-serious group, I will chip and putt and take quite a few practice swings to get warmed up. If I can find 3 ratty balls somewhere I may hit the 9 iron. Then its to the tee. 

I try to take my time as I feel that this sets the pace for the round. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!