humblepeasant

Pre-Round Routine

Pre-round routine  

70 members have voted

1. 1. How much time to you spend in the practice area (range, chipping, putting, etc.) before teeing off?

• Walk straight to the first tee (maybe some stretching, warm-up swings)
    • Under 10 minutes
    • 10-20 minutes
    • 20-30 minutes
    • Over 30 minutes

61 posts / 3015 viewsLast Reply

I probably spend 20 minutes or a little more most days.  First some stretching to start to loosen things up.  Then some short irons, slow or partial swings first, progressing to full swings.  Next a mid-iron, progressing from easy effort to proper full swings.  Maybe 5 or 6 drivers.  Then back down, a few mid-irons, a few short irons.  To the putting green, mostly 20 to 30 footers feeling for speed, alternating with a few 4 to 6 footers to practice hitting my line.  Back to the range, a couple more drivers (or whatever I'm swing on the first tee), and off to the course.  

For a competition, I'll typically arrive a bit earlier, start with a few putts, then a few chips, and then into the same basic sequence as I outlined above.  If I'm not at my home course, I'll spend more time chipping to watch the behavior of the ball when it lands, and more time with longer putts to get adjusted for the speed.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I take around 10-15 minutes. I stretch a little then go to the short game area and hit wedges for a few minutes to get a rhythm. Then I go over to the regular range and hit some seven irons and 5-6 drives. the putting green is right next to the first tee and all I really try to gauge there is the speed that day. Works for me. 

Changed a bit since I have gotten older.  If I have the first tee time at 6:15 AM, i just go hit one from the tee box and play it.  If I play a little later, I generally hit 10 to 15 balls.  5 wedge, 5 with 7i, and 2 to 5 with driver.  I like to putt on the practice green for 5 to 10 minutes if I can.  That's it...

It’s funny cause this is the year I’m starting to get older and wiser (turn 36 next week...age is relative) and stopped doing full range sessions for like an hour before play. Hit just enough shots to get comfortable and see what shot shape I brought that day and then 5-10 minutes putting to figure out speed and hit a few 5 footers to gain confidence.

Get there 30  min. early  -- set my stuff up swing the iron with a swing sock  -- putt a few mins.  -- swing the iron some more -- chip a little -- swing the iron  -- tee off..........  

Arthritis has started limiting how many times I can strike the ball and still enjoy playing.  So I go through a stretching routine that takes about 30 minutes (used to do that at the Clubhouse, which is now mostly closed); about 15 minutes of putting to see how the greens are rolling that day. I usually carry a SKLZ Gold weighted club to swing a few times on the first tee. If I’m just walking nine, I’ll just go to the first tee, swing the weighted stick a few times and go.  

A couple of years ago I alternated no preparation (besides stretching) and a full 60 minute routine out of curiosity. There was no correlation between between how I prepared and how I scored. 

The most important thing to me is to get a feel for the putting speed that day.  Unfortunately, lately a lot of courses I play these days don't have open putting greens :-( 

If I can, 20 minutes or so at the range (when I play with friends at an LA City course, we'll often split a 30-ball bucket), a few minutes chipping, and then 10 minutes getting a feel for the speed (4, 7, 10 step putts, plus some short ones).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades