IGNORED

Pre-Round Routine

humblepeasant
Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pre-round routine  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How much time to you spend in the practice area (range, chipping, putting, etc.) before teeing off?

• Walk straight to the first tee (maybe some stretching, warm-up swings)
    • Under 10 minutes
    • 10-20 minutes
    • 20-30 minutes
    • Over 30 minutes

I'm usually someone who walks straight to the first tee, but I've recently been reconsidering that. The first shot always feels a little uncertain...just hitting a handful of balls beforehand might be nice. Also, sometimes I just have off-days chipping/putting on the course, so it might be nice to try and work out any kinks before heading out (just 5-10 minutes maybe). Just curious what others on here do. The people I usually play with tend not to practice at all before a round.

I hit 15-20 balls, just to get the old joints and muscles moving.   Followed by 5 minutes on the practice green to get a feel for the speed for the day.  Call it 15 minutes total...

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A friend of mine has a phrase, "Three before the first tee." He isn't talking about hitting range balls. 🍺

As for me, I like to hit some putts to get a feel for the green, but I mostly stretch out my back, hamstrings and calves. Sometimes I will hit some balls at the range, but I usually don't. If I have some more time, I will spend some time chipping to the practice green too.

• Like 1

- Shane

I am going to say 10-20 minutes but it's more complicated than that.  Most days I do a 30 minute stretching routine whether I'm playing or not.  So assuming my stretching is reasonably close to my tee time, I'm likely to show up and do 5 minutes of quick stretching and less than 5 minutes on the putting green (if I'm familiar withe the course).  If I'm not pre-stretched I often take a good 10-15 minutes to stretch out and if I'm not familiar with the course I will putt for at least 10 minutes.

I almost never hit balls before I play and many of the courses I play do not have ranges anyway.  If I do use a range on a rare occasion, AFTER a lot of stretching I will hit no more than 10-15 full swings although I may chip/pitch several balls as well. 

I think you get the message, stretching is important to me.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Kind of depends on the sort of round.

If it is casual and I don't have a tee time, it's probably 20-30. A small bucket of range balls is always part of the routine if a range is available at the course I'm playing. Then, we'll do a couple volleys of chips and putts. Cut it to 10 if the range isn't available.

When there is a specific tee time or event, I show up very early. It's a personal habit of mine. In that situation I'll slow everything way down and break it up by stopping in the restaurant sitting somewhere quiet for a bit.

• Like 1

I voted 20-30 minutes, but it depends on the round. If it's a casual round with friends (the majority of my rounds) I typically don't hit balls first, usually just a few chips and putts mainly to get the feel for the green speeds.

If it's a tournament round, I almost always hit balls prior, so I usually arrive 1 hour prior to tee time. Spend about 20-30 minutes hitting a small bucket, then another 20 or so getting a feel for the green speeds with a few extra minutes to get scorecards, pay, meet my playing partners, etc.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

I always try to get to the clubhouse about an hour before tee time. By the time I get through all the 'hi, how are ya' people, I've lost 15 minutes. Then it's to the driving range, for a medium bucket, then the chipping area for 10 -15 minutes, and finally the putting green.

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

My goal is always to have time to loosen up at the range for about 20-30 minutes, and then chip and putt for another 15 or so minutes.  I try to get to the course about an hour before my tee time, which usually works out, but days like yesterday we showed up with plenty of time to warm up, but when we checked in they said if you go now you'll beat the late afternoon rush so we decided not to wait 45 minutes and went to the first tee.  Sometimes it's good not warming up as I'm not swinging harder than I should be, but then it takes me 4-5 holes to feel lose.  Double edge sword I guess.

• Like 1

Gus
---------------

I like to play early so warming up is more akin to waking up.  Basically just clearing the cobwebs.  

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

As a rule of thumb, it will be straight to the tee, though I will make it a point to stretch and swing a few times.  Occasionally, I will wind up early for my tee time, and then I will warm up properly.  Hit balls for at least 5 to 10 minutes.  At least 5 minutes putting.  Some chipping/putting if possible also

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Most of the time, I’ll just walk straight to the first tee. A lot of the time, I can hit a decent shot without hitting any balls beforehand. But if it’s a match or tournament day, I’ll spend about 45 minutes warming up.

• Like 2

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

20 minutes for me. Being my first "full season" of golf, I have taken to better preparing for the round in hopes for much more consistent play. For me this includes stretching, chipping and putting to gauge the speed of the greens and mental preparation. The last piece has proven to help me quite a bit with clearing my mind, concentrating on my swing thought for the day and reviewing my shot zones for the upcoming hole. 

I try to do most of the mental prep work on the drive to the course, although I always need help mentally.....

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

If it's not league night (no driving range). I will warm up at the range and find out how the swing feels. Then I will go putt a bit to get the green speeds. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Like a lot of folks here, this varies for me greatly. 
If giving my druthers I'd warm up for an hour before the round. Or, I'd play 9 holes to warm up before playing my 18. Of course, this is rarely possible, except when playing a tournament of some kind.

I would say 9 times out of 10 I walk from the car to the first tee box. … Sometimes, run. Very often the total elapsed time between shutting off my car engine and hitting the first tee shot is less than 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

For me, probably 10-20 minutes of some warm up range work. The last club I would use would be the same club I woulduse on the first tee.

Another pre round prep thing I do starts the day befor my round. Living in the desert makes dehydration a big deal. I always start hydrating the day before my dcheduled round. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Well, my pre-round has changed throughout my playing years.

First, I walked straight to the first tee.  Then I started warming up with 15-30 balls on the range followed by about 5-10 minutes of chipping and putting.

But now, with Covid-19 situation courses that are open do not have practice facilities open, except for one course.  So now I am forced to back to my early playing days of going straight to the tee box.

If the practice facilities are open, I like to warm up by hitting 15-30 balls on the range and some chipping and putting before heading to the first tee.

• Like 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I used to go to the driving range before every round. Now I get to the first tee and maybe hit a few putts or just go right to the tee and let 'er rip. My first tee shot is sometimes my best of the day. Rarely is it the worst. 

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!