IGNORED

Your Mind Doesn't Understand "No"… Or Does It?

Note: This thread is 1429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Understanding the Word "No"  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Bob Rotella and others say that, to your mind, there is no difference between "don't hit it in the water" and "hit it in the water." Do you agree?

• Yes, I agree: my mind or body hear "hit it in the water" in both cases.
    • No, I disagree: my mind/body differentiates between the two.

Ok, so hit/don't hit... all the brain hears is 'water'.

Maybe the advice is that hyperfocus is counterproductive. I can see that. 

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
5 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

On the whole clicker training thing, the click has to associated with a reward.

After awhile the click becomes the reward.

@Big C, I’m not saying he says don’t look at the hole layout. He just says, IIRC, to not think “don’t want to go left here…”.

And I know he says not to do the “don’t” stuff and that the body doesn’t understand “don’t.”

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I disagree with it. I don't look at a hole layout and think, "don't go in the water" as much a simply make a mental note that there's water somewhere I should avoid, but I can think, "don't hook the ball" and hook the ball. And push it. And stripe it down the middle. It has absolutely nothing to do with the "don't" mental thought.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

16 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I think I 'effed up the quote anyway.

Should have been: "The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and one fairway to hit before I sleep." 

Robert Frost lived near here. Not much of a golfer.😜

When I used to bike race, we taught newbies both road and mountain bike skills. One of the foundations was to “look to where you want to go”. If you have an obstacle in the trail, don’t look at the obstacle, look at the part of the trail you want to go to. It comes as a revelation to the trainees that they gave navigate lots of rock or bunny hop a stick without looking at it. 

So it think the mind and body can know the difference in the OP statement. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

When I used to bike race, we taught newbies both road and mountain bike skills. One of the foundations was to “look to where you want to go”. If you have an obstacle in the trail, don’t look at the obstacle, look at the part of the trail you want to go to. It comes as a revelation to the trainees that they gave navigate lots of rock or bunny hop a stick without looking at it. 

This is also lesson #1 in motorcycle riding.

- Shane

3 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

This is also lesson #1 in motorcycle riding.

Skydiving as well. You look where you want to go... i.e. Don't look at the tree or you may just land in it. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I believe my mind knows the difference. Whether or not I successfully execute my strategy is another story.

When I'm making a golf shot, first thing I do is pick a target, and then try to execute the shot to go at the target. I'm usually not thinking "don't hit it in the water", I am thinking hit it to the target. Of course the target is not in the water, so I guess I'm also trying to not hit it in the water, but where I don't want the ball to go isn't first and foremost in my mind.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

On 6/9/2020 at 10:09 AM, CarlSpackler said:

I'm glad the Dr. Freud didn't write a book on golf. There is OB left, so clearly you want to sleep with your mother. 😋

The Office Lol GIF

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

1 hour ago, bwdial said:

The Office Lol GIF

Lol! I expected this to come from @Double Mocha Man....good job!

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

9 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Lol! I expected this to come from @Double Mocha Man....good job!

Did I steal his thunder?

As for the question, I find that the more I practice, the more confident I get.  The more confident I get, the better I strike the ball.  The better I strike the ball, the better the chance that it goes where I want it to, and the less I think about the hazards.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Do not hit it into the water - ball goes into the water. Do not hit it into the woods - ball goes into the woods. Don't top the ball - tops ball. What about, "What ever you do, do not hit it into the fairway!"

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I was thinking about this last night and had a thought that may contribute or may be complete nonsense. I think the amount it matters may have a strong correlation to the target selecting ability of the golfer in question.

For example, my playing partner in 2-man scrambles used to pull out a "water ball" any time water was in site. Teeing off with water 250 out and a max tee distance of 180? He pulls a water ball. Teeing off over water ten yards in front of the box and extending 30 yards? Water ball. And sure enough, he would find the water. He is terrified of sand. So the vast majority of time sand is involved, even if nowhere near his line of play...sand. And you always hear him saying "don't hit into the water" or "don't hit into the sand" or similar.

So lets throw a hypothetical hole out there. 150 yard par 3. Slightly elevated tee box. Water starts about 20 yards from the tee box and ends 30 yards short of the de green that is protected left and right by bunkers.

If you ask where he is aiming, John will point generally toward the flag and say "over there", mutter "not in the water" and rinse one.

Conversely, I will take an extra club as long is trouble but not lost, short is water or sand, pick my aiming point between the bunkers and swing at a very specific point. Am I always successful? Of course not. `But I know the miss was physical execution because I had a very specific target I was attempting. John, how can he say he missed his target? His target was literally "out there somewhere"

I am idly curious how many people who selected "yes" have specific targets and how many general? I could of course be way off base as what I have seen is anecdotal

On 6/13/2020 at 3:35 PM, DrvFrShow said:

What about, "What ever you do, do not hit it into the fairway!"

I have found reverse psychology does not work in reverse. Go figure. 😄

Vishal S.

1 minute ago, GolfLug said:

I have discovered that all that "positive" psychology stuff is a load of crap.  And my degree is in Psychology.

22 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Is "reverse psychology in reverse" just psychology? :-P

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

My take on Rotella’s mental tactics in general: Flip a coin and be confident/ positive in what side you choose: 

Heads/Heads: See?

Heads/Tails: Just stay positive...it will happen. 

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

21 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

My take on Rotella’s mental tactics in general: Flip a coin and be confident/ positive in what side you choose: 

Heads/Heads: See?

Heads/Tails: Just stay positive...it will happen. 

Mr. Dr. Vinsk... agreed.  Just pick a good target, put a good swing on the ball.  If it goes in the water buy new clubs.

It's all about reality... understanding your frailties, and working to improve on them.  Laughing at your humanness.  Having a glass of wine at sunset, rejoicing in life.

As my young son used to say in a Mr. Dr. Seussian way, "Go Life Go".

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

Someone told me this like 20 years ago but not with the word "mind" but with the word "subconscient".
He told me that in the subconscient part of the brain the world no/not doesn't exist. This part of the brain only understand more basic / straigth forward language. So.. "do not hit it left" is the same as "hit it left" for our subconscient.
Your subconscient is going to try to hit it left while your conscient is going to try to avoid it. Sometimes the subconscient wins over the conscient part and well... bad things happens.  

Edited by p1n9183

Note: This thread is 1429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!