IGNORED

What Is The Longest Club That You Would Want For A 2nd Shot into a Par-Four?

Note: This thread is 1201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Longest Clubs into Par Fours  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What's the Longest Club You'd Want into a Par 4?

• 3W/Hybrid
    • 4I/5I
    • 6I/7I
    • 8I/9I
    • Wedge

I figured we hadn’t touched on this as a community.

Say you’ve hit a good drive to your average ability in the fairway. We know that golf is not a game of perfect. But simply put with all of the trouble a course designer throws at us, what is the longest club you’d want to have into a par-4, that gives you a chance at a GIR or nGIR?

Since I’m starting the thread, I’ll start. The longest club that would give me the best chance for GIR or nGIR, is for me probably 4-iron, I seldom have a lot of 4-irons into par-fours but I feel comfortable with that.

• Like 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The easy answer is sand wedge, but anything over 6i is a big ask. I tend to get streaky and hit some really good 5W’s, but about 180yds out (6i) is pressing the limit of my 50/50 chance of hitting a nGIR/GIR...anything longer than that which qualifies as one is bonus.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

4iron or my 2iron. I don’t typically have my 3iron in the bag. I don’t know, I guess I don’t look at the par for this as much as out to what distance/club do I feel reasonably comfortable hitting to the green from. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Since your question asks which is the longest club I'd WANT into a par 4, I'd say a putter. 

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

5-iron.

90% of the time it’s the longest iron in my bag. I rarely have more than 8-iron into a green on a par-4, maybe 7-iron if I’m laying back off the tee for some reason. The course I play most of the time doesn’t require more than hybrid off the tee except for a couple longer holes. It’s a short, tight course, with lots of extreme lies (uphill, downhill, and side hill) and forests/creeks/“native areas” to lose balls in (in LSW terms, a lot of black)

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I would say 4 iron at this point in my golf career which would put that hole at 450. I think given a good drive of 250, I am making par half the time with 4 iron. Most par 4s for me its a 6 iron or less with the longest being 425 yards. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5* | Rad Tour 18.5* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Yeah, "want" versus "not a total disaster". 

I want the putter (if not to hole-out on the drive). Anything more than a 5I (roughly 170 yards for me), is just a crap shoot. Odds of actually hitting the green go up with each shorter club until SW. My full-swing PW from 95-105 is probably the best odds. I'll skull and fat my SW a bit too often inside of that.

The 3I and 4I are to be avoided and that makes 180-190 a sort of no man's land for me. I make better contact with the 5W, but never have done well with taking partial swings to try to hit that distance. I was meaning to give some old hybrids another try and never got around to it.

Ironically I would rather hit one of the hybrids (3 or 4) into a green than my 5 or even my 6 iron. I haven't really kept track of it but I would be willing to bet I hit more greens with the hybrids than the five or six irons. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

For a good chance at GIR, 6 iron. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hybrid.  

I’ve said it before, but it’s worth repeating.  This is what I consider the best way to determine which tees are appropriate when looking at a new course.  Much better than simply looking at overall yardage.  If the tees I’m playing are likely to require more than that on 2 or more holes, I’m probably playing the wrong tees.  For me, that means more than 2 holes over about 415 yards.

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

For the best chance at a GIR, I would have to say a 6i, maybe a 5i.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Besides the smarty pants answer of a putter or wedge...I looked at game golf (even though I haven't used it much in recent months). I hit almost 40% of my green inside 150 yards so I would say I need an 8 Iron, or maybe a 7 to feel pretty confident about my GIR chances. 

I think of this question in terms of which tee box to play from.  If I was using my 3 hybrid more than say 2 or 3 times to a par 4 after a decent drive, I'd play from a more forward tee box.

Ideally, if I was a course architect, I'd want you to use a long iron (3 or 4 iron) a couple times for par fours, and have one or two par five holes that you can reach in two with a really good drive and a 3 wood, and the other par five holes are not reachable in two.

I would agree with most and say my longest iron, which is a 4-iron. 

I've played some courses where I had to hit hybrid into par 4's, and that makes for a long day.

To decided which tees to play, I look at the total yardage compared to the par 3 yardages. I played a 6900 yd course that was miserable because I was hitting 3H into par 4's and 9i into par 3's. I really enjoyed a 7400 yard course where I was hitting 3H into the par 3's and never hit longer than 4i into a par 4. Also, on the latter, the par 5's were usually reachable in 2, which if fine by me.

On 11/30/2020 at 9:01 PM, onthehunt526 said:

The longest club that would give me the best chance for GIR or nGIR, is for me probably 4-iron, I seldom have a lot of 4-irons into par-fours but I feel comfortable with that.

I feel like this should have had a poll. 

To get a nGIR and GIR, probably a 5 iron. I don't like my 4-iron. Its been a trouble club for me. I am cool with my 5-iron, and then my 2-hybrid. 5-iron. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4i sounds about right for me. I don’t run into too many long holes like this, but by coincidence I played one yesterday. Hit a decent drive and had 4i in, made nGIR and ended up with bogey.

I drive the ball poorly, though, so there are plenty of opportunities for me to hit 4i into greens even on short par 3s.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 wood, which has replaced my 3 iron.  But if I'm hitting a 7 wood into a par 4 I must have completely blown the drive, or it a par 4 that's over 465 yards, and I don't play those tees.

Note: This thread is 1201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!