IGNORED

When Will Tiger Return?

Considering the extent of Tiger's injuries from his recent car accident, especially the compound fractures in his legs, I'm interested if anyone who's familiar with these kinds of injuries has a good guess on when will Tiger return if ever? Is full recovery totally out of the question? If it isn't, can we expect to see Tiger return as early as next year? 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Return to a semi-normal life? Sure, maybe by the end of the year. Return to play golf? Sure, by next year. Return to play PGA Tour level golf? Nah. But I don't know anything, and so

Medically, I have no clue what is possible for him, but I really hope Tiger retires. He's got nothing left to prove in golf, he's got more money than he'll ever spend, and hopefully he makes a full, o

• Administrator
  • Return to a semi-normal life? Sure, maybe by the end of the year.
  • Return to play golf? Sure, by next year.
  • Return to play PGA Tour level golf? Nah.

But I don't know anything, and so much could change all of that. I hope I'm not wrong about the first thing, or even really the second thing, so he can at least get around with Charlie at home, for fun.

• Like 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Listening to NPR on my way home from the gym, yesterday, they were interviewing a doctor familiar with the kinds of injuries Tiger is reported to have suffered, and what was done to address them.

In his opinion the road to recovery would be a long one and, given Tiger's age and previously-existing issues, he would not be playing pro-level golf again.

Medically, I have no clue what is possible for him, but I really hope Tiger retires. He's got nothing left to prove in golf, he's got more money than he'll ever spend, and hopefully he makes a full, or nearly full recovery from the latest injuries so he can just enjoy the rest of his life; spend time with his friends/family, captain some Ryder Cup teams, design golf courses, scuba dive, whatever.

Selfishly, I'd love to see him continue to compete, especially in the Masters and British Open. But with his back issues, the golf season really seemed like a grind for him, even with limited appearances, and throw in serious leg injuries to recover from, I hope he doesn't come back. He's a competitive person, so who knows.

• Like 1

I really hate to wager a guess, but I'm kinda with @iacas on this one.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

But I don't know anything, and so much could change all of that. I hope I'm not wrong about the first thing, or even really the second thing, so he can at least get around with Charlie at home, for fun.

That might be a first. 😝

33 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

He might make a few starts, but I don't think he will be able to put in the grind again to compete. 

I was hoping to see him kill it on the senior tour and maybe pull off another major or 2 until this happened. So much in doubt.

I agree with @Darkfrog I hope he retires and enjoys his life.

He has absolutely nothing left to prove in golf. I was a die-hard Jack type on the famous/infamous Jack v Tiger thread for a while, and I have to admit he's the undisputed GOAT. He had his Jack in '86 moment at the 2019 Masters but, truth be told, given all he'd gone through, it was a far greater achievement than Jack in 1986. He's the GOAT. If he got off his hospital bed Lazarus-style and won another green jacket in April it wouldn't prove anything we don't already know.

Good luck to him; it's been a wonder watching him since 1997. It would be nice to see him hitting the open tee-shot at Augusta in years to come, and that's about it.

I think he’s done with professional golf. Maybe with the exception of a major or special tournament here and there. One thing is getting back to being able to hit golf balls, but that doesn’t make him ready to play golf tournaments. He plays golf to win, and he’s so far from that point now and with his age, back issues and now legs I just don’t see him ever getting to the level required to content for tournaments, let alone majors.

With the high level of treatment he will be getting, he will be back.
Cold climates usually affect injuries of his nature for a long time.
He will hobble around for quite some time and feel discomfort.
Muscle damage will will also take a considerable time to rehabilitate. 

The Senior Tour may be in his sights when he turns 50 or there after.
I don't see him walking away from the Tour, it's a big part of his life.

Given what is in the press regarding his injuries, I seriously doubt he will ever compete in the PGA again.

But then again, Hogan did after his accident.

I'm was surprised he was back after the several back surgeries and did as well as he did and thus will not rule out a comeback but I think it is a long-shot at best.  It is very true that he has nothing to prove to the world, his place in history is not going to change whether he comes back or not.  The issue for him is that he is a competitor at heart and being forced out of competition before he is mentally ready may be difficult to accept.    

My guess would be:

In a wheelchair for 8 months.

Walking with crutches in 12 months.

Noticeable limp for years to come.

Never playing in a professional event again.

These would be career ending injuries for someone in their 20s.

He might hobble up and hit the opening shot at Augusta in a few years time.

Very sad.

Edited by Shorty

It is extremely unlikely he could ever play at the pro level.  But these injuries seem similar, at least on the surface, to what Alex Smith went through, so I won't say impossible, just almost impossible.

3 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Why?

I kind of alluded to it, but he's the GOAT, he's rich, he has two kids to spend time with. In my opinion, he has nothing left to prove as a player, and I don't think the rigors of professional golf are great for the long term health of his back, current leg issues aside. At this point, I just wish him a happy and healthy life.

I also wouldn't be disappointed if his competitive nature drives him to rehab, make a full recovery, and continue to play professionally at a high level.

10 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Why?

Tiger, you've done enough! Thank you for all the wonderful memories. You did it your way.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Shorty said:

My guess would be:

In a wheelchair for 8 months.

Walking with crutches in 12 months.

I’ll take the under for $1000 on both of those.

Hell, cut those numbers in 1/4 and give me 4 to 1 odds and I’ll take those as well.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Pretty much an entire thread of speculation here. Frankly this post pretty much sums it for all of us I’d say.