IGNORED

2024 TST Outing - June 1/2 @ EagleSticks and Virtues

StuM

• Thumbs Up 2

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
  • Thumbs Up 2

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, StuM said:

users

Singular, not plural. 😉 

• Funny 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Going to be working towards a little more definitive plan with hopes of something very firm in early March so we all have time to work into our schedules.

Right now I am looking at Saturday June 1st.

Location has not been finalized but I am thinking maybe somewhere in a triangle from Columbus, OH to Canton, OH to Pittsburgh, PA.  That is a fairly large area and I think works well for many who have expressed interest.  Any ideas on courses are appreciated.

If you are interested please add your name to the list below.  I'm also going to tag a few others that my be interested.

1. @iacas
  2. @StuM
  3. @DaveP043
  4. @ChetlovesMer
  5. @jsgolfer
  6. @billchao
  7. @GolfLug
  8. @boogielicious
  9. @bkuehn1952
  10. @Carl3
  11. @klineka
  12. @saevel25
  13. @snapfade
  14. @CarlSpackler
  15. @paperclip
  16. @woodzie264
  17. @vasaribm
  18. @cedrictheo
  19. @Chris Brooks
  20. @David L Yskes

Additional tags:

@Hardspoon @BradSomrak @rwolfe @brockman21 @Greenshirt100 @Old1964

Stuart M.

Thanks for the work you're doing!  I'll save that date, and wait for more info.  Chances are that I'll be bringing my (much) better half.  I know its enough of a hassle to plan one round, but we'll be interested in playing another round or two while we're on the road.  Once you decide a location, we can start looking at those additional rounds.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Just now, DaveP043 said:

Thanks for the work you're doing!  I'll save that date, and wait for more info.  Chances are that I'll be bringing my (much) better half.  I know its enough of a hassle to plan one round, but we'll be interested in playing another round or two while we're on the road.  Once you decide a location, we can start looking at those additional rounds.

I've not checked with my better half yet but was thinking of bringing her as well.  Maybe even extend a couple of days and make it a mini-trip with her, same as you are thinking.

Those that spend the night could do a Sunday round as well.  That is what the Michigan contingent did last year after Little Mountain.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

• Administrator

I thought we talked about possibly Virtues and EagleSticks? Is that still a leading candidate? Easy Saturday/Sunday rounds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I thought we talked about possibly Virtues and EagleSticks? Is that still a leading candidate? Easy Saturday/Sunday rounds.

Yes, those are at the top of the list.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

For reference, Eaglesticks is about 35-minutes away from The Virtues. 

image.png

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

27 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

For reference, Eaglesticks is about 35-minutes away from The Virtues. 

Is it reasonable to expect to find a decent hotel and a few places to eat in Zanesville?

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Is it reasonable to expect to find a decent hotel and a few places to eat in Zanesville?

Hotel's yes. Food, not sure

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Yes, Zanesville is kinda out in the middle of nowhere but it's a large enough city there are plenty of choices for both food and hotels.

There's a Holiday Inn and Suites, Hampton Inn, Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, etc. 

For restaurants there's a lot of chains, Buffalo Wild Wings, Roosters (similar to bdubs but much better wings IMO), Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden, a Japanese Steakhouse, Mexican places, a wood fired pizza place called Russo's (looks really good but I haven't had it before), etc. Plus all of the normal fast food places too. 

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

40 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Hotel's yes. Food, not sure

6 minutes ago, klineka said:

Yes, Zanesville is kinda out in the middle of nowhere but it's a large enough city there are plenty of choices for both food and hotels.

For restaurants there's a lot of chains, Buffalo Wild Wings, Roosters (similar to bdubs but much better wings IMO), Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden, a Japanese Steakhouse, Mexican places, a wood fired pizza place called Russo's (looks really good but I haven't had it before), etc. Plus all of the normal fast food places too. 

Thanks, guys, I did take a look and it seems like my wife and I will be fine there.  I see a couple of restaurants right on the west bank of the river, including a brewpub. Now we just have to wait for the final arrangements to be made.  Again, thanks to @StuM for doing the hard work!

Dave

I was a little disappointed in Eaglesticks the 2 times I have played it.  While it is generally a much better course than those I usually play, the bunkers were in terrible shape the first time in 2021.  I attributed that to heavy rain at the time, but it was not any better when we went back in 2022.  The rest of the course was fine. A grounds crew guy stole my son's ball that wasn't even that far into the rough and was very findable, but he was over 250 yards away from us and it wasn't worth chasing him down. We only paid $25 with cart via Group Golfer (went up to 27 or 28 in 2023), which more than made up for the suboptimum condition. The 2 hour drive was worse than the bunker conditions though. 

War Eagle!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, klineka said:

Dave does like his wood fired pizzas… 😉 

• Like 1

Do I need a special visa to go to Ohio or any shots?  What side of the road to they drive on up there?

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

10 minutes ago, snapfade said:

Do I need a special visa to go to Ohio or any shots?  What side of the road to they drive on up there?

In the order asked: 

1. The procedure is to send $75 cash to a particular PO Box in Troy, OH (don't have it off hand) with a stamped, self-addressed envelope. We'll send you back an Ohio Pass good for one month from the date of issuance.

2. No particular shots are required. Just be mindful of what water sources you drink from. Some are better than others.

3. We make use of the entire road. It's the "I was here first" theory of driving.

Hope you have a nice visit.

• Funny 4

4 hours ago, The Flush said:

I was a little disappointed in Eaglesticks the 2 times I have played it.  While it is generally a much better course than those I usually play, the bunkers were in terrible shape the first time in 2021.  I attributed that to heavy rain at the time, but it was not any better when we went back in 2022.  The rest of the course was fine. A grounds crew guy stole my son's ball that wasn't even that far into the rough and was very findable, but he was over 250 yards away from us and it wasn't worth chasing him down. We only paid $25 with cart via Group Golfer (went up to 27 or 28 in 2023), which more than made up for the suboptimum condition. The 2 hour drive was worse than the bunker conditions though. 

Meh. Very expensive to maintain decent bunkers from what I hear. I could be in the minority here but for $25, I would be more than fine with light or no sand bunkers as rest of the course okay as you mentioned. 

Spoiler

Totally off topic, but on principle, bunkers should be shitty. Not saying they should be total hard pan but golfers should be terrified of bunkers. They should play as penalty areas. Take an unplayable or swing at your own risk.  

Vishal S.