Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

Dress Codes  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

1,256 posts / 98547 viewsLast Reply

1 minute ago, rehmwa said:

About 35-40 years ago, the first course my family played and learned on was local 9 in the adjacent town (nowhere Iowa).  I had a junior yearly membership on it (I think it was $25/year - the next year I got one at $30/yr at the one in our town).  I recall posting a pic of the online dress code here on the Sandtrap years ago - the verbage is not on the city site any more....

They had a dress code - they explicitly noted on the website that players are expected to put their shirts on when they enter the clubhouse.....

But it was a dress code......🤔

Every course in the world has a dress code.  It’s just a matter of where they draw the line...  ;-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

4 minutes ago, amished said:

Had I known that was the type of dress code we were debating, I'd be on the other side of this particular topic!

I'm posting in a wry fashion, but there is a point.  This means many different things to many different people.  So the side discussion trying to justify codes, to me, seems absolutely pointless and just people trying to win the internet.  Whether it's good for the game or not?  Meh - it's arbitrary - and there's nothing wrong with that - buying products and services is a market thing, not a moral thing....

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Every course in the world has a dress code.  It’s just a matter of where they draw the line...  ;-)

and how idiotically seriously they choose to take themselves on the issue....  🤨

Edited by rehmwa

3 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

I'm posting in a wry fashion, but there is a point.  This means many different things to many different people.  So the side discussion trying to justify codes, to me, seems absolutely pointless and just people trying to win the internet.  Whether it's good for the game or not?  Meh - it's arbitrary - and there's nothing wrong with that - buying products and services is a market thing, not a moral thing....

and how idiotically seriously they choose to take themselves on the issue....  🤨

Whatever the standard is, I’d consider it idiotic not to enforce it.  Kind of like raising kids...

21 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Can you truly say there is a dress code if there is nothing written?

Sure, my home courses might well throw me out if I show up in nothing but a g-string. But in eight years of playing those courses, I've never once seen anything in writing.

I would posit this, is the game better off catering to those who spend more time/money on the game or those who play a couple times a year? 

I would find it surprising if any person who have become long term participants would have any issue with the minimal dress codes most courses have. The issue is this, either side is only going to be able to provide anecdotal evidence which will do nothing to convince the other. Honestly though, I still say the dress codes are neither good nor bad for the game. They are really a non-issue, at least here, because there so many courses that only require shirt/shoes/pants* and your own clubs. 

Edited by Jeremie Boop

I don't usually pay attention to dress codes, only because I usually where nice shorts or pants and a collared shirt, even if i'm just going to the range.  I'm playing in a scramble tomorrow at a private course, in which they do list a dress code, which is expected and have no issues abiding by, no matter how much I hate tucking in my shirt, can't stand wearing a belt when I golf, don't know why, but just do.  Heck they even have a dress code for what you can wear into the clubhouse.

18 hours ago, Patch said:

Gals dressed skimply, or less.

Woah woah woah, let's cut it out with this crazy talk.

1 hour ago, amished said:

First of all, I don't understand what a wedding and a round of golf have anything to do with each other. 

Both have a traditional way of dressing to show respect to the proceedings. The only difference would be golf clothing is comfortable and actually aids in the activity of playing golf whereas a suit and tie is not comfortable and actually hinders the enjoyment of doing anything.

Again not sure why people get upset about dress codes and wearing appropriate attire to the course. It's not like courses are asking you to wear something weird and uncomfortable.

Remember: Dress like the golfer you want to be not like the golfer you are 😏. If you suck at least look good doing it.

This actually happened this morning. 

After my practice session, I went into the club house for a visit, and a soda. There is a sign that lists collared shirts as a requirement for play and/or practice. 

On a clothes rack for men, selling for $49.99 were men's golf shirts......with no collars. 

I talked to the counter guy about it. We had a good laugh about the issue. He went on to say the posted dress code rules, were rules of convience, and were applied at the discretion of the course management. 

4 hours ago, amished said:

First of all, I don't understand what a wedding and a round of golf have anything to do with each other. 

And I feel that’s been made pretty clear.

And @NM Golf touched on it a bit.

As for whether it’s literally “good” I say yes, minimally. For reasons stated many times.

12 hours ago, JGus said:

I don't usually pay attention to dress codes, only because I usually where nice shorts or pants and a collared shirt, even if i'm just going to the range.  I'm playing in a scramble tomorrow at a private course, in which they do list a dress code, which is expected and have no issues abiding by, no matter how much I hate tucking in my shirt, can't stand wearing a belt when I golf, don't know why, but just do.  Heck they even have a dress code for what you can wear into the clubhouse.

I'm surprised to see you don't like to tuck in your shirt, and wear a belt. Considering your retired from the Army, I would have figured you guys that served would be up for keeping it tight.

11 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

I'm surprised to see you don't like to tuck in your shirt, and wear a belt. Considering your retired from the Army, I would have figured you guys that served would be up for keeping it tight.

I can't explain why, I wear normal business attire everyday with a belt and have no problem, but a shirt being tucked in and wearing a belt when golfing just annoys me for some reason.

2 minutes ago, JGus said:

I can't explain why, I wear normal business attire everyday with a belt and have no problem, but a shirt being tucked in and wearing a belt when golfing just annoys me for some reason.

I can understand it. It's probably similar to why I can't stand wearing a long sleeved shirt doing any physical activity. It just feels.... uncomfortable/restrictive. Strangely I never feel that way with a belt and tucked in shirt.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:24 AM, Patch said:

This actually happened this morning. 

After my practice session, I went into the club house for a visit, and a soda. There is a sign that lists collared shirts as a requirement for play and/or practice. 

On a clothes rack for men, selling for $49.99 were men's golf shirts......with no collars. 

I talked to the counter guy about it. We had a good laugh about the issue. He went on to say the posted dress code rules, were rules of convience, and were applied at the discretion of the course management. 

What that says to me is, if you're wearing a 50 buck uncollared shirt from their pro shop, you are good to go!