IGNORED

Why Don't Pros Use Iron Covers?

juanrjackson

44 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Saw this today, thought of this old thread about iron covers. Seems this gentleman, Aaron Rai, wears two gloves and has iron covers. He is a ball retriever away from the hacker trifecta. He's pretty good though!

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/aaron-rai-witb-2018/

Saw that, he just won and they mentioned the iron covers.  It was funny.

I understand wood and hybrid covers - they have a lot of surface that has a cosmetic finish that I just don't know will chip or not.....But I always thought covers were there for the long neck/sleeve to protect the graphite shaft from being damaged by the adjacent iron heads - NOT for head protection.  (So I don't see any real reason to use the newer shortish driver covers really.  I'll buy a nice knit cover only with a long neck and toss the stock cover).

Don't understand iron covers, but don't care what others do - that's just arrogant and kind of sad.  I see all sorts of rituals and quirks by golfers, so whatever gets you in the right frame of mind......If I see someone tease a player with a cover, you bet I'll find something to tease them about - like the idiocy of the ball alignment mark, or marking their tee to a certain height, or obsession where people stand, or their neat watch or matching belt and newsboy cap, or their custom golf cart.....

2018-01-16 10_04_20-judge smails - Google Search.jpg

I'm not quite sure about putter covers......maybe some of the face inserts might need protection....OK.

------- So covers for the graphite shafted woods and hybrids, and then the putters.  Not the irons.  (for all these, YMMV, I don't care one way or the other)

yes to ball retrievers, but that's because I'm compulsive about it.  but neither me nor any of my friends ever have to spend a dollar on a new ball - and it keeps me off of the streets and out of gangs

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Pros get their clubs for free

Not as many as there use to be...A lot of the pros sport their own clubs now.   But saying that, they make enough money that the cost isn't something they consider.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• iacas changed the title to Why Don't Pros Use Iron Covers?

I don't think the cost of the clubs has anything to do with it. Free, discounted, full retail, it doesn't matter how much you paid for your irons, iron covers are just dorky. Traditionally, only hacks use them, they are the golf equivalent of a pocket protector. They go hand in hand with ball retrievers and chippers.

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

9 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I don't think the cost of the clubs has anything to do with it. Free, discounted, full retail, it doesn't matter how much you paid for your irons, iron covers are just dorky. Traditionally, only hacks use them, they are the golf equivalent of a pocket protector. They go hand in hand with ball retrievers and chippers.

I have been a working engineer since 1982. I have never worn a pocket protector! :-P I had a friend who did and he also wore a clip on tie!

I think bag chatter on your clubs is a badge of honor.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I use them proudly and love them.  I was so sick of hearing my clubs smash back and forth during rounds where I'm using a cart.  And the metal is so soft it protects them from unnecessary dings.  I'm trying to preserve them as long as i can..That said, my priorities are in order,  I won't hesitate to use them how they were intended to be used hah.     

I used to use them. Got fed up of having to take them off, put them back on, forget to put it back on but not realise till i got to the green then have to run back to where i'd dropped it looking like a total muppet.

Plus i find the gentle claicking of the irons therapeutic these days.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

3 hours ago, mz975d said:

I use them proudly and love them.  I was so sick of hearing my clubs smash back and forth during rounds where I'm using a cart.  And the metal is so soft it protects them from unnecessary dings.  I'm trying to preserve them as long as i can..That said, my priorities are in order,  I won't hesitate to use them how they were intended to be used hah.     

Is cleaning the clubs before putting on the covers kind of a pain?

On 12/9/2018 at 6:22 PM, NM Golf said:

So, the “nerdy” golf look? 😂

On 12/10/2018 at 3:42 AM, boogielicious said:

I have been a working engineer since 1982. I have never worn a pocket protector! :-P I had a friend who did and he also wore a clip on tie!

I think bag chatter on your clubs is a badge of honor.

I’ve never had to wear a tie as an engineer before either, but was told clip on ties were used by machinists for safety “back in the day”

Guessing we missed out on the era of the pocket protector? 🤪

2 hours ago, RussUK said:

I used to use them. Got fed up of having to take them off, put them back on, forget to put it back on but not realise till i got to the green then have to run back to where i'd dropped it looking like a total muppet.

Plus i find the gentle claicking of the irons therapeutic these days.

Yes, agree. I can sometimes even tell when a club is missing by the “group clack”. 😁

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Speaking of clacking:  Remember when golf shoes had spikes? The greatest sound in the world for me was people walking on cart paths with their spike golf shoes. That sound was just heavenly to me.  I really miss those golf shoes and the sound they made.  My second favorite sound is the clacking and jangling of clubs in a golf bag, especially when you're carrying your bag and walking down the fairway.  Yes, I'm weird, I know.  

9 hours ago, mz975d said:

I use them proudly and love them.  I was so sick of hearing my clubs smash back and forth during rounds where I'm using a cart.      

You can actually hear your clubs hitting each other while riding in a cart? Must be so quiet and serene where you play. I can barely get my group to shut up long enough to hit my shot! 

And the metal is so soft it protects them from unnecessary dings.  I'm trying to preserve them as long as i can..

What clubs do you use that are that soft? I have used the same set of forged blades for 4 seasons and while they show definite signs of use, they look and play just fine. Heck I see a little bag chatter as a badge of honor.

That said, my priorities are in order,  I won't hesitate to use them how they were intended to be used hah.     

Not sure how priorities fit into this, but if you want to use those iron covers, you use them. Just watch your bag for the appearance of ball retrievers and chippers. I hear they like to run in packs. 😜

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

If I'm riding in a cart, I leave the covers on. If I'm walking (push cart), I take them off. This has resulted in only a few marks here and there. And the covers always go back on when transporting, storing at home, or practicing. Covers also force me to clean and dry my irons thoroughly after each round as I'm paranoid about trapping any moisture. 

My irons are only a few months old and are my first forged set. I've found that they get dinged pretty easily so I'm glad I bought the covers. I plan to keep these irons for several years and want them to age slowly.

When I had cast irons, I did not use covers...

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

7 hours ago, Herkimer said:

Speaking of clacking:  Remember when golf shoes had spikes? The greatest sound in the world for me was people walking on cart paths with their spike golf shoes. That sound was just heavenly to me.  I really miss those golf shoes and the sound they made.  My second favorite sound is the clacking and jangling of clubs in a golf bag, especially when you're carrying your bag and walking down the fairway.  Yes, I'm weird, I know.  

Well, count me as weird also.

I too like the sound of metal spikes on the cart path and clacking sound of golf clubs when walking down the fairway.

As for the pros not using them, I would think most have sponsors that provide clubs for free.

• Like 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

15 hours ago, Lihu said:

Is cleaning the clubs before putting on the covers kind of a pain?

I don't have them on when I walk, which is probably 75-80% of the time.   Brushing my clubs after each shot is habitual anyways so no its not a pain

9 hours ago, NM Golf said:

You can actually hear your clubs hitting each other while riding in a cart? Must be so quiet and serene where you play. I can barely get my group to shut up long enough to hit my shot! 

What clubs do you use that are that soft? I have used the same set of forged blades for 4 seasons and while they show definite signs of use, they look and play just fine. Heck I see a little bag chatter as a badge of honor.

Yes of course i can hear them they are right behind me.  The suspension (or lack thereof) in the carts coupled with ruts in some fairways, and also cart path dips and drains cause some serious thrashing of clubs...  I simply want to avoid unnecessary dings in the clubs since i worked very hard on building this set with my buddy.  Big thanks to Club Glove they work great!   And I am using the 718 MBs. Normal usage is totally fine.  Its that cart thrashing I hate. 

• Like 1

I have read a few articles on iron head covers. 

One stated that an iron is designed to hit the ground under, and/or in front of the ball. That being the case, why protect a club head when it's not in use. 

Another is that iron covers are for newbies to the game of golf. Newbies tend to buy anything associated with the game of golf. The "kewl beans" scenario. PGA Pros are not "newbies". 

Next is the old stand by, of preventing the constant "clanking" noise when transporting the bag full of irons. 

Another is that iron covers are just another thing to keep track off. A waste of time. That sometimes the wrong number cover could wind up on the wrong club, which could cost the golfer strokes. .

One article went as far as saying that in the begining,  wood covers were used to protect the shaft more so than the actual club head/face.

I suppose one could take their pick of any of the above. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I think it's one of those deep, philosophical, questions that can only be answered by ignoring it entirely.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

The guy who uses iron head covers is also the same guy who has a coronary when his car door is lightly dinged.

To be fair I suppose those little covers help to improve the resale value of the irons.  Otherwise I see no reason to use them.