IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

April 17, with a high about 35, on and off lake effect flurries, riding a wind howling out of the NW. What a great day! A great day to have my truck in the shop getting a brake job.

Anybody hear about the "Solar Grand Minimum" that's on the way? A paper has just been published. You can Google it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You don't have it too bad...Check this out.  

An April storm caused a 10-foot high, 20-foot long snow drift to form at the Marinette-Menominee YMCA in the Western U.P., (Courtesy Photo | Marinette-Menominee YMCA).   

part of the article:::Using only handheld shovels, because a snow-blower couldn't get into the tricky corner of the complex and even when it did it was useless against the dense snow, the rugged Yoopers cleared a tunnel-like path to the door in just under four hours.

snow.jpg

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

An April storm caused a 10-foot high, 20-foot long snow drift to form at the Marinette-Menominee YMCA in the Western U.P., (Courtesy Photo | Marinette-Menominee YMCA).   

part of the article:::Using only handheld shovels, because a snow-blower couldn't get into the tricky corner of the complex and even when it did it was useless against the dense snow, the rugged Yoopers cleared a tunnel-like path to the door in just under four hours.

snow.jpg

Yoopers? Wth? Pass on shoveling that s#!@. I would have just peed the words "closed until the 4th of July " and left town.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

snow.jpg

That ain't nuthin'!  This is the driveway up to my local course that they were clearing yesterday.  :)

P5120070.jpg

4 hours ago, dennyjones said:

snow.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/04/photo_of_10-foot_snow_drift_at.html

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/04/16/upper-peninsula-snow-menominee-snowfall/521828002/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I think Saskatoon will be fine soon. We are projected double digits from today with nothing below -1 Cel at night. Hopefully a hitting mat driving range opens up in the next days.

The driving range at my home course was open for a group lesson today.  It was pretty cool, but once we warmed up and started swinging it was much better.  Our men's league is supposed to start on the 7th of May, but there's no way that's going to happen.

I didn't realize how much I missed golf until I started swinging again.

Temps are supposed to be positive for the rest of the week, with rain in the forecast early next. 

Corey

More snow forecast for Friday/Saturday.  My tee time at 7:20 AM on Saturday is not looking good.

UGH.  I've had enough of these weekend golf voiding snow.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Had to brush snow off my car this morning.  It's supposed to be in the 50s this weekend... we'll see.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

We are into good weather in mid-Michigan but we set an all time record for snow fall this year.   Spring, summer and fall better make up for the lousy winter weather or Mother Nature is going to have hell to pay...

I can talk big now, we have good weather.

I have little sympathy. I've posted in this thread deep into May before. It snowed on like May 18th last year here!

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

I have little sympathy. I've posted in this thread deep into May before. It snowed on like May 18th last year here!

Ya but If you remember  you only had a couple days of bad weather around that time.   There were several days in the 70s and 80 before that.   I bet you played several rounds in April last year.   There were about 17 or 18 good golf days..

Here in mid-Michigan, the land without sunshine, this year, we've had 10 snowy days this April.   I'll trade you weather any day...

Got to pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues...:whistle:   (all in jest)

Yeah! Denver gets something like 330 sunny days out of 365 per year! I feel so sorry for you.

Met my buddies at a local course yesterday morning. When I was loading my clubs in the truck I thought, "We have to be out of our freaking minds!" When I got to the course I went into the clubhouse where my buddies were seated at a table. They told me that they were considering whether or not to go out.

It was 37*, cloudy, with the wind howling out of the North. There was another group inside who had gone out very early. They said it was all they could do to survive the front nine! Eventually we bagged it and went home. I figure we have the entire Summer before us, when it's warm and dry and golf will be a joy instead of a trial!

I swear we better have a Mf'n Indian summer! 

• Like 1

A day I thought would never come.... my home course is opening. Albeit with punched greens but it's open. It's also going to be a beautiful day which I will be working all of. 

1 hour ago, Valleygolfer said:

It's also going to be a beautiful day which I will be working all of

Same here, but I hurt my shoulder last week so I haven't been swinging a club anyway.

This is the slowest start to my golf season that I can remember.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread