Jump to content
IGNORED

What Happens First: Rory Completes Slam or Tiger Wins 15th Major?


atb5079
 Share

Note: This thread is 963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

0  

11 members have voted

  1. 1. Which Happens First?

    • Rory wins the Masters to complete the career grand slam
      47
    • Tiger Woods wins his 15th major championship
      36

This poll is closed to new votes


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, sheepdog said:

Not true, Julius Boros won the 68 PGA at 48.

 

Tiger will never win a major again. I don't think his mind will let him, to many doubts and crazy things going on in his life.
.

 

 

Yep, something was nagging when I said they were the oldest. I think they are the oldest of the Masters and US Open.

I think chances are slim, but they said the same thing about Jack before he won in 86. There is something inside that can be awakened if they are back in the moment at the right time. Jack had not been playing particularly well and had many other interests and distractions at the time. He beat some of the best young guns of the era, Kite, Norman, and Seve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No third option for "Hell freezes over" :-P

More likely to be Rory if only that time is on his side. Wouldnt be the first time i've got a golf prediction wrong!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I put the chances of either at equal actually...

If I'm going to pick Tiger is going to win a major again, its going to be the Masters. I don't think he has the game to win the US Open or PGA again. At least not right now. But i think Tiger will be a contender at Augusta well into his 50's - he gets around that place too well.  

Rory has the ball striking game to beat Augusta into submission, but i just worry about his putting and short game consistency at that course. So I think tigers declining game and Rory's unpredictability kind of even out the chances of either or winning first. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, Groucho Valentine said:

I put the chances of either at equal actually...

If I'm going to pick Tiger is going to win a major again, its going to be the Masters. I don't think he has the game to win the US Open or PGA again. At least not right now. But i think Tiger will be a contender at Augusta well into his 50's - he gets around that place too well.  

Rory has the ball striking game to beat Augusta into submission, but i just worry about his putting and short game consistency at that course. So I think tigers declining game and Rory's unpredictability kind of even out the chances of either or winning first. 

It would be pretty fitting if he were to win at the Masters. That place just has a knack of bringing the best out of players you thought were no longer capable of winnning a major. I suppose its also a help that its the only single venue major at present.

I reckon he could have a chance on some of the courses on the Open rotation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, RussUK said:

It would be pretty fitting if he were to win at the Masters. That place just has a knack of bringing the best out of players you thought were no longer capable of winnning a major. I suppose its also a help that its the only single venue major at present.

I reckon he could have a chance on some of the courses on the Open rotation.

It would be fitting. Especially since tiger has discovered his putting and short game again. His hero moments at Augusta have come with the putter or wedge in his hands. I agree with you about the Open Championship. He'll have some shots there. But my feeling is if he is going to win another major, its probably going to be at Augusta. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 1 year later...

Now I guess we can start asking if Rory will ever win at Augusta. It is hard to imagine with another 15+ attempts that he won't be able to get it done. But he also has a lot of mental baggage at the place (2011 & 2018). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'm not predicting it or anything, but would anyone really be shocked if Tiger chalked up a 'second career' career grand slam before any of the young guns complete whatever they have left?

And by 'second career' career grand slam I mean where the three remaining pieces are after this Masters.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Manhattan said:

Now I guess we can start asking if Rory will ever win at Augusta. It is hard to imagine with another 15+ attempts that he won't be able to get it done. But he also has a lot of mental baggage at the place (2011 & 2018). 

Phil - US Open

Arnie - PGA

Snead - US Open


If a career grand slam were easy, everyone would have one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, turtleback said:

I'm not predicting it or anything, but would anyone really be shocked if Tiger chalked up a 'second career' career grand slam before any of the young guns complete whatever they have left?

And by 'second career' career grand slam I mean where the three remaining pieces are after this Masters.

Phil - US Open

Arnie - PGA

Snead - US Open


If a career grand slam were easy, everyone would have one.

Don't forget Tom Watson could just never win a PGA, Ray Floyd couldn't figure out the Open Championship, Trevino never won a Masters.

I'm going to go out on a limb here... I think Tiger might get his 16th major before Rory completes the career slam. Especially now that Tiger knows he doesn't have to have the lead going into Sunday to win a major. He finally figured out how to win it from a couple strokes back. Simply put... Play your own game. 

In my head I think this will be more like Jack's 1980, than 1986. Tiger isn't done winning or winning majors.

Rory will complete the career Grand Slam in the near future. Within three years I would guess. I think our friend Rory (whom I've always liked by the way), learned a lot on Sunday about how Augusta National plays on Sunday when he was out of contention, however Rory shot 68. 

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/1/2018 at 8:56 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

I put the chances of either at equal actually...

If I'm going to pick Tiger is going to win a major again, its going to be the Masters. I don't think he has the game to win the US Open or PGA again. At least not right now. But i think Tiger will be a contender at Augusta well into his 50's - he gets around that place too well.  

Rory has the ball striking game to beat Augusta into submission, but i just worry about his putting and short game consistency at that course. So I think tigers declining game and Rory's unpredictability kind of even out the chances of either or winning first. 

So.....that was a nicely thought out apparently....Let's see how the US Open/PGA comment plays out over the next couple years....

 

For the next round - I still think Rory will find his old game and get the C-slam, but as for even more majors for Tiger...now that he's playing like he should, Tiger gets 4 tries a year, Rory just the one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

So.....that was a nicely thought out apparently....Let's see how the US Open/PGA comment plays out over the next couple years....

 

For the next round - I still think Rory will find his old game and get the C-slam, but as for even more majors for Tiger...now that he's playing like he should, Tiger gets 4 tries a year, Rory just the one.

urwelcome 😎

But now that tiger has done it and proven to himself and his competitors he is a world class threat again, the sky is the limit for him. He can win the US Open this year. Maybe even should win. I think Rory is going to complete the career slam, eventually. Maybe next year for all we know. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

urwelcome 😎

But now that tiger has done it and proven to himself and his competitors he is a world class threat again, the sky is the limit for him. He can win the US Open this year. Maybe even should win. I think Rory is going to complete the career slam, eventually. Maybe next year for all we know. 

The longer he goes, the harder it gets. I firmly believe that. You could see what happened to him this year with the pressure on him. Rory could be to the Masters what Phil is to the USOpen. Also think Spieth is going to have a hard time getting the PGA. I’m willing to bet Koepka gets to the career grand slam before Rory and Jordan.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


15 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I'd have a hard time disagreeing with this.  

I'm leaning that way too....

 

BUT....how cool is it that the talent out there is giving us a reasonable expectations to be talking about which pros are likely to get their career slams..?

Edited by rehmwa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/20/2014 at 11:23 AM, jamo said:

That's a good question. If you'd asked me on Thursday night, I would have said Tiger. If you ask me in two weeks, I might say Tiger. Today, three hours after Rory won, it's tough not to go with McIlroy.

I have there different answers but two were Tiger so I’m taking credit 😜

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
On 7/20/2014 at 3:03 PM, billchao said:

I voted for Tiger. He's got the numbers on his side. Since his last major victory, he's had 9 top 10 finishes out of 19 events played, including 2 last year. In that same span, Rory has played in 6 Masters, with 1 top 10 finish. There are 4 opportunities a year for Tiger vs 1 for Rory. The PGA Championship is coming up, which means Tiger has a chance to win this contest before Rory even gets to tee the ball at Augusta.

Looks like I got this one right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo after clicking this link. For Mevo+, click this link or the image above.
  • Posts

    • Got my booster today.  Did not, and do not, feel a thing.  Needles must be thinner than they were when I was a kid.  Either that or I am just older and less sensitive.  Be safe folks.
    • Went four five.  Confidence is an emergent quality for me.  
    • I find that “confidence” only really comes into play in my game on the greens…I have become very good at knowing what shots I can hit and ones I cannot tee to green…high fade that starts over trouble and catches the left edge of the green leaving an uphill birdie putt?  Never could, never will…but hitting a punch shot that either catches the front of the green no matter where the pin is or at worst leaves a straightforward chip?  I can hit that shot all day, everyday… But when putting, every now and then the line and speed come together, and when happens on the first or second hole, that breeds great confidence with the flat stick and a great score is coming…opposite true as well…early three jacks just makes everything on the green a crapshoot… my 2 cents, for whatever it’s worth…      
    • I chose 8.  Of course one needs the ability and skill to play well, in any sport.  Being confident also does have a big impact on results.  Michael Jordan, Tiger and a slew of others wouldn’t have won as much as they did without confidence.
    • Truer words were never spoken... er ... typed. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. B_easy20
      B_easy20
      (29 years old)
    2. GolfClubbas
      GolfClubbas
      (22 years old)
    3. Jimmy1
      Jimmy1
      (26 years old)
    4. KTMrider
      KTMrider
      (54 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...