IGNORED

2015 Newport Cup Matches Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Math is unofficial but I think we just tied.

If either Matt or Jamo won a hole down the stretch on 17 or 18, it would've been a tie.  Win more, and blue wins. If Matt or Jamo win no hole on 17 or 18, then red wins. That was how I figured it. I haven't seen tweets on final two matches yet.  CLOSE!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, what a finish! Fantastic event, guys! Congratulations to all who participated, it was great to follow along!

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Congrats to all! Well played!

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Hmm.. Did anyone call a tie in the Ping competition thread? I knew it would be close, but wow.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Hmm.. Did anyone call a tie in the Ping competition thread? I knew it would be close, but wow.

I don't think so ... It's worth a second look though if you want to go through the 9 valid entries. ;) I plan on posting a recap of my match highlights (and lowlights) of the week when I get a chance later. Better do it today before I forget everything. Bottom line: this was a great time all round and I can't wait for the next one!

For those who weren't there: John ( @Club Rat ) took the first hole after I hacked it around a few times, but I battled back quickly, taking the second and third holes and grinding out a halve on the fourth despite giving a stroke. I maintained that lead throughout the front, growing it to 3-up through 8 before dropping a hole on the 9th to finish the front 2-up. I quickly jumped back out to back-side lead, growing my match lead to 4-up overall, but some shaky drives and a few putts left short pulled the back-side even through 16. The 17th, which was played up today, proved an important hole. I fatted a 5 iron, leaving myself with a daunting wedge over the water and bunker to a sucker pin, but I knew I had to make something happen. I stuck it to about 7 feet, and drained the curling birdie putt to best John's par, giving me a back-nine lead of 1-up and a 3-up lead overall. I ripped a drive on 18 down the middle, a ways in front of John's. Getting a stroke for the hole, John hit his approach just long and right, letting me know I'd have to make something happen if I wanted to win the back. I hit my 8 iron to about 20 feet, feeling in pretty decent shape to tie the hole as I watched John's tough pitch. It came off well from a fluffy lie, and rolled, and rolled, and rolled. Right. Into. The. Cup. Match over.
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:
I hit my 8 iron to about 20 feet, feeling in pretty decent shape to tie the hole as I watched John's tough pitch.

It came off well from a fluffy lie, and rolled, and rolled, and rolled.

Right. Into. The. Cup.

Match over.

Don't you love it when that happens? :cry:

Seriously, what a great match - thanks for the report!

Chris.:roll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3putt View Post
Quote:
I hit my 8 iron to about 20 feet, feeling in pretty decent shape to tie the hole as I watched John's tough pitch.

It came off well from a fluffy lie, and rolled, and rolled, and rolled.

Right. Into. The. Cup.

Match over.

Don't you love it when that happens? :cry:

Seriously, what a great match - thanks for the report!

The real kicker was everyone was waiting around the 18th green so we all got to see it. Just an awesome shot

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Don't you love it when that happens? :cry: Seriously, what a great match - thanks for the report!

It was a great match. I thought I was going to struggle after the first hole, but I battled back with some big putts and a great short game all day, making birdies on several par fives. By the middle of the back nine, however, I started leaving putts short, and a few wayward drives had sapped my confidence. I was trying to grow a big lead going into 16, knowing that I'd be giving strokes on 16 and 18 and knowing that anything could happen on 17. Then I made that putt on 17, and I was fist pumping like crazy.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Crazy that it ended up being a tie, most of the matches during the event were very close and could have gone either way. Proud of my team for making charge and giving it their best shot. It was a lot of fun to watch and root them on. Look forward to giving it another shot in a couple years.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Bottom line: this was a great time all round and I can't wait for the next one!

I'll second that....

Great time golfing with a really good bunch of guys and good players as well.

We had a couple of darn good "Captain's" also, but without being partial, I think the Red Team had the better Captain.....

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Looks like you guys had a great time. I followed it as much as I could. If any of you East Coast guys would have responded to my wish of luck to you in the other thread you would have won though. ;-). Crazy that this thing ended in a tie and impressive day for the Red team(communists) today!

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Boarding my flight home with @Golfingdad back to Southern California. I had a fantastic time meeting all the other members and wanted to thank Erik and Mike for putting on such an awesome event. The nail biting finish was just icing on the cake of a great week. I'll post a mini recap of my matches when I have a bit more time this weekend.

Final day photos along with a few pics of surrounds, homes and the inside of a fabulous club house.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 3103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!