IGNORED

What's your 78 yard club?

sirhacksalot
Note: This thread is 2743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anywhere from a pitchy 8 Iron to an A3 Lob Wedge

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/26/2016 at 3:57 PM, sirhacksalot said:

For me this is a unsure hard 60 degree which hasnt been working, or a controlled sand iron, which usually is a 100 yrd club.  The course I play usually is very fluffy around the greens so if any short iron lands short it usually stops where it hits.  I feel driving has been great lately, the regular Sunday group I play with everyone plays from the whites which has quite a few short par 4s with a good drive im leaving myself quite a few of these 60-85 yard feely shots that haven't been converting pars as easy as they probably should be.

9i to SW... Two different types of swings from my PW.

I see you have LSW.  From the idea in the book (and posts on this forum) I came up with this which I have taped on my push cart and have made a card also for my pocket when I don't have my push cart.

Distances.JPG

• Upvote 2

Depending on conditions, soft sand wedge or choke down SW.  I agree with anyone who has posted it can be any number of clubs.   I don't get enough chances to play 7i in for that kind of distance.   But it's certainly fun to make clubs do things like that. 

—Adam

15 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

9i to SW... Two different types of swings from my PW.

I see you have LSW.  From the idea in the book (and posts on this forum) I came up with this which I have taped on my push cart and have made a card also for my pocket when I don't have my push cart.

Distances.JPG

True, mapping shot zones and distances is something that I still need to do,  I have been putting it off for a couple of reasons 1) a swing / club / grip change can cause big differences in results and 2) when ready i was thinking i would book a launch monitor session in a near by town, but just haven't done it.  I feel like I only get so much time for golf (young family, 4yr and 2 yr old) and so far Ive chosen to play instead of book the launch monitor time.  However that doesn't mean that I couldn't instead of hitting range balls walk out to a par 5 and start at the 250 marker and walk off from the 100-150 yrd marker the results with just a few clubs at a time. I should be able to do the longer clubs using a yardage book from the tee box.  

• Upvote 1

I have similar issues from that range as my GW is great for chipping but not a good full shot.

I would choke down and do a 1/2 swing with PW or 1/4 swing with 8iron... kinda depends on situation.

Best thing is to develop 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 swings that you can use with all clubs as it opens up options for lots of shots.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

• iacas changed the title to What's your 78 yard club?

3/4 swing 60 degree wedge!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Depends on what is between my ball, and the other end of that 78 yards. 

Club could be an approach wedge, or it could be an uphill, short swing, 5i. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Back in high school I learned how to get 3 unique distances out of single club using a consistent full swing every time.

For the 55-degree wedge:  Square stance, gripped at end = 80 yards.  Open stance, gripped at the end = 70 yards (increased loft).  Open stance, gripped down = 60 yards.

Now I have added a lob wedge to my bag and it has only made my short-approach distance control worse.  Sure, it is a good option when chipping to a tucked pin, but the full swing consistency isn't as good as I used to have with my old Wilson 1200 LT.

I could go 3/4 56*, slightly choked up 60* or even a topped driver.  

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

On 8/26/2016 at 6:57 PM, sirhacksalot said:

For me this is a unsure hard 60 degree which hasnt been working, or a controlled sand iron, which usually is a 100 yrd club.  The course I play usually is very fluffy around the greens so if any short iron lands short it usually stops where it hits.  I feel driving has been great lately, the regular Sunday group I play with everyone plays from the whites which has quite a few short par 4s with a good drive im leaving myself quite a few of these 60-85 yard feely shots that haven't been converting pars as easy as they probably should be.

This being the case, why not back off with a 3 wood or less to give yourself a full wedge or 9 iron to the green? Those iffy, in between yardages are hard to hit unless your distance control is spot on.

As for me my 78 yard club would be my sand wedge. I can't hit that thing more than 80 yards no matter how hard I try, and if I scoop it rather than hit down on it I'll wind up short. So, again, I'd rather back off to about 100 yards and hit a full pitching wedge.

Note: This thread is 2743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!