IGNORED

Where do you draw the line? WINTER IS COMING

CptShankapotamus
Note: This thread is 2694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

G'morning all! Its a chilly-ish morning here in Chicago which made me want to ask this to you all: where do you personally draw the line to play given the weather and conditions?

I know many people who put away the clubs when it drops below 60 degrees and also know a few who will play until a foot of snow is on the ground (even then I'm sure they'll try to somehow). With the colder and wetter conditions and as winter begins to take over, do you all also continue your play/practice indoors at ranges or simulators? 

I personally do not play below about 40 degrees with a wind chill. It begins to feel more like an episode of survival than a round of golf but that's just me being weak. I'm also brand new to this site so I look forward to communicating with a lot of new people! Happy Sunday! 

coldgolf.jpg

If playing, upper 30s if no wind, rain, snow. Practice, indoor simulators mostly, if 45 or above and not windy, then outside. 

Not used to cold weather people who start wearing thick coats and gloves once it gets in 50s. Oy vey. Won't play below 60? Playing in the 50s is pretty enjoyable. Easy to get on, not as many people on the course. Downside is fewer daylight hours.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The courses make the decision for me as they won't let anyone out if the greens have frost on them.

My home course is also ski resort so they stay open in the Winter (Northern Michigan). I've played as late as December but there is normally snow on the ground in early November.

Snow covering the course would be where I'd draw the line.

Jon

I'll play as long as I don't need to wear gloves (during shots). That's about 40 degrees or so.

I will practice in almost any weather, since my range has heaters. I was actually planning on practicing today, even in a light snow, but the 30-mph wind gusts changed that plan.

- John

Down here in Jacksonville, I draw the line when it's over 95 degrees.   That's usually in July or August.   Down here, in the middle of winter, there are many days when it's over 60 degrees, so my offseason, if I have one, is in the summer. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

so my offseason, if I have one, is in the summer. 

Ditto. I love living in Florida! Though this year, a cooler full of ice, towels, and beer got me through the heat just fine. ;-)

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

In my golfing infancy, I played to where approach shots sprang off the frozen greens like a bouncy ball and skipped balls across the frozen ponds onto the green on the opposite side. But now, feeling my age a bit, and because I don't score as well in cold weather, I generally won't play if it's below 45*

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

If the temperature would represent either an exceptionally good nine, or an exceptionally bad eighteen, I usually find something else to do.

• Upvote 2

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I don't mind wearing some cold gear under my shirt and pants but I don't like when my hands are uncomfortably cold as I don't like wearing gloves on both hands.  Usually that means anything under 45, especially if there is a wind, is too cold for me.  

Joe Paradiso

If the temperature drops below 35*F I won't play. If it is under 40*, rain and windy I won't play. we don't get much snow here but it can get cold enough for frost on the greens. Yet after noon it will be all gone and we can then play. 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I don't mind wearing some cold gear under my shirt and pants but I don't like when my hands are uncomfortably cold as I don't like wearing gloves on both hands.  Usually that means anything under 45, especially if there is a wind, is too cold for me.  

Cold hands and/or too many layers is a non-starter for me, yeah.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't have too many limits as our season is short enough in Northern Maine but if it's in the 20's and windy I won't play. My main limit is when the greens get covered I'm done which is based on the temp average so when they are cold enough to cover it's usually too cold for me which should be anytime now, though it's been a bit more mild then normal which I don't mind!

Frost is my deciding factor. If the delay runs past 11am I am out. Sometimes a really cold wind combined with frost can stop me as well.  

We don't get that much frost though because it is so often raining. Freezing rain is also enough to stop me. 

Michael

4 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

Down here in Jacksonville, I draw the line when it's over 95 degrees.   That's usually in July or August.   Down here, in the middle of winter, there are many days when it's over 60 degrees, so my offseason, if I have one, is in the summer. 

^^^^^

- Shane

If the greens are covered with snow or frozen, I won't play. When the temperature is around 32 degrees, the ground freezes so that is a no go.  I won't start a round in steady rain. If the temperature is under 40 and the wind is over 20 mph I would hesitate to play.  There would need to be something positive like full sun.

i find my rain suit with long underwear, turtleneck and sock hat keeps me comfortable while walking the course.  No heavy coat for me.

Brian Kuehn

If I can still see "most"  the playing field, I will play. Rain, wind, blowing snow, cold temps won't keep me from playing if one of my buddies calls me up. 

I have played in some pretty miserable weather before. 

I guess my line for not playing would be when the course is under water,  or snow.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

3 hours ago, shanksalot said:

If the temperature drops below 35*F I won't play. If it is under 40*, rain and windy I won't play. we don't get much snow here but it can get cold enough for frost on the greens. Yet after noon it will be all gone and we can then play. 

This. Wind is a big deal breaker. Sun at 35° and I'll play. Tougher to play in fall at 40° than the spring.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 2694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!