IGNORED

What are Your 2017 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1) Establish consistency in my swing routine DURING actual play.

2) Find my chipping and 20-30 yard pitching shots again.

3) Qualify for Newport Cup and play really well this time if actually selected. Have been playing better in CC tourneys.

4) Play at least 40 rounds. I am at 31 for the year and will get in appx 2 rounds before 12/31.. I think.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Got a big list for this year!

Golf more this year.

Join a Monday night league.

Break 90 all the time and maybe get into the breaking 80 club.

Beat my friend multiple times in a row.

Find a decent practice place near me.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Consistency and confidence are my goals, I believe the go together. I am still new and plan on some more lessons, my only goal right now is to be able to address the ball and feel confident that when I swing, I will hit the ball and send it up and forward. That's all I am looking for right now. Not fussed too much on distance or absolute accuracy... Just to able to hit the ball with each try on the course.

- Have always been athletic.  Healthy, fit, injury free, etc.  As I have gotten older the injuries have started to pop up, weight has gone up, etc.  My biggest goal is to get passed these injuries and get my body into the kind of shape it needs to be in to do the rest of my goals.

- Main golf goal would be to finally get into the 5-7 HC range.  Have gotten as low as an 8 but have lost it as the injuries have occurred.   

- Biggest weakness is GIR.  My biggest playing goal is to become a much better ball striker and to really start understanding how to play better golf and not just hope it happens.

1. Break 70 multiple times.  I didn’t break 70 at all this year.  Never had all my game going at the same time during any stretch.  The pieces are there but I need to put them together.

2. Improve the driver.  It’s been the weakest club in my bag for the past few years.  Inconsistent and manifests in hooks when it starts going bad.  I’m planning on getting fitted for a driver early next year to make sure I find the right combination of shaft and head/loft.
  3. Play more.  In the past few years I’ve relegated myself to hitting more balls than playing.  I believe this is a big reason why #1 is happening.  My consistency is not where it needs to be and not being on the course more is part of it.  I have a great range swing most days but fail to bring it to the course.  I’m planning on joining a club not far from the house and playing nine when I use to go hit balls for 60-90 minutes.  The hope is that I can have a swing/routine that transitions easily from the range to the course.

4. Re-read LSW and work it into my game.  I often find myself, post-round, analyzing things and realizing how I could have bettered the score incorporating some very simple LSW tenants into my pre-shot routine.  Golf is already hard enough and even more maddening when you realize you could have saved shots before you even swang the club.
  5. Have fun.  Honestly, 2016 wasn't a fun year of golf.  There were moments of good, not great experiences.  I never felt like I had a stretch of rounds, even holes, where everything was clicking and enjoyable. I was always fighting myself and very negative/frustrated with my game.  If I can execute on a couple of the above goals I think #5 will take care of itself.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

My Main Goal - Is to be a little more consistent.  

1.To do this I need to putt better - I just miss too many make-able putts (Probably will take a putting lesson this year)

2. And I need to get rid of the bad holes (Double Bogeys) - Still shoot in the 70's but can't seem to get rid of the one or two doubles per round.

And finally I want to try and play in more tournaments away from my home course this year, I played 165 rounds but most tournaments were at my club.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

My main goal is to get my swing consistent enough to get fit for a set of  irons.

also would like to be able to just be able to play boogie golf by the end of the year.

2017 Goals

Score

Drive Accuracy

58%

65%

GIR

19%

33%

Putts/Round

Penalties/Round

Bunkers/Round

Sand Saves/Round

6.9%

10%

Scrambling

10.5%

15%

Edited by 3puttssuck

I'm looking forward to 2017.  I have had quite a few years in a row of playing just a handful of times and I'm finally to the point where I can use 2017 as a baseline to move forward, so my goals are more about creating that baseline as opposed to improving stats. 

1. Play 30 rounds.  This might be pushing it for me with 4 young girls at home, but I think I can make it, and hopefully get the older 2 on the course this year to start learning.

2. Track all rounds with game golf.  I bought the system last year but never got used to using it.  This should help point me in the right direction with my practice long term

3. Play 3-4 tournaments where I play my own ball and post a score

4. Focused practice sessions 3-4 times per week.  I just signed back up for evolvr.  I want to stay away from all other golf tips and concentrate on my priority

5. Visit @iacas at golf evolution for an in person lesson

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

I'd previously posted that the goal was just to play more; having played a few times in the last week, I definitely have the bug again to play and practice. I think that I should be able to twice a month and get in some decent practice, even if it is just drills at home.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

My goal,sSame as last year... continue to work on my swing path to get a more consistent straight or baby draw ball flight.  I'll do this by hitting balls at least 5 times a week, and at the beginning of each session I'll remind myself of this priority.  It's proven to be a long process.

28 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

I'm looking forward to 2017.  I have had quite a few years in a row of playing just a handful of times and I'm finally to the point where I can use 2017 as a baseline to move forward, so my goals are more about creating that baseline as opposed to improving stats. 

1. Play 30 rounds.  This might be pushing it for me with 4 young girls at home, but I think I can make it, and hopefully get the older 2 on the course this year to start learning.

2. Track all rounds with game golf.  I bought the system last year but never got used to using it.  This should help point me in the right direction with my practice long term

3. Play 3-4 tournaments where I play my own ball and post a score

4. Focused practice sessions 3-4 times per week.  I just signed back up for evolvr.  I want to stay away from all other golf tips and concentrate on my priority

5. Visit @iacas at golf evolution for an in person lesson

That's great in my opinion.  All those goals are completely in your control.  That's the way I like  to set goals.

I consider something like, "to lower my handicap to a 10" to be an aspiration not a goal because it's not completely in ones control.  Whereas, "Play 30 rounds", that is something you can control.

5 hours ago, 3puttssuck said:

Putts/Round

I would not normally comment on one's goals, but this is highly unrealistic: that means an average of 27 putts per round. Even Tour professionals don't average 28 putts per round. I consider myself a decent putter and am currently at 30.3 putts per round (1.68 putts per hole). And, in order to achieve that, I need (a lot) better than 15% scrambling. Just sayin'.

Good luck with your 2017 goals. I hope you achieve them all and more!

Edited by sjduffers

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

I would not normally comment on one's goals, but this is highly unrealistic: that means an average of 27 putts per round. Even Tour professionals don't average 28 putts per round. I consider myself a decent putter and am currently at 30.3 putts per round (1.68 putts per hole). And, in order to achieve that, I need (a lot) better than 15% scrambling. Just sayin'.

Good luck with your 2017 goals. I hope you achieve them all and more!

Actually he said 1.5 putts per round. :-)

FWIW, I average 1.7 putts/hole. And compared to a scratch golfer, my putting is… 2.12 strokes per round gained.

I'm with @sjduffers, @3puttssuck: your goal is unrealistic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Improve on my weaknesses...

1. Putting

Target:  Average 2 putts per hole for the last half of the season

How: Identify why starting line is off so much. Devote higher percentage of practice time to <6' putts.

2. Short Game

Target: Improve scrambling from 7% to 10%.

How: Work on feel, a bit more practice. Learn to hit from green side bunkers

3. Full Swing

Target: Average <2 penalties per 18 holes, maintain GIR average from 2016.

How: Slightly more practice devoted to woods and driver specifically keys 3 and 4. Continue priority work with irons - key 2.

Jon

2 things - hit more greens in regulation and limit my 3 putts. I usually hit 5 or maybe 6 GIR on a good day, and it would make a huge difference if I could get that up to 7 or 8 a round consistently. 

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

My 2017 Goals Are:

1) Break 80 for the first time.

2) Hit more GIR and Improve Putts Per Hole Avgs.

3) Improve Consistency and average below 85 by the end of 2017.

To achieve these goals, I'm going to be more consistent with my practice. I'm going to commit to having a practice session each week and focus more on improving my short game than I did last year.

Really aiming for landing in the single digit handicap performance. At my best I was a 10 and averaged an 11 handicap performance. Last year I saw so much improvement from just grinding a few hours a day at the range, green, spontaneous rounds, putting in the basement, and chipping in the backyard. I didn't take any lessons, just purely learning from myself and feedback from what I see from my shots.

Specifically for next year, I will definitely head to the range as often (about 2 times a week) but engage in more quality time there and paying attention to each shot instead of feeling and seeing good contact and being happy with the rest. 

Specific Objectives

Driver: Consistency over distance 

Irons: Dialing in distances to reach greens in two (often club down and end up about 10 yards shy)

Wedges: Better play out of the sand. Don't end up there too often. But if I do, it's game over.

Putter: Improved lag putting

Note: This thread is 2327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!