IGNORED

Unpopular opinions you have about golf?

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 2618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not one I agree with, but one I've seen on TST

You should post your scores for handicap in any way you choose, no matter what the rules say.  The corollary, anyone who plays in net events is wither a sandbagger or a sucker. 

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Golf carts are the worst. They're good for business, but bad for the game. 

I agree 100%  I loathe golf carts. Golf carts are like firearms, a lot of people aren't nearly so formidable without them.  

This is an "unpopular opinion" thread right?

It cannot change because of the long history of the rules of golf and the many millions of rounds played according to the rules, but the original definition of hazards as only consisting of water or sand was a mistake.

Every single person who plays golf is at fault for golf's pace of play problem.

Really good players play the slowest, but get away with it because they play the fewest shots.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, Kalnoky said:

I agree 100%  I loathe golf carts. Golf carts are like firearms, a lot of people aren't nearly so formidable without them.  

This is an "unpopular opinion" thread right?

I totally agree!  Golf carts suck and they contribute to the "golf is not a real sport" argument.  But some people need them . .and that is cool.  

But it should not be the norm that everybody is just going to get a cart and I *HATE* it when courses are designed so as to be un-walkable . .ie . .long distance from green to the next tee.

7 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

If you are on a golf course and you hit a golf ball with a golf club from a tee to a hole on the green, even if along the way you; took a mulligan, or rolled it out of a divot, or dropped where one went OB, or didn't take a "proper" drop, or accidentally made your ball move and didn't add strokes, or grounded your club in a hazard and didn't add strokes, or hit the flagstick with a putt and didn't add strokes, or any number of other things, as far as I'm concerned, you still "played golf."

Yeah, well, what else are you gonna call it??... 'Anything but golf' doesn't sound sexy.. lol!

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

"Stroke AAAANNND distance?! WTF!!", "What do you mean I am hitting three!! When did I attempt this 2nd shot you speak of?!!"

On a serious note, new technology for irons every year is 98% baloney.. Stamping 7 on a 26 degree lofted iron is not new technology. It's not 'technology' at all..

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

Golf is easy.

Just kidding.

OK, my serious answers:

1. There is generally nothing wrong with "clone" clubs, especially irons.

2. Cast is better than forged.

3. David Leadbetter seems to be a pretty good golf coach.

4. The flag should never be removed from the cup (even putting).

I should be able to play defense in a heads-up golf match.  Whether that means I don't mark my ball or I can scream during an opponents swing... I should be able to play defense.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

In comparison with other sports I've done, there is nothing manly in the game of golf.  Yet if you hit from forward tees or not bombing drives there is a definite under-current that permeates, even if unspoken.

John

Edited by 70sSanO
  • Upvote 2

This comes from being in the golf business. I hate golfnow and other 3rd party websites that offer discounted or free golf.  The point when their reps come here is that it markets the course and gets people to come out and buy your product.  99% of the golfers who used golfnow at our course bought nothing.  No beverages, golf balls, food, nothing, so it's not at all worth it.  And they don't come unless its through one of those sites.  I'd rather sell that 9:30 tee time to someone else.

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

On 12/5/2016 at 0:35 PM, Golfingdad said:

If you are on a golf course and you hit a golf ball with a golf club from a tee to a hole on the green, even if along the way you; took a mulligan, or rolled it out of a divot, or dropped where one went OB, or didn't take a "proper" drop, or accidentally made your ball move and didn't add strokes, or grounded your club in a hazard and didn't add strokes, or hit the flagstick with a putt and didn't add strokes, or any number of other things, as far as I'm concerned, you still "played golf."

I would agree. I'm not going to call someone out on not playing golf. In the reverse, I don't think that golfer should get bent out of shape if they agree to play by strict rules of golf and then get called out on bad habits. 

3 minutes ago, MrDC said:

The rules should be relaxed to make the game better, for both pros and casual players.

I disagree. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Don't know how unpopular this one is or not, but after reading about Steve Williams looking for a guy who didn't rake a bunker...

Professional golfers are the best in the world and should be able to deal with sub-optimal course conditions -- even it's it unfair because someone didn't rake a bunker -- without it becoming a "thing."

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

While golfing today, I developed a possible unpopular opinion on golf.  The cart person should not be a guy. A woman should be "maning" the beverage cart. I feel better tipping a female. 

Now before any of you declare me a "gender racist" ( and some of you would like to) I am just horsing around with this. Although a bit of a surprise today, a guy driving the beverage cart is no big deal. As long as the beer is cold, or the coffee does not remove paint. Then again he did have a nice set of .....never mind. :-P

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!