IGNORED

Mickelson and Bones split

phillyk
Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I read a tweet (can't remember who) saying Bones is interested in pursuing a career in television. I would be interested in what he has to say so I think that would be a good transition for him.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, mchepp said:

I read a tweet (can't remember who) saying Bones is interested in pursuing a career in television. I would be interested in what he has to say so I think that would be a good transition for him.

I read that he did on course announcing for the 2015 RSM Classic.  Not sure of the response he got, but carrying a mic is a lot easier than a bag.  And he surely knows how to read a course.

John

6 hours ago, mchepp said:

He helped cover a tournament last year. I can't remember which one. I wouldn't be surprised if he is trying to get into that arena,  seeing how he has had knee replacement surgeries and his legs probably don't feel like they can handle another 10 years of lugging a bag.

Edited by Valleygolfer

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Like everyone, I never saw this coming - especially with Bones being in Minnesota scouting the course, just in case there was a weather delay that would have allowed Phil to play.

That being said, I hope to see each of them win a US Open and get their grand slams; but I would think it is more likely that Bones could do this by finding the right young gun who needs someone on his bag.
Maybe an amateur looking to turn - Thornberry, Scheffler, Champ. Or a young pro who has already made some progress Gribble, Cantlay, Hossler.
(or just make some easy money on the Bernhard Langer Senior Tour money train)

Players play, tough players win!

I didn't know about the veto thing till now:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/06/phil-mickelson-jim-bones-mackay-caddie-golf-break-up-statements-why-veto-power-videos

What caddies stayed with their guy till the end? Fanny/Faldo?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I wonder whether Bones was really allowed one veto per year but, if its true, he missed some serious opportunities that probably could have helped Phil win a couple of US Opens. Winged Foot (hole #18) and Merion (hole #13) come immediately to mind.

• Upvote 1

Bill M

34 minutes ago, phan52 said:

I wonder whether Bones was really allowed one veto per year but, if its true, he missed some serious opportunities that probably could have helped Phil win a couple of US Opens. Winged Foot (hole #18) and Merion (hole #13) come immediately to mind.

A bad result isn't necessarily the result of a bad decision. 

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

11 hours ago, mchepp said:

Interesting. I would be all for hearing what he has to say vs. many of the usual talking heads

Just now, DaveP043 said:

A bad result isn't necessarily the result of a bad decision. 

But in Phil's cases, they often are :/

Since we can only guess, I would agree with @mchepp and @Valleygolfer as being the most probably development.

A man (or woman) just needs or wants something new at some point in their life regardless of success.

Hope it works out well for both of them.

Vishal S.

After having a knee replaced, and hearing the talk about television (golf commentator?), it may be that speculation about him carrying anyone's bag is a bit premature.

• Upvote 2

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

4 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

After having a knee replaced, and hearing the talk about television (golf commentator?), it may be that speculation about him carrying anyone's bag is a bit premature.

Agree. I haven't had a replacement, but have knee issues. Bags are heavy and courses hilly. I l like Bones and would love to hear his viewpoint during tournaments.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I don't think that Bones will be on somebody else's bag; at least not right away. Like others have mentioned, I think he'll try to do the TV thing for a little bit and see how that goes.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

5 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I didn't know about the veto thing till now:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/06/phil-mickelson-jim-bones-mackay-caddie-golf-break-up-statements-why-veto-power-videos

What caddies stayed with their guy till the end? Fanny/Faldo?

Tom Watson-Bruce Edwards comes to mind, although, they "were on a break" for a couple years during their thirty year partnership.

I can't help but continuing to make lame Phil and Bones jokes. Bones' letter to Phil, probably :~(:

At least I crack myself up.

Constantine

Did I miss something here? If it was simply a matter of Bones having bad knees and feeling it's time to 'retire', that's what would've been said. Done. "Phil and Bones have mutually decided to split" is a kind way of saying Phil doesn't want Bones anymore or Bones doesn't want to loop for Phil anymore. 

'Hey Phil, my knees are killing me. It's been great but I think I need to pursue some other career that's not so taxing on my aging body.' Big deal. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I thought he has had both knees replaced.  Regardless, I've been wondering for a while how at 51 years old with knee replacement surgery he is able to carry a heavy bag for maybe 6 rounds in one week.

Speculation is fun:  Maybe Bones had some huge bonus in his contract in the event that Phil got the career grand slam and Bones was super pissed that Phil skipped Erin Hills.

Maybe it is the knees and instead of Bones just saying, "I can't do it anymore", he mentioned to Phil how, after scoping out Erin Hills he was glad he didn't have to lug the bag around and Phil just said, "ya know, maybe it's time you called it a career?  You want to be able to play with your grandkids, don't you?"  "yeah," replied Bones, "I've been kind of thinking about that myself..."

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!