IGNORED

Debating on buying a new grill

TN94z
Note: This thread is 2475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)

Debating on buying a new grill

So I have a charcoal grill that I have had for a while and I am debating on getting a gas grille for the simplicity, less mess, quicker cooking, and more consistency. I would keep my charcoal grill for smoking, etc... What are your opinions on the two? I also thought about getting a hibachi style grill which would open me up for cooking breakfast type foods, pancakes, fried rice, etc.....

Or, the wife wants to fix up the back patio once he gets out of school with a pergola and all that, so we could wait and do like a stationary natural gas grill setup.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Only time I use propane is with a camp stove and cast iron skillets or a griddle. Propane grills are quick and easy but I am not fond of the results. If I had to make a choice of just one thing I'd go with a Blackstone griddle. I get better burgers and steak out of a hot skillet than I did my propane grill. But I like to fidget when I have time so initial cook might be sous vide or in my pellet smoker. When I just need to burn meat it goes in my 15" Lodge skillet and I control temp with a laser thermometer.

I do a lot of stuff like this.

IMG_0108[1].JPG

Edited by Dave2512

Dave :-)

I have both, gas and charcoal and think it's a good and convenient way to go. Gas is nice for cooking out during the work week when dont have much time. A well used and seasoned gas grill can make good tasting food. Charcoal on the weekends though, love to use my Weber grill. 

53 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I have both, gas and charcoal and think it's a good and convenient way to go. Gas is nice for cooking out during the work week when dont have much time. A well used and seasoned gas grill can make good tasting food. Charcoal on the weekends though, love to use my Weber grill

Weber, Weber, Weber.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

We don't have the patience to wait for charcoal.  Food does taste better than a gas grill but my belly usually says "feed me" and it usually means NOW. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

(edited)

I was talking with my cousin, who has both, about the taste. He said that he can barely taste any difference. He said, if anything, you get a more "meat" taste with gas because you don't have the smokey charcoal flavor that comes with charcoal. And I have read that in some articles as well. So, I'm guessing I would get a different answer depending on who I ask. I need to just taste both and determine that part for myself. I'm kinda feeling like @Gator Hazard mentioned where the gas would mainly be weeknight thing and the charcoal would be used on the weekend. I'm still on the fence, just because if I buy a new gas grill, it won't be cheap because I will want a good one like Weber and they are high. I would buy a bigger one to have the real estate for direct and indirect cooling and a place to lay the finished meat to stay warm. I would not want a small 2 burner.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

I have a weber spirit propane grill, a charbroil natural gas grill, and a green egg. Personally unless I am doing ribs or something else smoked or slow cooked I use the weber. If we have lots of people over I use the natural gas grill as it is very big. The Weber spirit is my favorite grill ever. Quick, easy, and perfect size.

It always comes down to time vs quality. In an ideal world, you can have both. A good gas grill (can't go wrong with Weber) and a charcoal grill for when you have the time. My sister has a green egg and that's hard to beat. You're ability to control temp is unparalleled. It's rare that I have the time for charcoal, and when I do, I fire up the Turkish grill with some hardwood. Yum. 

43 minutes ago, upndown21 said:

I have a weber spirit propane grill, a charbroil natural gas grill, and a green egg. Personally unless I am doing ribs or something else smoked or slow cooked I use the weber. If we have lots of people over I use the natural gas grill as it is very big. The Weber spirit is my favorite grill ever. Quick, easy, and perfect size.

I have a Spirit too. I think it's the 210. A little small, but a great BBQ. Weber is a great company. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I have a Camp Chef smoke pro se, uses pellets for fuel. Not as fast as gas but it works for everything. Mine you just set what temp you want, anywhere from low smoke(180) to 500 on the high setting. Some come with a sear box that hook up to them for a fast cook or to sear, I use a cast iron grill/griddle that I keep on the cooking grate to sear something at the end. I did smoked hamburger with a reverse sear the other night and they were to die for 

IMG_0743.JPG

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

A well used and seasoned gas grill can make good tasting food.

Yes. And…

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

I was talking with my cousin, who has both, about the taste. He said that he can barely taste any difference. He said, if anything, you get a more "meat" taste with gas because you don't have the smokey charcoal flavor that comes with charcoal.

Yeah, I've done tests, and often people like the taste from the gas grill more. It might sound gross… but don't clean it all the time. :-) That's what "well used and seasoned" means.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, I've done tests, and often people like the taste from the gas grill more. It might sound gross… but don't clean it all the time. :-) That's what "well used and seasoned" means.

Doesn't sound gross to me. We use a cast iron skillet a lot. Well used and seasoned is the only way to use those. 

Bryan A

Mini hijack, anyone use this Weber Q1000? Like the size and good entry-way into grilling, haven't really done it much. It uses a small propane tank, but I don't see that as a problem if you can get it easily at Home Depot, you can just get 2 or 3 to save a trip, no?

91Gh59VgxIL._SL1500_.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

3 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Mini hijack, anyone use this Weber Q1000? Like the size and good entry-way into grilling, haven't really done it much. It uses a small propane tank, but I don't see that as a problem if you can get it easily at Home Depot, you can just get 2 or 3 to save a trip, no?

91Gh59VgxIL._SL1500_.jpg

My only issues with the small grill is that I like having a direct heat area and indirect heat area. So I prefer having much more area to move food around. That and I just cook more at one time. That would be cool for camping or tailgating though

Bryan A

Charcoal doesn't take that much longer but is messy. I prefer the flavor of charcoal but if you just want cooked food with out having to deal with coal,  gas is the ticket. I will roll with coal....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

You can't go wrong with Webber Genesis. They aren't cheap but I love mine. It's going on 7 years old and still works as good as the day I bought it. It's been outside in Wisconsin the whole time I've owned it and to this point has shown minimal wear. I use it all year long and quite often(since my wife doesn't like to cook).  Personally I don't like food on a charcoal grill. Burgers and sausage are fine but IMO it ruins any seafood or a steak.

Use charcoal otherwise you're just moving standard methods outdoors.

I do think Weber might be a little over-rated. I have some cheapo square grill with a very easy removable charcoal bucket and the the whole thing is just a lot easier to clean and use than those awkward round things.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I just bought a Weber Spirit 3 burner and so far (couple of weeks in) I am very pleased with it.  I'm definitely on the gas over charcoal side of the fence based on my perception of the relative convenience and the fact that I prefer the 'gas cooked taste'.

My big requirement though is that I can leave it out year round and not have to worry too much about it wearing out in a year or two.  It remains to be seen how that works out.  My previous grill had wooden shelves and they rotted away pretty quickly.  All metal construction on the Weber seems a more sensible idea.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

I have a Weber Genesis at home and a Spirit at the cottage. Both are great. The Spirit can get really hot, 600-650, which is great for steaks. The Genesis only 550. The Genesis has a lot of surface area, which helps for big meals. You can also get flat top griddles that are great for veggies and other small stuff. 

I like charcoal too, but never have the time. When I retire, I'll get a smoker or maybe a Green Egg, which can do both. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!