IGNORED

Marker Size

iceman777
Note: This thread is 2407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 9/12/2017 at 5:42 PM, iacas said:

You can mark the ball with a log if you want.

How 'bout a piece of goose shit?

Honestly I don't care what you mark your ball with all I ask is to please move your mark, if it's in my intended line of putt. I think I've marked my ball with a pop tab in a pinch... Usually I have Stewie, Peter or Brian (ball markers) on my hat clip.

Edited by onthehunt526

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
9 hours ago, NM Golf said:

On another note, I have never fully understood the use of those little plastic ball markers with the peg on the bottom you buy in the pro shop. What's wrong with a coin? We have those little plastic ones in our pro shop for $0.25 each and people buy them all the time. Every time someone gives me a dollar for 4 of those things I always want to ask them if they realize I could just give them 4 quarters instead and then after their round they could even use them again to buy something. :doh:

They're colored, and thus both more fun and easier to see. They don't jingle in your pockets, either.

Just guessing. I don't use them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I ordered a scorecard holder from aliexpress for about $12. It also holds a pencil, 4 tees, a pitch mark repair tool with a magnetic marker and a hat clamp with a magnetic marker. 

I use the hat clip marker all the time. It's always there because I'm sick of searching for the coins in my pocket. 

I prefer the magnetic ball markers that fit on the hat clip.    I also carry the same size in a divot tool.   I try to always have two available during the round.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

If you’re marking the exact location of the ball, there’s no written rule on what you can and cannot use. I think poker chips are obnoxious but I’m sure I do something that someone finds obnoxious. Bottom line is that it doesn’t matter what’s someone marks the ball with, as long as the ball is marked. I don’t care if you’re using a penny or a trifold wallet, if you’re not in my line I don’t care and if you are, you’re moving it.

I've two that I have somehow managed to keep for years. One is a 1997 spread eagle back quarter that has a perfect triangle machine-stamped on on the front. The other a two toned  gold/silver 1993 Republika NG Pillipinas 10 Piso. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

On 9/12/2017 at 3:41 PM, iceman777 said:

Of course , as a senior , its no fun when I cant find that dime on the green  .

I have found that a magnetic marker clipped onto my hat bill works well. It's easy to find, and lays flat on the green - I get little call to move it when someone plays a longer putt.

The trick is to find a clip assembly that doesn't cost $16.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

As a slight aside, it's actually something I noticed a few months ago on my new gloves and wondered about markers. It seemed at one time all gloves came with snaps and the top of the snap came off for your marker. Even when gloves went to velcro, they still had the tee marker snap. I don't see that at all anywhere. Now I just use plastic pre made markers with no appreciable lip on them.

On 9/12/2017 at 2:41 PM, iceman777 said:

Is there any rule regarding what can be used for a marker, or the size of a marker ? I recently played with someone whose marker was the size of a bag tag. I don't like to even use a quarter , thinking its too big and would interfere with the ball's direction, if the ball passed over it . I try to use a dime if I dont have a "traditional" pro shop type marker . Of course , as a senior , its no fun when I cant find that dime on the green  . LOL

Even a dime will deflect a ball off course.  If it's in someone's line of putt, it should be moved to one side or the other, regardless of size.

I carry 2 markers in my right pocket when I play.  One is a poker ship type (I have several as souvenirs from various courses), and the other is a smaller metal one - most recently using one from The Old Works Course in Montana.  I use the small one when I can tell that I'm close to someone's line or somewhere near the hole.  In either case, I'll move it or putt out first if asked.

I really don't understand how anyone can be distracted or distressed just because of the size or visibility of another player's ball marker.  I sort of like having a visible ball marker near my line to help as an aiming device.  Not to hit it, but to set my line at, say 4" right of the spot for example.  The more visible it is, the better.  

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

This thread is making me want to mark my ball with funny things.  Next time I play I think I'll try marking my ball with... another ball.

• Like 1

I normally have a larger coin and a smaller one in my pocket and use the smaller one if I'm close to the hole. I like to use foreign currency since its something that people don't often use.  Right now my coin of choice is the Danish Kroner.

g796.jpg

• Like 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

21 hours ago, Fourputt said:

Even a dime will deflect a ball off course.  If it's in someone's line of putt, it should be moved to one side or the other, regardless of size.

I carry 2 markers in my right pocket when I play.  One is a poker ship type (I have several as souvenirs from various courses), and the other is a smaller metal one - most recently using one from The Old Works Course in Montana.  I use the small one when I can tell that I'm close to someone's line or somewhere near the hole.  In either case, I'll move it or putt out first if asked.

I really don't understand how anyone can be distracted or distressed just because of the size or visibility of another player's ball marker.  I sort of like having a visible ball marker near my line to help as an aiming device.  Not to hit it, but to set my line at, say 4" right of the spot for example.  The more visible it is, the better.  

Why not just always use the smaller one?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, jamo said:

Because it's easier to see the big one, easier to find it again after I walk away to tend the flagstick or for whatever other reason I might leave the general area where my ball is.  I've actually had trouble finding a penny or a dime in the past on a large green.  I see no reason why anyone should care what I use to mark my ball as long as it isn't unreasonable.  Since they sell the poker chip type markers in most golf shops these days, I see no reason not to use one if I want to.  It's also easier to dig out of my pocket than a dime is.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

12 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

I normally have a larger coin and a smaller one in my pocket and use the smaller one if I'm close to the hole. I like to use foreign currency since its something that people don't often use.  Right now my coin of choice is the Danish Kroner.

g796.jpg

I always just use a quarter and a dime in the same way. 

On 9/13/2017 at 5:41 AM, iceman777 said:

Is there any rule regarding what can be used for a marker, or the size of a marker ? I recently played with someone whose marker was the size of a bag tag. I don't like to even use a quarter , thinking its too big and would interfere with the ball's direction, if the ball passed over it . I try to use a dime if I dont have a "traditional" pro shop type marker . Of course , as a senior , its no fun when I cant find that dime on the green  . LOL

Garish markers annoy me for some reason.  It's become a pet peeve that I have to deal with almost every round.  Most players in Japan use large poker chip size markers.  I have several myself but use a typical plastic pro shop marker I keep stuck in the end hole of my putter grip. 

The peg helps get it deeper.  I think the plastic markers are better than a coin but I always have to push down the grass from the little holes they make.

On 9/18/2017 at 7:19 AM, jamo said:

I like a bigger marker for longer putts because I can read my putt from the other side of the hole without having to put my ball down. That is a help when someone else is away but in the interest of speeding up play I try to get a read on my putt while they do the same. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 2407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!