IGNORED

which club is more difficult for you?

Hacker James
Note: This thread is 2374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recently, I've been struggling with my three metal. I  went with a softer shaft and adjusted the loft to 16* and that has helped. I think my problem is I'm trying to sweep the ball and today's fairways are designed to be played with a more descending angle of approach.

5 hours ago, nevets88 said:

For me, difficulty is directly proportional to length.

Of course. Same here and I thought all of was would give an unanimous 

THE DRIVER !

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Interestingly, it's my 3w off the tee.  Not sure why, but I tend to get steep with it.  It's just fine off the deck...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I gave up the clubs I could not hit over the last few years which include the 3w, and 2i thru 6i, all replaced with hybrids which i can hit fairly well.  I will vote the SW when not in the sand - A full swing can be 40 - 75 yards (user error of course).  

Edited by NJpatbee
typo

15 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Same for me as well, with the exceptions being that hybrids are easier to hit than irons. Anything longer than a 6I can be a crapshoot.

I pulled my 4H because I'm inconsistent with it but I'm absolute garbage with my 4I so I'm probably putting it back.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

One observation I am making is that a lot of people (including me) seem to have trouble with low lofted irons 2-6 and are opting to go the hybrid route. I had not really hit hybrids before the last two years or so and before that, could use the 3I and 4I half way decent.  I have lost a LOT of distance over the past 18 months and started using the hybrids which helped a lot.

In practice sessions at home, I can hit a 4 iron with little difficulty, but out on the course I am hesitant to try it. I am starting to believe that maybe I should start using those low lofted irons and gain confidence back.  I dunno....age and time are taking their tolls and I am having to recalibrate distances.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I've been hot and cold this season with fairway woods. Some days I will hit them solidly, other days its low, hot shots that go maybe 160 yards... Related to gauging in set-up shere swing will bottom out. Particularly aggravating: If I have a solid drive on a Par 5 from an elevated tee, I end up only 200 yards from the green. Then, I flub the FW shot.

SW from greenside bunkers also a problem. Practice bunkers at course that don't drain well, plus they fall under sprinkler arc. Sometimes I go down to ninth green late in day to practice off of dry sand. I tend to have good weeks and bad weeks from bunker.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

15 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

One observation I am making is that a lot of people (including me) seem to have trouble with low lofted irons 2-6 and are opting to go the hybrid route. I had not really hit hybrids before the last two years or so and before that, could use the 3I and 4I half way decent.  I have lost a LOT of distance over the past 18 months and started using the hybrids which helped a lot.

In practice sessions at home, I can hit a 4 iron with little difficulty, but out on the course I am hesitant to try it. I am starting to believe that maybe I should start using those low lofted irons and gain confidence back.  I dunno....age and time are taking their tolls and I am having to recalibrate distances.

Some where above I posted about my poor 5W issues. However, I have an old 2i that works quite well for me. It just works with my swing. 

I have gone through that older age, distance loss scenario. Still going through it. I will tack on another birthday next month. More candles equals less yards, and more strokes. Still using the same old swing. Just using different clubs. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

(edited)

@Patch  on the age/distance thing, it becomes exponentially more prevalent after age 70.  I am learning to overcome and improvise, but the "body won't do what the mind recalls" thing is a matter of acceptance I guess.   I will break 80 again, but time is running out. I've come close twice this year.   75 yrs and counting....  now where did I hide that four iron?....

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

18 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Another +1 here.  My exception is the driver which I’d say is about the same difficulty as 6 iron.  That puts 3 wood as the #1 handicap.

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

@Patch  on the age/distance thing, it becomes exponentially more prevalent after age 70.  I am learning to overcome and improvise, but the "body won't do what the mind recalls" thing is a matter of acceptance I guess.   I will break 80 again, but time is running out. I've come close twice this year.   75 yrs and counting....  now where did I hide that four iron?....

I want to live to be a 100 so I can shoot my age. :-P

80 +/-  is also my target score when I play. Some days are better than others. Better when I don't have to pull my 5W. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

22 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Same. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

6 iron is the most difficult for me.  It's the longest iron I carry.  I can't hit it at all.  It's baffling.  I wonder, what am I doing with the clubs that I can hit, that I am not doing with the 6 iron?  I'm going to have to get a lesson from a pro, because my efforts with my 6 iron are really pathetic. 

For me, besides the recent couple weeks of fit with the 3w and 5w and which seem to be fixed now, it's undoubtedly the 4 iron from the deck (anywhere but from the tee), even in a flat fairway lie.

For some reason, all my previous sets had a 4H and I decided to "try" a true 4i with my latest set, a year old now. I can hit it fine slightly teed up, but not with any kind of confidence from the ground...

In second place is a wedge with a full swing, whether the 56 or 60 or even the 50 gap wedge that's part of the iron set. I'll do 1/2 to 3/4, flighted down for the most part, and feel like a rank beginner if I attempt a full swing with them...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

30 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

For me, besides the recent couple weeks of fit with the 3w and 5w and which seem to be fixed now, it's undoubtedly the 4 iron from the deck (anywhere but from the tee), even in a flat fairway lie.

For some reason, all my previous sets had a 4H and I decided to "try" a true 4i with my latest set, a year old now. I can hit it fine slightly teed up, but not with any kind of confidence from the ground...

In second place is a wedge with a full swing, whether the 56 or 60 or even the 50 gap wedge that's part of the iron set. I'll do 1/2 to 3/4, flighted down for the most part, and feel like a rank beginner if I attempt a full swing with them...

You gotta realize that your 4 iron is like an old school 2 or 3 iron...like hitting a pinball with a moving brick wall...maybe firm your left wrist and drag it through the swing..delaying the release really until your left arm is parallel with your left thigh...

For me its 3W anywhere other then the Tee Box....no issues at all using it on the Tee but when needed in the fairway it's 50/50 for me,  I know it's a mental thing for me and this season I made it priority #1 to use it more and I have (and with better results) but still not the club of choice in a serious round  lol

3 wood off the turf, and lob wedge. I have never hit a mediocre shot with a lob wedge. It's either good, or terrible. The 3wood is good off the tee, but the 5wood is my choice off the turf.

Note: This thread is 2374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!