IGNORED

Vintage Equipment Event for the PGA Tour?

Jack Watson
Note: This thread is 2325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Would you watch a vintage equipment required PGA event?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

For one event, yes.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe as an Exhibition Event during the winter season.
I doubt many players would be willing to participate.
There's no money to support Vintage equipment for starters, not to mention an paying audience.
I doubt the PGA would pay or foot the bill for TV cost, or find sponsors willing.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

What a great way to screw up their real game.  I'd be surprised if any players had much interest at all in playing such an event.  Well, maybe some low tier guys would play, knowing that top players would avoid it.

If you want, you can find reruns of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf on TGC just about every week...

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

57 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

For one event, yes.

I agree.

I think some of the younger guys would be up for it, like Fowler and JThomas.

Colin P.

• Administrator

I'd watch. So would many others here, but we're so dedicated we're here talking about golf on a forum. The casual golfer probably wouldn't care.

But it won't really ever happen. Not in any "volume." Totally counter-productive to the players. The good ones like the status quo, the bad ones nobody cares to watch.

And time spent "prepping for" or "learning" the "vintage" gear is time not getting better at the way golf is actually played in the 21st century.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to Vintage Equipment Event for the PGA Tour?

That's a point! I'd enjoy watching today's players trying to hand hickory shafted clubs and featheries, or even Gutta Perchas! That would be all kinds of fun! But I don't think you'd get too many at the top of the money list to sign up.

Yes I'd watch because it would be interesting to see but I disagree the pros would love it, especially the medium to short hitters. They certainly wouldn't the love the prep of having to figure out the different equipment. If they had an event like that I don't think many of the top players would play, it's a lot of adjusting for not much reward. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I voted "don't care" but I'd probably watch a little bit. Probably not even a whole day, certainly not a whole tournament.

As others have mentioned, this event wouldn't attract the best players and the players who would play aren't geared towards the equipment they'd be using, so you're not even getting a good example of what a tour player today could do with vintage equipment.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

It’s just more of the, “I just won’t admit this game is incredibly hard” nonsense to me. “Oh yeah? Well let’s see these pros who think they’re so good hit ‘real gear’.” It’s all nonsense. They’re that good. Period. @Jack Watson, you’re not. Whether it be hickory or space age titanium. Let it go. You’ll never ‘figure golf out.” Ok sorry. I’m done.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I voted "no". Reason being there is/are sanctioned events and tours (e.g. Michigan Hickory Tour) and some are even shown on Sky Sports. They even have the Trilby Tour. This is a real amateur tour where the main stipulation is that you have to wear a trilby hat (i kid you not).

Like many have said, the tech is soooooo different that it is more likely to be detrimental to their regular game that anything other than 9 holes or so for charity or exhibition wouldnt be worth it for them.

That being said, some older pro's have switched largely to hickory golf with a lot of success. Sandy Lyle for instance won the hickory World Golf Open in 2014 and 2016. Still plays modern gear but in interviews says he enjoys the old stuff more.

Difference is that Sandy isn't competing at the very top of the sport these days.

• Informative 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

For some reason most think that it would be stone age.      I  hit many 300 yd Drives in my time with Persimmon and Balata, today that combo feels like Mush, but in the day it was great.    The sound and feel was great off the Driver and not the tinny sound of today but a solid Thwack.      The Irons weren't much different with the big change coming with PINGs design and of course todays string lofts.    My Eye2 PW was 50 degrees, my Wilson C200 today is 44 degrees.     The game name is distance.     But Wood was not that bad.

Yes, I’d watch and think it would fun/interesting to see (and do myself, frankly). I agree with others, maybe as an off season or one round (or 9 hole round) prior to a bigger event type of thing (similar to the Par 3 at the Masters)

They tried this concept on the Professional Bowlers Tour, and it was a huge hit with players and fans.  It would be a cool change-of-pace.  I always liked the week they used the modified stableford scoring system too.  Not something for every week, but one week a season isn't going to mess up anyone's game.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

• Administrator
5 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

They tried this concept on the Professional Bowlers Tour, and it was a huge hit with players and fans.  It would be a cool change-of-pace.  I always liked the week they used the modified stableford scoring system too.  Not something for every week, but one week a season isn't going to mess up anyone's game.

Big difference between modifying the scoring system and changing the equipment.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It could maybe be fun as a silly season event. I'm not sure I'd actually watch because I don't watch silly season events as they are now, but it would definitely be interesting to read about.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 2325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!