IGNORED

Do You Play the Correct Tees?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Correct Tees?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Per the chart in the first post, do you typically play the "correct tees" for your driver carry yardage?

• Yes, I do.
    • No, I play shorter tees.
    • No, I play longer tees.
  2. 2. In your estimation, what percentage of golfers play tees too long for them?

• 0-15%
    • 16-30%
    • 31-50%
    • 51-70%
    • 71-85%
    • 86-100%

1 hour ago, cutchemist42 said:

Thats an interesting way to view it, never thought of truly WHERE the extra yards are coming from.

For my future course when I move (I've played it before)  I'll be playing the Blues.

http://www.dakotadunes.ca/wp-content/uploads/ScorecardInside.jpg

Yard increase will be fairly uniform for par3s which I like. Main difference being 50/80 yards added to 2 par4s.

Yeah I like that way more. Make 1 par 3 way harder (7i to 4i or 19˚ for me), some others maybe one club more, and then make a couple of the 4s and 5s a lot more challenging, while keeping some of them the same.  Creates more variety in the holes.

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

Lots of courses around here where the Par 3's at 6200 yards might be:  120, 150, 160, and 205

yet the 6600+ would line up as:  185, 185, 190, 210

(:-D  yes, I realize I'm admitting I sometimes choose which tees I play based on how badly they might make me whine about the holes.....)

Exactly.  I've even played some courses where the par 3s from the shorter tees would be 4 different clubs, then from the longer tees it's 200, 204, 205, 215.  I've seen that poor course design from shorter tees too, though less frequently, where it's something like 3 9i holes plus one other.

• Like 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Missouri Swede said:

But isn't that the point?  That is a reason they shouldn't be playing those tees.

It drives me nuts because they are taking too long not because they can't carry the hazard.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I'm answering this for only the long courses.  It doesn't make sense to me to include short courses where I can't even decide to play "too long" tee boxes.  I mostly play a short executive course that is about 3,100.  2nd most often course is Torrey Pines which both courses are long.  So this is pretty much about when I play Torrey.

I choose 71 to 85% play from tee boxes that are too long based on the chart.   I choose that I usual play tees that are too long. 

I usually play from the white tees (= green tees on Torrey North 6,346, there are five tee boxes, the greens are the middle ones), I carry about 210 with driver, roll out to 230 to 250. I'm longer than the majority of the people I play with who usually want to play the same tee boxes.

I don't agree with the tee box chart.  So what if I have to hit 3 hybrid after a really good drive to reach the longest par four.  Why is that a problem?  (I still play almost always faster than the course pace, walking)

Edited by No Mulligans

The tee box distances are mostly for pace of play, so if you’re fast anyway no one will say anything.

The only thing is your scores could suffer a bit. I wonder if there’s a study that includes driving distance and GIR? Indirectly, we can look at handicap vs driving distance and handicap versus GIR but I didn’t find anything so far. 

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

17 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I have told this story before on here but on the Bear Course at the Grand Traverse Resort in Michigan you couldn't play the back tees unless you could prove your handicap was low enough. Even then the starter watched me hit my first tee shot before he let me play them. I don't know if they still do that, but it was nice to see at the time. On a separate note, that course was tough as nails from those tees, and anyone short of a long hitting scratch golfer had no business on them. Hell, I probably had no business on them myself.

I talked to a co-worker who plays that course. Apparently they still enforce the policy. He said the fairways are wide but the greens are smaller and very difficult.

I'd like to play that course some day but even the white tees look too difficult for my game.

5a1d431eb11d0_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_59_32AM.thumb.png.e6eec8c55381039946f489b65bdeadeb.png

Jon

Great topic guys! Everyone that is male in the state of OH plays from the tips it feels like sometimes... I really think if we could get people to play based on handicap or carry distance (of course everyone claims to drive 300 yards too) it was greatly help pace of play. 

Somehow the red tees became “ladies tees” and I think that can be a huge problem in Time it takes to play a round! 

12 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

I talked to a co-worker who plays that course. Apparently they still enforce the policy. He said the fairways are wide but the greens are smaller and very difficult.

I'd like to play that course some day but even the white tees look too difficult for my game.

5a1d431eb11d0_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_59_32AM.thumb.png.e6eec8c55381039946f489b65bdeadeb.png

Yellow/White or Yellow look playable by a higher handicap.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

12 minutes ago, clutchshot said:

Somehow the red tees became “ladies tees” and I think that can be a huge problem in Time it takes to play a round! 

I think the "Ladies Tees" title on the scorecard is a big problem.   One course I play often has 4 sets of tees: blue, black, white, and red, with the red being the ladies tees, and lots of us older gents play from the whites.  But on the other course I play often, there are 3 sets of tees, Blue, white, and red/black, with red/black being the combined senior/ladies tees,and none of the men seem to want to play from those tees. 

I know it's just ego, but men, even senior men, don't want to play from the ladies' tees.  

Another problem is when they do have separate forward (or senior) tees and ladies' tees, but they put the senior tees so far forward it's ridiculous.  Sometimes there's 100 yards between the 2nd set of tees and the 3rd set of tees.  I've played courses where we started out playing what they call the senior tees, and by the 3rd hole we are saying, this is ridiculous, these tees are for the 90 year olds, let's move back.  There has to be some even spacing between the sets of tees. 

Edited by Marty2019

I voted yes, regarding using the correct tees.  I play anywhere between 5700-6100 yards regularly.  As for the chart, my driver yardages line up with white, but all my other clubs tend to line up with purple.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

4 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Its a typical Nicklaus course, his courses tend to be forgiving off the tee but demanding into the green. He also seems to put a premium on being on the correct side of the fairway. I have really enjoyed every Nicklaus course I have ever played and the Bear was no exception. Probably the toughest of his courses I have played, but its very fair. I played really well and shot in the high 70's.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I guess by that chart i play the correct tees. But i don't think raw distance is the only determiner. I played with a older local pga pro in the state open years back (bill britton i think his name was) and that dude barley hit the ball 250 with a driver. I was driving the ball 25 or more yards past him on every driver hole and he still crushed me by 15 shots on a 7100 yard course. Think he was 2 or 3 under after 36. Guy was stinging hybrids and 5 woods like they were 9 irons...

It's interesting that according to the polls, 85% on this site believe that they play tees that are appropriate, or even shorter than they should...

...but over 90% believe that between 30% and 100% of other golfers play tees that are too long for them.

;-)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I voted "yes" for Q1, and "31-50%" for Q2.

I'm a high-purple to low-red on the distance chart.  At my home club, I typically play down just a little relative to what's on the chart -- my tees are right around 6,000yds.  I do this because our course is very narrow, with deep bermuda rough, and very tough around the greens; so the back tees (6500-6600yds) are too much for me at this particular course.  We do have combo tees that play ~6275ish, which is right in my preferred range; sometimes I play those, but mostly I just keep it simple.

When playing other courses, I look for tees in the 6250-6300 range.  Anything below 6100 feels way too short (too many wedge approaches on p4s).  I've played up to 6650 and scored well -- just need the course to not be overly penal with width, forced carries, etc.  Anything over that is just too much for my current skill level.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

17 minutes ago, David in FL said:

It's interesting that according to the polls, 85% on this site believe that they play tees that are appropriate, or even shorter than they should...

...but over 90% believe that between 30% and 100% of other golfers play tees that are too long for them.

;-)

I think most people on this site are more aware of their actual distances so are more reluctant to play tees that they know are too long for them. 

I think the people on this site that voted for other golfers playing tees that are too long for them probably have a similar reason that I have as to why I think the majority of golfers play from tees that are too long:

Since it seems like the majority of golfers overestimate the distance they actually hit each club, its not surprising that they also choose longer tees to correspond to that inflated distance. 

Example, if you're playing with someone who says they consistently carry it 280, but in reality only 1 drive per round goes that far, then since that golfer truly believes he drives 280, they think they should be playing 7000+ yard tees, where in reality they are probably more suited for 6500 yds

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

20 minutes ago, David in FL said:

;-)

I attribute this to the fact that people on this site are more educated about playing it forward, since we were repeatedly told to do so by people such as yourself. :-D

Seriously though, most of the people I know do play the correct tees, but often times random people I get paired with almost never hit a green because they're too far. I carry a bit less than 260 if the shot doesn't hit a tree first, but often play 6000-6400 yards because my current skill level kind of demands that I do. Most of my playing partners play there to keep me company, but they also like playing there.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Kind of an interesting answer for me.  I voted that I play the correct tees, but that is not necessarily true.  But, I felt like the questions were geared towards whether or not you are playing from tees too long for you.  

I carry the ball, with my Driver, about 250-260.   Rolling out to about 260-275.   But I typically play 6100-6400 yard tees.  

I may have the driver distance to play at 6800, but too many other parts of my game (specifically accuracy and consistency with long irons), holds me back from being comfortable at those yardages.   
If I can't hold a handicap under 8, i feel I have no business moving my tees back.  

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I´m currently hitting 260 yards carry. (15/20 roll). So i´m in the middle of Red and PGA Tour tees. I should play 7100 yard courses but the back tees of my home course are just 6550 yards. I almost reach in 2 all the par 5 and hit a lot of Driver / Wedge on many par 4´s. I only play longer courses on national championships 10 times a year. That´s where i suffer hitting long irons to greens on Par 3/4.

Voted Shorter and 80%

I voted yes on the first one.

I am between white and purple. The two courses I play most often are 5959 and 6338 on the card from the tees I use, but the markers aren't usually at the full yardage. The longer course is fairly open and plays a little shorter than the card indicates.

The longer course is a college course, and I see a lot of young guys  playing from the tips (7035 yards) that shouldn't. Oh to be young again!!!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 1140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!