IGNORED

The Great Debate. Lob or Run?

wakefield724
Note: This thread is 2271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

29 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

So you’re 50’ from the pin 15’ from the from. Greens are not too fast and fairly flat. Are you lobbing it or chip and running? 

Depends on if I'm in the fairway or in the rough. 

50 feet to the hole with 12 yards of green to work with, sounds like a 9-iron chip and run to me... That far off the green I might take a 3 or 4 iron and use my putting stroke, or 3-wood or putter. With a shot like that I want it on the ground as soon as I possibly can get it there.

Greens are sloped one way or another mostly for drainage, so your fairly flat green is an okay preface.

• Like 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What’s between me and the front of the green? That would dictate everything. If it’s rough or a bunker? Is it a very tight fairway that I could run it up with a bump and run type play? Too many questions to give a sure answer. Lob (more like pitch) if I need to and keep it low if I can. 

First thing I ask is, can I put this?

Then I probably pick out my 52 or 56 degree wedge and pitch it (not lob it).

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I "lob" it only when that's the only viable option.  As you say, the green isn't severely contoured and not too fast, I'd probably use something like a 9-iron or PW to carry it to the green and let it run from there.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Vague description, a pic or diagram and more info would help.

Sounds like it is a huge green.

If I am going over something, I would do a flop shot.

If it's all flat then a bump n run would be in order.

If it's pitched, I would chip it and hope for a check or a lil back spin.

Edited by Vinny Cap

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Assuming light rough or fairway, low pitch and run.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Like others have said it depends on what is between me and the green, but I would probably use my 60 degree and pitch it. 

In my mind a "lob" that close to the green is opening up the face, swinging hard, basically a flop shot.

I wouldnt do that, but I'd still probably use my 60 degree unless its very flat all the way to the edge of the green and im on a tightly mowed fairway, then I'd use a PW or GW and bump and run.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Assuming I can't putt,  have a good lie, and no problems between that lie, and the hole, I will most likely chip it on a flatter green. (per the OP's discription) I say most likely because that is the safer bet for most golfers. 

I think most amateurs practice chips more so, than lobs.

Now here's the deal. I am a really good lobber of the ball. I love to hit lobs. I am kind of a natural with this shot. I have played whole rounds using only lobs.

Some days, lobs just work better. It's a toss up for me . 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Depends on the lie.

If its really tight I might use an 8,9 or PW and try for mostly run. If its fairway but not too tight, maybe a pitch with a 52 for probably 60% air and 40% run out. If the lie permits or dictates, I would use my 56 and go for about 75-80% air- not a lob more of a pitch, hop, and a little roll out. The 56 is my default club these days, I hit that shot or some variation of it whenever I can; I love that club.

I work on lobs, flops, occasionally, but generally only use them as a last resort, other than a short lob over something

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Did you mean 50' from the pin, and 15' from the front of the green? If the green is elevated I will use a wedge, if the green is flat I will use a 9-iron. From the rough definitely using a wedge because the ball will release... From the fairway you can be more aggressive w/ the 9-iron as the ball will spin.

If by lob you mean pitch, I pitch at 40, 50, 60 yards. Anything close I chip. The flop I only use to get over bunkers and only with a nice fluffy lie.

I don't know.  I might putt, chip, pitch, or play it like a bunker shot...whatever seems, at the time, to offer the greatest chance of success.  I'd also take into account (assuming I didn't hole out) what kind of challenge I might be setting myself up for on the next one.  That being said; if the conditions permit (relatively flat and firm) I'd pitch with an open P wedge.  That's the shot that most closely mimics my imagination.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Neither, I'd pitch it. Though I'll echo what others have said: there's not enought information to know for certain the exact shot ill play.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Kinda vague description, but run of the mill lie and no lake or something in front, Im pulling a 8i or 9i and Im running that shit. The sooner the ball is on the ground, the better. Especially on a flat green. No brainer, IMO. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

I would use a PW and carry about 60% and then roll towards the pin.  I have a 60* lob wedge in my basement which is still being punished since the late 90's. 

I saw this earlier, and thought of this thread.

"A lob shot, (aka) a flop shot, is a pitch shot, where the ball takes a higher trajectory to the target". 

I think I now know, the true meaning of golf. :whistle:   smh.......

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!