IGNORED

Lexi and Another Rules Issue (Moving an Immovable Obstruction)

dbuck
Note: This thread is 2242 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Evidently,  Lexi had another rules mistake at the Honda Thailand. An advertising sign interfered with her shot, and she moved it, thinking it was a movable obstruction. The additional rules for the tournament specifically defined signs as temporary immovable obstructions. I don't think this was intentional; unless she had an exceptional lie, she would have probably been better off with a drop.

Fortunately, she was notified in the scorer's tent and signed for a 68 instead of a 66, so no incorrect scorecard.

I really like Lexi, think she is great for womens' golf, and want her to succeed. We all make mistakes, but this one seems really avoidable. I hope she will up her rules game to match her athletic talent.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Link to an article about this: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/lexi-thompson-involved-in-rules-issue-at-the-honda-lpga-thailand

Seems pretty dumb but innocuous. Read the local rules. That goes for her and her caddie.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

It makes me wonder if she is absent minded on purpose.

It's not too difficult to ask a rules official. They are out there for a reason.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Makes me wonder why the local rule was put in place? I can't think of another reason other than they're catering to the sponsors rather than the players?

Colin P.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Makes me wonder why the local rule was put in place? I can't think of another reason other than they're catering to the sponsors rather than the players?

The sponsors pay for the tournament.

And if the signs don’t move they’re in the same place for everyone.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

The sponsors pay for the tournament.

And if the signs don’t move they’re in the same place for everyone.

Agreed, but the sponsors are there because the players are an attractive investment for their product signage. We can go around in circles on this, it seems to be a non-USA thing, I can imagine it happening on the euro tour with all their signs everywhere.

Colin P.

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

It makes me wonder if she is absent minded on purpose.

It's not too difficult to ask a rules official. They are out there for a reason.

why would she be absent minded on purpose? she cost herself two strokes. I'll agree that perhaps she needs to study the rule book a little more, but I don't think she would do this kind of stuff on purpose. She's been playing pro golf for, what, seven years? Two incidents in seven years is pretty low, especially for someone who is in the spotlight constantly. 

• Like 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

She seems to be going through what many young people do when they find themselves showered with fame and attention. It's distracting, puts extra pressure on, and takes them out of their natural element a bit. They lose just a small bit of focus and that's enough to allow for things like this to happen. 

- Mark

Meh - she earned those two strokes.  If that last year taught her anything......is just ASK an official for anything that's not "walk up and hit it" (even if she and the caddie are certain of the rule)

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

53 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

why would she be absent minded on purpose? she cost herself two strokes. I'll agree that perhaps she needs to study the rule book a little more, but I don't think she would do this kind of stuff on purpose. She's been playing pro golf for, what, seven years? Two incidents in seven years is pretty low, especially for someone who is in the spotlight constantly. 

Further, this one doesn’t even qualify as an “incident” except for the fact that she had the previous one.

The exact same thing happened with Tiger and his “questionable” drop at the Players that one year.  Because he had a couple rules incidents recently and because some announcer with zero frame of reference made a comment on tv, a molehill turned into a mountain.

2 hours ago, dbuck said:

I really like Lexi, think she is great for womens' golf, and want her to succeed.

I know this is off topic, and I apologize for that, but I am curious.  Why do you say Lexi is great for women's golf? 

• iacas changed the title to Lexi and Another Rules Issue (Moving an Immovable Obstruction)
5 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

I know this is off topic, and I apologize for that, but I am curious.  Why do you say Lexi is great for women's golf? 

Not directed at me, but I'll answer for myself

She's  kinda cute,  great body, she hits it a mile, and she's American.

Colin P.

8 hours ago, colin007 said:

That's kind of my thought. I know these tournaments all depends upon sponsors, but one would hope that they wouldn't clovver (sorry those v's are supposed to be b's, my keyboard is acting up), up a course with signage so much that they would interfere with play!

Apparently Lexi is showing the brain power of DJ. I mean, come on....you just grab a sign and move it? Sorry, this is just dumb.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Lexi isn't the brightest bulb. Anytime it could be a rules violation ask. You already lost a major to it(although I personally think she was caught for cheating on purpose). 

Trollin' is the life

The Rules really ARE complicated, you actually have to READ them!!  This is the telling phrase, to me, from the article that @DeadMan linked:

At some LPGA events these signs are considered moveable obstructions, at others, they’re temporary immovable obstructions.

If you've read the rules over the last 4 or 5 years, you presumably should remember that the local rules aren't consistent regarding advertising signs.  That's a clue to dig those local rules out and check them before you move something.  Its simply a mistake, but a pretty bone-headed one in my view.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

8 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

Lexi isn't the brightest bulb. Anytime it could be a rules violation ask. You already lost a major to it(although I personally think she was caught for cheating on purpose). 

The coin placement indeed seemed intentional but what's so puzzling is that it was just a tap-in, not a four footer. I can't imagine what she stood to gain.

Re the signs, I get that the sponsors pay for the tourney but can't they simply place the sign back where it was after the shot? Why would they make them immovable obstructions?

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

I did the opposite in a league round a few years back. They had removable 150 yard marker poles. I thought I had to play around it. Nailed the sucker head on with a 7 iron, it cracked and my ball richocet 90 degrees left. I should have read the card that said it was a moveable obstruction. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2242 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!