IGNORED

2018 Masters Tournament Discussion Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 2211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 2018 Masters  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2018 Masters?

• Tiger
    • Jordan, Dustin, or Rory
    • Someone else in the OWGR Top 15
    • Someone not listed above
  2. 2. Where does Tiger finish?

• First
    • Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 20
    • Makes cut, nowhere near contention
    • MC

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Looking forward to future swing analysis of Reed. Comments on spinning lead foot?

We've already had some. I think he was in the video from Peter Kostis in the PK topic, perhaps…?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was reflecting on this year's tournament and was thinking that something was missing from the audio of the broadcasts. I couldn't exactly pinpoint what it was, and then all of a sudden it hit me. I did not hear anyone from the gallery (yeah, that's right, the gallery, - I HATE the term "Patrons") yelling "Baba Booey", "You da Man" and "Dilly-Dilly". And then, I recently read a post from somewhere that there is actually a printed list of prohibited words or phrases that's handed out to the various marshals and security personnel that if heard, will get anyone ejected from the grounds! To that I say a hearty, "Hear-Hear"!

So, as much as I dislike the overall prissyness and pretentiousness of the club, the total lack of bees swarming around the blooming flowers, or geese in the ponds (or geese crap on the fairways),  the only bird sounds heard being artificial, and the fact that as Don Imus used to say, that the whole place has enough chemicals poured on it to have contaminated the ground water for miles around, I applaud the powers that be of Augusta National. I now think that the marshals at all golf tournaments should be weaponized and anyone shouting any of those three phrases in particular can and should be shot!

As an aside, I heard Tiger Woods refer to the end location of a wayward shot when talking to an interviewer as, "the gallery". I thought the lady from CBS conducting the interview was going to have a nervous breakdown.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

Lets talk about the New chairman of Augusta Fred Ridley calling the people "fans" and not "patrons" in the Butler cabin yesterday. Which leads me to ask the question, is he in fact now the "former Chairman" of augusta national?

And also trying to steal Jim Nantz' shine during the interviews. Nantz looked like he was going to punch the dude in the face. :-$

• Administrator
1 minute ago, xrayvizhen said:

I was reflecting on this year's tournament and was thinking that something was missing from the audio of the broadcasts. I couldn't exactly pinpoint what it was, and then all of a sudden it hit me. I did not hear anyone from the gallery (yeah, that's right, the gallery, - I HATE the term "Patrons") yelling "Baba Booey", "You da Man" and "Dilly-Dilly". And then, I recently read a post from somewhere that there is actually a printed list of prohibited words or phrases that's handed out to the various marshals and security personnel that if heard, will get anyone ejected from the grounds! To that I say a hearty, "Hear-Hear"!

You never hear that at The Masters. This year that was not new.

2 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

and the fact that as Don Imus used to say, that the whole place has enough chemicals poured on it to have contaminated the ground water for miles around,

Imus should read up on things before he opens his mouth (or opened, I guess): https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB98650267594856710.

Officials at Augusta National say they don't deserve the bad rap and that critics simply haven't kept up with the modern day eco-friendly practices that the golf course has gradually put in place. The club doesn't deny spending a lot of time and money manicuring its course or picking the perfect season to showcase it. But officials do deny that the look is chemically contrived. Indeed, they say, with its soil laboratory, water recycling systems and weather radar (to avoid rain-caused chemical run-offs), Augusta National is practically on the cutting edge of golf-course environmentalism.

I've known some superintendents who were jealous of the Augusta budget, but they all said to a man how much of what they do is just WORK and not chemicals. Sure, they'll truck in some blooming plants and plant them days before… but that's work, not chemically inducing flowers to bloom.

"During a qualifying round prior to a tournament, according to sources close to the team, Reed hit a ball far into the rough. When he approached the spot, he found another ball sitting closer to the fairway, and was preparing to hit it when several of his teammates confronted him. Reed pleaded ignorance, but the other Georgia players were convinced he had been caught red-handed trying to cheat." 

I'm past this myself, for two reasons:

• Never really proven, and I know kids who don't like another kid can gang up and make allegations.
  • It was a long time ago. He's never even approached doing anything like this on the PGA Tour so far as I can tell.

My opinion would shift or change depending on either of those two statements being shown to be false, of course.

But yes, I was rooting for Reed yesterday. Not Rory.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

(yeah, that's right, the gallery, - I HATE the term "Patrons")

16 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

So, as much as I dislike the overall prissyness and pretentiousness of the club, the total lack of bees swarming around the blooming flowers, or geese in the ponds (or geese crap on the fairways),  the only bird sounds heard being artificial, and the fact that as Don Imus used to say, that the whole place has enough chemicals poured on it to have contaminated the ground water for miles around,

Why do you watch this tournament?

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I don't have any respect for someone who treats their family like shit. I'm sure Reed' s Dad afforded him golf and gave him a ton of opportunities as a youth. What parent wouldn't have concerns about someone marrying at 22 quickly? Then toss in how he treated his wife on TV when she was his caddy(don't mix business and blood pay a caddy you cheap skate) and nobody on tour really knows this aloof cocky dude. You also don't get kicked off a team for underage drinking sorry. 

Trollin' is the life

I was watching Golf Channel this morning, and they interviewed Reed's "performance coach", who just happens to be his former head coach at Augusta St. He talked about how after Reed "left" Georgia, he recruited him by telling him, "Come here and be a big fish in a small pond. You'll get the attention, help and coaching you need to succeed." The fact that he is still with Reed, while the former players there, who reportedly bashed and rooted against him while he led them to 2 National Championships, says more about them then it does about Patrick. He's gone on to great things, while they have done nothing since.

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

Really shocked that Rory didn't pull this one out. Reed shot -1. Rory only needed a 68 to catch him, and that was within his reach (as Spieth, Fowler, Casey, etc. showed us). I thought Rory was going to win it easily when he hit that second shot into 2. He had already made a good par 1 and that eagle seemed to be in the bag. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Rory makes that eagle and starts strutting around like he does.

The only negative from yesterday was that Reed was never really challenged that much after the first 2 holes. It was fun, but it wasn't that exciting because Reed had it locked down when he survived Rory's early punches. Rickie's late charge just forced Reed to make a par on the last hole. Not a given, but once Reed's in the fairway, he's odds on to make par.

Anyway, Reed played well. I understand why you would hate him, but I'm okay with him. Not a huge fan, but he's definitely entertaining and makes the PGA Tour more interesting. And, dude is just a grinder. He doesn't have nearly the talent of Rory, Jordan, probably even Rickie. But he has the willpower to face up to them.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Glad it came down to Reed and Fowler (once Rory fell off - the grand slam is just a great thing to see).

Both were the most likely (IMO) to be next for a major and I'm glad they had a shot and one of them got it.  (everyone else in the running already had one).

Really a fun Sunday to watch.

I called Rory's rounds.  Again:

• Rory plays like Rory "CAN" and he wins likely in a blowout.
  • In this cas....Rory plays like Rory has been lately, and he falls short due to one terrible round after two decent and one really good round.

It really not too far away, I think he gets it in the next 5 years even with the strengthening field.....

Next up for Grand slam opportunities - Phil and Jordan.....

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Wouldn't it be nice if only nice, humble but confident, uncomplicated, morally unambiguous, grateful but supremely talented guys won all the time? ..

Uhh, wait, what percentage of general population fits the description? :hmm:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vishal S.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

I don't have any respect for someone who treats their family like shit. I'm sure Reed' s Dad afforded him golf and gave him a ton of opportunities as a youth. What parent wouldn't have concerns about someone marrying at 22 quickly? Then toss in how he treated his wife on TV when she was his caddy(don't mix business and blood pay a caddy you cheap skate) and nobody on tour really knows this aloof cocky dude. You also don't get kicked off a team for underage drinking sorry. 

Nobody said that. It was three things:

• The initial alcohol thing.
  • The cheating allegation.
  • "Ryan details a second alcohol-related offense during Reed's freshman year, which hastened the end of his career at Georgia."

That's it.

On the family stuff, you don't know the other side of the story. Do you? His wife's family really seems to like him a lot. Defend him. Etc.

And it sounds like he's always been a loner, and maybe that's how he performs best.

10 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

The fact that he is still with Reed, while the former players there, who reportedly bashed and rooted against him while he led them to 2 National Championships, says more about them then it does about Patrick. He's gone on to great things, while they have done nothing since.

Also true.

7 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Wouldn't it be nice if only nice, humble but confident, uncomplicated, morally unambiguous, grateful but supremely talented guys won all the time? ..

Uhh, wait, what percentage of general population fits the description? :hmm:

Funny, but true.

I've said it a bunch: I like the non-robots over the robots. Even if occasionally someone is the heel and someone is the hero.

17 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

You also don't get kicked off a team for underage drinking sorry. 

Ummm, yes you do. It happens all the time in high school and certain colleges.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Crim said:

Ummm, yes you do. It happens all the time in high school and certain colleges.

Agreed, too: I will kick a kid off my team if he shows up slightly drunk even if he's 21.

He's not committed to giving his best performance if he's hung over.

He's hurting the team.

1 hour ago, Zeph said:

Here's an article explaining some of Reed's personal struggles: http://www.golf.com/knockdown/2018/04/08/masters-patrick-reed-estranged-family-complex-mix-emotions

There's been conflict in the family for quite a while now and by the sounds of it, it's a very delicate situation where Reed's wife and family in law are bashing Reed's parents. We don't know half of it just from articles of course, so we're in no position to point fingers to anyone, but it's a very unfortunate situation. I hope they get things resolved and can proceed without more drama.

Thanks for sharing. It reminds my of Aaron Roger's relationship with his family. We may never know the other side of the story.

53 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Lets talk about the New chairman of Augusta Fred Ridley calling the people "fans" and not "patrons" in the Butler cabin yesterday. Which leads me to ask the question, is he in fact now the "former Chairman" of augusta national?

And also trying to steal Jim Nantz' shine during the interviews. Nantz looked like he was going to punch the dude in the face. :-$

LOL! I thought the same thing!

I picture them all in a dark basement room wearing Master's Green cloaks, a small fire burning in the center of a circle. Ridley standing there in only Master's green boxer shorts.

"You have violated the sanctity of these hallowed grounds. You must now be punished."

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

39 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

First off, you have no idea how his family treated him. While he may have been afforded "golf and gave him a ton of opportunities as a youth", at what cost? If his allegations of abuse are true that would be grounds for removing them from his life.

On the other hand, maybe he created all this. Maybe he wasn't treated the way he wanted to and created this get back at his parents.

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/04/patrick-reed-family-parents-sister-hannah-feud/

Who knows.
What we do know is he played well. Well enough to win. He had a solid game all weekend and all drama aside he won a green jacket.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

"During a qualifying round prior to a tournament, according to sources close to the team, Reed hit a ball far into the rough. When he approached the spot, he found another ball sitting closer to the fairway, and was preparing to hit it when several of his teammates confronted him. Reed pleaded ignorance, but the other Georgia players were convinced he had been caught red-handed trying to cheat." 

I've never played under the scrutiny a top college golfer faces, but I've certainly hit the wrong ball before - accidentally. Roughly where I expected it to be, Titleist 2, yup that must be it. Someone on the other fairway shouted, "You hit my ball." My fault for not checking.

So perhaps he was careless. Didn't check to see if the ball he hit had his markings on it. And if people already dislike you, it's very easy for careless mistakes to turn into suspicions (or "convictions") that you've done something far more blameworthy.

9 minutes ago, Elmer said:

On the other hand, maybe he created all this. Maybe he wasn't treated the way he wanted to and created this get back at his parents.

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/04/patrick-reed-family-parents-sister-hannah-feud/

Hard to say with out witnessing what exactly went on. There are certainly situations were parents and family members feel like they are owed something for being a family member. Maybe this isn't the case here. Who knows. All I can judge Reed on is what is factually out there. Right now, this looks to be a he said, they said type of situation.

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!