IGNORED

What's your biggest problem in golf?

fredwest
Note: This thread is 2058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Chipping and pitching.  When I miss the green I am looking at a bogey at best as I can't seem to get anything close enough to give myself a realistic shot at making the putt.

Just can't seem to get my distance control down.

Consistency is my biggest problem, pretty much with everything except putting, but especially with the driver.  In a 9 hole scramble I might hit 1 or 2 solid drives, the rest just kind of flop out there.  I can get some solid shots with my woods and irons, just not quite as consistently as I would like, but more so than with my driver.  Basically, being relatively new to golf, I just need more time to practice.  My aim seems to be a problem at times too. :whistle:   

• :cleveland: Classic 270
  • :tmade: R580 3W, 5W, 7W
  • :nicklaus: Dual Point 3H, 4H
  • :nicklaus: IronMax Progressive 5i-9i
  • :cleveland: RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*
  • Teardrop TD-47 Putter

My wife and I are building a house, and I just don't having enough time to play or practice. It is incredibly frustrating. I'm still making birdies and hitting greens, but I'm shooting mid to high 90's because I'm also making so many doubles and triples, hitting OOB and getting lost ball penalties. The absolute worst part is I'm now shanking my chip shots.. and THAT is probably the most frustrating thing I have ever experienced in golf. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me it's just not simply being good enough yet.

I can play even for awhile, but eventually the difficulty gets to me in some way. Of course that's also what makes it fun!

With more practice, more changes and etc. it may not be so hard to maintain. Been a year since my last lesson, so I think I might be due another one.

Fractured my heal, not being able to play is the worst.  We only have so much nice weather and this year winter was incredibly long and brutal, now I sit and watch golf.

And one more thing, I just do not make enough 50' putts.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Practicing the correct way. Better recently,  not so good in the past. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Without question, losing a swing feel. Mostly the takeaway and backswing. The downswing just comes naturally. Recently I developed a problem where I lost at least 1/2 club in distance and like 20 yards off the tee. After tinkering I realized that my backswing had gotten a bit steep. Flattened it out and boom, distance back.

• Like 1

"Witty golf quote."

This season my biggest problem has been disastrous holes during a round. Almost all of my comp rounds have had a triple or a quad. Seems like I just seem to hit a really wayward shot (OB, lost ball, top or flub with a wedge!) and they cost me big.  

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 4:21 AM, Moxley said:

Probably what I call the 'red zone' for approach shots, although my personal 'red zone' is 150-200. At 150 (6 iron) i'm fairly confident on approach , but this rapidly tails off after this point. If I have 170+ to the green and there's a lot of trouble , I'll often lay up short of the bunkers and wedge on for GIR+1.

Yes. This is me as well.

My courses have a big white and black striped marker at 150. I stare at that post from the tee. Aim, fire and get real excited when the ball gets to it or past.

Quick lefts....like most, a consistency issue. Start of round, all well, fairways, greens, 2-putts. Usually, around the turn, one will get over-cooked and miss way left. The harder I try to fix, be it the swing issue itself or aiming further right and 'going with the flow', the further left of target the ball ends up and at this time of year a hook keeps running and running. Then come the 15th (or so) my score is gone and I'm free to play the last few in level/-1 par....😑

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Yes. This is me as well.

My courses have a big white and black striped marker at 150. I stare at that post from the tee. Aim, fire and get real excited when the ball gets to it or past.

Yeah, a big part of my tee strategy , I often play the hole backwards with this in mind, taking however much club and taking on whatever danger necessary (within reason) to make it there.

1 hour ago, Darth_Fader said:

Quick lefts....like most, a consistency issue. Start of round, all well, fairways, greens, 2-putts. Usually, around the turn, one will get over-cooked and miss way left. The harder I try to fix, be it the swing issue itself or aiming further right and 'going with the flow', the further left of target the ball ends up and at this time of year a hook keeps running and running. Then come the 15th (or so) my score is gone and I'm free to play the last few in level/-1 par....😑

Perhaps my other biggest problem too. Fortunately only affects woods and hybrids. If I'm hitting big hooks (whether snap hooks or big monster hooks) then it's going to be a difficult day with the big stick. In the end I've settled on getting a club I can't miss left with (Ping Crossover, 18 degrees) to revert to if I'm missing left and can't afford to. Sort of like my Plan B club, or a club I can pull out when missing left is going to mean stroke + distance. 

35 minutes ago, Moxley said:

I've settled on getting a club I can't miss left with (Ping Crossover, 18 degrees)

Nothing can stand in the way of my quick left, 130yd par 3, PW still ends up 25yds left of target...and a few yards lng for good measure, get plenty of short game practice in tho 😉 It's all timing I suspect, when it clicks I wouldn't think twice about it, just aim right side and fire. When it gets in my head I just get snatchier and it simply exaggerates the issue. Never owned a Ping club, that could change soon! 

I would say my biggest problem is my head, staying focused over 18  holes.  I suppose my age too, I'm 70+ but then that is what probably caused me to lose focus during the round.

Butch

Putting is my glaring weakness, but the biggest issue is still the full swing mechanics. When the swing is off, I lose a lot more strokes than when the putting is off. It makes golf both more difficult and unpleasant. 

On 6/27/2018 at 3:35 PM, nevets88 said:

Oh duh. Even worse. I suck at tracking the ball. Sucked at it when my eyesight was decent. Now losing more balls that land in front of me. I also hate not finding findable balls. 

The two can be related. If you're not tracking the ball well, you'll end up looking for it in the wrong places.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

46 minutes ago, billchao said:

Putting is my glaring weakness, but the biggest issue is still the full swing mechanics. When the swing is off, I lose a lot more strokes than when the putting is off. It makes golf both more difficult and unpleasant. 

The two can be related. If you're not tracking the ball well, you'll end up looking for it in the wrong places.

Finding balls is one of my strengths! :-P

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My biggest problem, the massive obstacle to my scoring below 80 on a regular basis, is an erratic driver.  It’s guaranteed to produce a few surprise doubles or triples each round. 

Edited by easyjay39402
Typo

Note: This thread is 2058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!