IGNORED

What tee to play from?

cnl390
Note: This thread is 1986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hooked up with a couple guys at Myrtle Nat'l on vacation a couple years ago. They wanted to play from the tips. I'm usually a white marker guy but agreed. The first guy topped his shot and the second pulled into the water left. The ranger pulled up and pointed the white markers, never said a word...lol.

Edited by Papa Steve 55

10 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

I hooked up with a couple guys at Myrtle Nat'l on vacation a couple years ago. They wanted to play from the tips. I'm usually a white marker guy but agreed. The first guy topped his shot and the second pulled into the water left. The ranger pulled up and pointed the white markers, never said a word...lol.

This is what I was thinking about concerning pace of play.  If playing from a tee that makes the hole a "long" par 3 or 4 for a player.  The player might, and probably will, swing harder than normal to try and get the ball either on the green (par 3) or far enough (par 4) to have the second shot within range make the green.  Sending the drive into the woods, heavy rough or out of bounds..

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

Unless you're a senior player, what tee or what length you play from has nothing to do with how far you hit the ball IMO. Ive played with guys who barley drive the ball 250 but shoot par or better on 7000 yard courses, and I've seen guys who can drive the ball 280 plus but shoot in the high 80's on a course 600 yards shorter. What tee you play from is more about your skill level than length. You as a 28 index should probably play forward tees until your game improves and you become a consistent mid-80s shooter. Anyone who cant break 85 or so and is playing from the tips is doing it for sheerly for ego. 

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

55 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

The first guy topped his shot and the second pulled into the water left. The ranger pulled up and pointed the white markers, never said a word...lol.

This is awesome.  And also the reason why I play the whites.  Depending on the length of the course, if I'm swinging well yeah I may have several wedges into greens, but there's no point in having my high and weak miss to the right leaving me hitting a hybrid into the green. I don't think I should be making the game harder for myself personally unless I'm a legit single digit handicap player. 

• Upvote 1

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, rehmwa said:

I like 6500 +/-200 as my 'zone' - it 'typically' keeps the Par 3's from being idiotically long, and usually gives a couple par 4's with longish irons on approach, but the rest decently scattered to my 8i or less - seems like par 5's then also tend to give me at least a chance to consider going for the greens in 2.

That's my zone as well.

• Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I was trained pretty well on etiquette by my father and grandfather. My first instinct is to play the white tees or the tees just back from the senior tees. I am early 50's, probably average between 240 and 250 off the tee (during the spring a little shorter, late summer often a lot longer on a bone hard course). On a little more than 25% of my rounds I score less than 80. Occasionally the group I happen to be with may want to play the blue tees and I go along with that and usually beat them all. I have an executive course that I play a lot and I went to the blue tees a few years back when I played it under par.

If and when I get to a 5 index or better I will consider moving back a tee, but my distance may start to wane before I get there. If I ever get to a 1 or 2 index I might consider playing from the tips to see what it is like.

Most golfers I witness no matter whether it is an inexpensive public course or a ritzy private one, play tees beyond their abilities. Most golfers are not as good as they think they are including me 😀It is refreshing to encounter, humble and skilled golfers.

Edited by Carl3

Course length typically has zero impact on my score, or if it does it's usually not more than 5 shots. The only thing that really matters is how tight a course is from a particular tee, and the problem is, most courses that are tight are tight no matter where you tee from. I think the real question is, what course rating should you be playing. I know I shouldn't probably play courses with a rating that makes the effective par over 72.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Based on the little chart in the other thread, I'm best suited to play from the golds (senior tees) at the old home course, which are well over 6,000 yards to begin with. Not very senior friendly IMHO. In casual play, that's normally what I do.

For the last couple years, when we get within a month of the club championship, I move back to the whites in an attempt to prepare since I'm 41. The difference is about 300-400 yards per course. This time the extra yardage was really wasn't as big an impact as it used to be on my scores. 

Sheer yardage isn't the be-all, end-all. It's probably better to think about it in terms of your opportunity to putt a birdie putt or, at least, save par on that particular course. If you can't get to the green in time, move it on up.

I enjoy the challenge of golf and like to play a yardage that (1) allows me the possibility of reaching every green in regulation, (2) requires me to use most of the clubs in my bag, and (3) serves up risk-reward decisions on most holes.

I’m 74, hit my tee shot, usually at about 75% effort,  200-220. 235 is possible, but it hurts my shoulders.  I find that 5,700-6,000 is a good zone. On the rare occasion that I score in the 70s, I feel pleased with myself.

Sometimes I move up to hit with the other geriatrics, but there isn’t much variety in the challenge among holes and it’s hard not to score in the 70s. It becomes a game of chipping and putting. Boring and fails to meet my 3 criteria for a challenging, fun golfing experience.

But that’s me, there are lots of ways to enjoy playing this great game!

• Like 1

I just looked at scorecards from my 3 most visited courses.  The "senior" tees average 5780.  The "men's" tees average 6273.  According to the other thread, I should be playing 6276......so playing the men's tees is where I "belong."  I have 2 distinct groups that I play with- my college buddies who are all 80-90 scorers (men's tees), and a group of guys who love to play, but typically shoot 90-105 (senior tees).  I have no issues with the 6300 yard tees, but it is kind of nice to move up every now and then.....let's face it- hitting 9i or a wedge into a par 4 is sometimes more fun than hitting a 6i or 7i.

Driver:  :titleist: TS2 10.5* 
3-Wood: :titleist: TS2 16.5*
Irons: :titleist: T300
Wedges: :vokey: SM7 58*
Putter:  :scotty_cameron: Phantom X 6 STR

My rule of thumb is to add together the length of your average drive and the length of your average 7-iron. Play from the tees at which about half the par 4s are that length or less.

I like to play from the forward tees occasionally. The low score I get is good for the soul.

• Upvote 1

Age 65, I play tees in the 5800 - 6000 length. Driver averaging 197yd this season and my 7 iron 125 yds.  I try to play to a length where I can reasonably expect to reach most holes in regulation assuming decent contact.

• Upvote 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

Usually the tees in front of the Tips.   Unless it's a really big course.   I try not to play over 6,800 or so.   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 8/21/2018 at 11:43 AM, Papa Steve 55 said:

I want this guy at my track. 

On 8/23/2018 at 3:31 PM, RWC said:

Age 65, I play tees in the 5800 - 6000 length. Driver averaging 197yd this season and my 7 iron 125 yds.  I try to play to a length where I can reasonably expect to reach most holes in regulation assuming decent contact.

Seems like you could drive further with a hybrid... 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

On 8/21/2018 at 5:21 PM, beaureed445 said:

I just looked at scorecards from my 3 most visited courses.  The "senior" tees average 5780.  The "men's" tees average 6273.  According to the other thread, I should be playing 6276......so playing the men's tees is where I "belong."  I have 2 distinct groups that I play with- my college buddies who are all 80-90 scorers (men's tees), and a group of guys who love to play, but typically shoot 90-105 (senior tees).  I have no issues with the 6300 yard tees, but it is kind of nice to move up every now and then.....let's face it- hitting 9i or a wedge into a par 4 is sometimes more fun than hitting a 6i or 7i.

It depends on your average driver distance usually. I've also heard you could multiply your 5-iron/hybrid by 36 and that's what yardage you should play. Hell I'm a 6.7 HDCP and I usually won't play the tips on courses longer than 6500 yards. I average around 250 off the tee. I will sometimes play the Senior tees when I play with this group of senior men I know. Occasionally I'll play the ladies tees (when I play with Becky, which is a couple times a year)

I think most men are too macho at times and don't think that they'll lose their Pro Vs in the shit. Be hitting 3-woods and hybrids into par-4s. Be hitting 5-irons for third shots on par-fives and still not reaching the green.

Here's a general guide of what tees to pick.

Par 3s: 5-iron / 9-iron within 2 clubs either way for each type is okay. So if on this nine holes you have one par-three that's 180 yards and one that's 140 yards. That might be 4-hybrid for the longer one and 7-iron for the shorter one. That's fine. But if your two par-3s are 220 and 175 and you have to hit Driver and 4-hybrid respectively... Move up a tee or perhaps two.

Par 4s: Driver / 1/2 SW or so

Driver/ 8-iron

Driver/ 6-iron

Driver/ 4-hybrid

Driver/ 3-hybrid or 5-wood

If you are hitting more than a 3h or 5w to any par-4 you are playing from to far back. Yes there are exceptions to this general rule. Occasionally you'll play a course with a very long par-4 that there is no way around (a lot of courses have rated combo courses where you play certain holes from one set of closer tees and others from next one back). 

Par-5s: Driver/ 3-wood (maybe on or close)/ 1/2 SW

Driver/ 3-wood/PW.

You should never play a par-5 that with 2 well executed shots leaves you with a full 8-iron or more for your third. So if you hit a decent drive say in my case 250 yards, my 4-wood averages about 220. So to fit the criteria my 2 par-5s should be in the low 500s and 590 max. Topography matters to but this is a generalization. 

To summarize: you're going to have courses with PW par-threes and 5-wood par-threes. You'll have a range of par-fours and a range of par-fives. 

Most of all golfers. Have fun out there. I don't care if you drive it 100 yards or 350 yards, golf is a beautiful game and is meant to be enjoyed by all. Whether you are 2 or 102, golf is a wonderful sport that non-golfers will never understand its beauty, anguish, love, tranquility, and passion. 

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Generally 6500-6900 yds.

Sometimes I will play combination of tees.  Play the back tee on short par 3/4's etc.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Age 66, slower swing speed, returning after 20 year break, so I play senior tees.  My son usually plays back further and while he usually beats me, we have the same fun factor.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

On 8/20/2018 at 12:08 PM, cnl390 said:

This could be a very easy question, or could open a can of worms.

How does one choose what is the correct tee to play from?  My buddies and I always play from the white tees (usually around 70/123 rating) and shoot between 97-115.

ROT Course length should be less than times 28 driving carry length and/or 36 times 5 iron carry.

I carry about 247 so I should play less than 6800 yards, which is pretty easy to do :-D

I play golf for a fun challenge and not to prove my manhood every single shot, so most of the time I’ll play 6000 yards 😊

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 1986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!