IGNORED

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

AltGolfer
Note: This thread is 1701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, klineka said:

I actually practice that shot and use it from time to time, most recently on the 14th at MidSouth in Pinehurst. From the tees we were playing the fairway ended at like 245 yds, and I wasn't feeling comfortable with my 3 wood at the time which would have been the club to use, so I choked down with a driver, did a 3/4 swing and an abbreviated finish and poked it out 239 which is about 20 yds shorter than my normal drives. http://www.gamegolf.com/player/klineka/round/2446979?hole_id=42372820

It's an inside joke. I also use a 3/4 driver swing frequently off the tee. I was telling @DaveP043 all about it when we played together last summer, then I topped the first one I attempted on the 14th hole.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm perfectly happy swinging 95-100 and getting 225-245 carry and 250-270 total. I'd say my average is around 250. I can muscle one further than that if I need to but why? I think jacked up iron lofts have hurt people's perceptions of how far they actually hit it. Of course people already thought they hit it further than they did before that but I remember hitting 7 irons from 150 with my MP's back in the day with people hitting their Burner 8-9 irons. They thought it was so weird I didn't want as much distance as I could possibly get. My main concern was never how far I hit clubs as much as it was can I hit the correct distance consistently regardless of the club.

8 hours ago, klineka said:

What mode of irons do you use? It's possible you got a "jumper"/ "Flyer" out of the rough, and if you have a more game improvement style iron, it's possible you hit one in the sweet spot which sent it jumping even further. It's also possible the wind wasn't as strong as you thought it was, if the course is surrounded by trees it's possible the wind up above the trees was different than what you were feeling on the ground.

Irons are Cleveland 588TT better player cavity back irons

the wind was pretty constant no trees around the green as a links-style course 

Yes I guess it could have been a flyer ..should have kept with my first choice club PW 

8 hours ago, klineka said:

Go Foxy Go

All the guys I know that hit it over 300 regularly are good golfers.   So there's definitely a correlation there. I don't know of many of them who struggle with accuracy any more than the next guy.  If a hole is tight they'll hit a 2-iron 240-265.  No big deal.

It's about impossible to generate 120+ mph without having worked at the game.

Yeah, I'm sure there are some monsters that can move a clubhead 120+ but more often than not advance the ball less than 200 yds ON AVERAGE.  Gotta count all the misses. This applies to the long drive pros as well.  Most of their shots are horrendous.

I really do hit it 300 yards and I still suck...

trackman data.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

My Bag
Driver:  
:tmade: M4,  3-Wood: :tmade: M2,  5-Wood  :tmade:  M3 

Irons: :titleist: 716 AP1 4-PW X-100 shafts

Wedges: :titleist: Vokey SM6 Jet black 50º, 54º & 58º

Putter: :tmade: Spider

Ball: :titleist: ProV1X

my mailbox is filled with replies to this thread every single day.  apparently this thread will never die.

ok kids...  if you wanna swing hard, you need to learn to swing.  the two biggest mistakes that whatever ya wanna call em…  non-experts, maybe...  make trying increase their clubhead speed, is trying to do it with their arms and their hands.

you cant do it with your arms.  listen to me.  i'm complicated.  the range of motion if your hands are together that you have using your shoulder muscles is about 90 degrees.  so...  that's 45 degrees on either side of the ball.  that's as far as you can swing the club with just using your awesome wonderful manly powerful shoulder muscles.

ok...  if you just drop the club from the top of your backwing and don't do anything...  the club will be swing faster already when it gets to 45 degrees behind the ball, than you can swing it with your awesome wonderful manly powerful shoulder muscles.  its like if you were coasting down a hill in your car at 60 miles an hour in neutral, and you decided to throw it in 2nd gear and punch it...  you will immediately be going 40 miles an hour.

as soon as you get your lats into it...  youre basically slamming on the breaks.  throwing it in gear and compression breaking.

now...   as soon as you decided youre gonna axe it with your awesome wrist hen...  I mean wrist cock...   youre gonna run into whatever.  its like the 2nd law of motion or something.  for every action theres going to be an equal and opposite reaction.  what that means is that as soon as you yank that clubhead with your hands...  your arms are gonna stop.  check it yourself.  you can actually feel your arms slow down when you try to beat that ball to death with your awesome manly powerful right hand crushing technique.  your arms are basically gonna just stop and then slowly follow through down your line as your fat ass swings around and forces em to keep moving.

stop doin that, idiots.  you swing the golf club like its a baby on a swing-set.  and you want to make that baby fly as far as friggin possible.  you have to SWING!!!!!!!!!!!!! the golf clup up into the air with your legs and hips.  and then, just like the baby on the swing-set...  you just let it come to a stop on its own somewhere up there at the top.  now.  if you just shove down on that swing right now...  the baby is going to get whiplash and fall off that swing right at the bottom.  boo!!!  boo!!!  that's not how you throw a baby!!!!

just like a swing set... you wanna boost it along right at the bottom.  you wanna time your weight shift so that swing set your babys on gets all that force right through the bottom of its arc.  just like youre swinging a golf club.   wait.  whatever.

and then the baby will FLY!!!! clear across the playground!!!!!

you have all swung on swing sets.  if you had an older brother, you've all flown across a playground!!!!

swing your club like its a rope...  and swing that rope like a man tryin to kill a baby!!!!

/end lesson.

/good luck.

9 minutes ago, flashypaws said:

ok...  if you just drop the club from the top of your backwing and don't do anything...  the club will be swing faster already when it gets to 45 degrees behind the ball, than you can swing it with your awesome wonderful manly powerful shoulder muscles. 

This has been experimented with and isn’t true. And what you’re saying doesn’t really make sense really. Completely passive arms move faster with just using the lower body?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

38 minutes ago, flashypaws said:

my mailbox is filled with replies to this thread every single day.  apparently this thread will never die.

You could just change your preferences at the top of the thread and unfollow it if you don't want to get notifications.

Or change your notification settings for the site to weekly. 

Please read the topic @Vinsk shared, a lot of what you stated simply isn't accurate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

49 minutes ago, flashypaws said:

if you just drop the club from the top of your backwing and don't do anything...  the club will be swing faster already when it gets to 45 degrees behind the ball, than you can swing it with your awesome wonderful manly powerful shoulder muscles.

Lol the force of gravity isn't that strong. My manly shoulders are overpowering it right now as I type.

Let's see, 9.8m/s^2 works out to something like 21.92mph/s, so without the aid of your muscles, the clubhead will reach 21.92mph after one second from gravity. Since the downswing usually lasts < 1s, I guess I'm doing most of the work. Thanks for nothing, gravity 😜

Or you know, if you do nothing but let the clubhead drop from the force of gravity at the top of the backswing, the club falls down behind you somewhere. Direction of force matters when you're talking about angular acceleration.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I’m going out on a limb here...and maybe unfairly, but I’m pretty certain @flashypaws isn’t going to care what science, data or what anyone says about this topic if it goes against his beliefs. I’m thinking he’s one of these types:

’You can’t reason someone out of a position who didn’t reason their way into it.’

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Math for the win... 

3 hours ago, billchao said:

Let's see, 9.8m/s^2 works out to something like 21.92mph/s, so without the aid of your muscles, the clubhead will reach 21.92mph after one second from gravity. Since the downswing usually lasts < 1s, I guess I'm doing most of the work. Thanks for nothing, gravity 😜

@flashypaws, you can go here to change your notification settings if you are worried about the number of emails 😉. Click on the following button at the top of the page. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 7.42.27 PM.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

@flashypaws, there is so much that is both factually incorrect and contradictory to the laws of physics (not to mention you meant Newton's 3rd law, not 2nd) in your post that I'm amazed you managed to get through the admittedly lackluster physics programs in the high schools of the United States or elsewhere without failing it miserably.

I recently found about 10 yds by rotating better, instead of using my arms as much.  Not sure if it affected my club speed ? I will have to check when I get a chance. I only wish club head speed correlated to hcap, lol. I took up this game in my 50's and am now 62. My driver ch speed is 105 and has been for quite some time but my biggest issue is consistency and direction. I regularly play with much better golfers and hit longer than them but it doesn't mean anything. I would give up some yards for more accuracy and consistency but trying to slow down my swing speed does not work well for me.

22 minutes ago, SteveH said:

I only wish club head speed correlated to hcap,

Generally it does. And unless you're spraying your drives ob then you shouldn't want to sacrifice distance for accuracy. In most circumstances hitting from the rough with 120 to the green is better than 145 from the fairway.

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Generally it does. And unless you're spraying your drives ob then you shouldn't want to sacrifice distance for accuracy. In most circumstances hitting from the rough with 120 to the green is better than 145 from the fairway.

Distance increases with lower handicaps because better ball striking leads to better shots but I think a lot of swing speed can just be pure ability.

I was a bad golfer with above average swing speed when I started and now I might be a few mph faster as a mediocre golfer. I'm not going to hit 120 if I play to scratch or anything. My distance, however, has increased as I've gotten better at ballstriking. 

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

theres different ways to create speed imo.  arc width is one, which usually happens from some of these country strong guys like brooks koepka who look like theyre swinging it fairly easy and don't appear to have a crazy amount of lag.  then guys like cameron champ who have basically cleared their hips completely the instant the backswing has started and it allows the club to whip through to catch up.  The club dropping behind you is an interesting one that i've actually seen some golfers do.  I have a hard time grasping how it's physically even possible, but if anyone is interested, brook henderson's swing is a great example of this and it's a sight to watch.  it's as if her hands are moving, but the club isnt.  Maybe someone with more technical knowledge than myself can explain this a little better, but I'm very fascinated by her swing and the crazy distance she hits it for being A. a girl, and B. only being 5'4

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

1 hour ago, downbylaw11 said:

theres different ways to create speed imo.  arc width is one, which usually happens from some of these country strong guys like brooks koepka who look like theyre swinging it fairly easy and don't appear to have a crazy amount of lag.  then guys like cameron champ who have basically cleared their hips completely the instant the backswing has started and it allows the club to whip through to catch up.  The club dropping behind you is an interesting one that i've actually seen some golfers do.  I have a hard time grasping how it's physically even possible, but if anyone is interested, brook henderson's swing is a great example of this and it's a sight to watch.  it's as if her hands are moving, but the club isnt.  Maybe someone with more technical knowledge than myself can explain this a little better, but I'm very fascinated by her swing and the crazy distance she hits it for being A. a girl, and B. only being 5'4

Start wearing capris and try to squat like that...ps ..if you are a lefty why wouldn't you pick a lefty golfer for sig pic? (are there lefty female golfers or did you like the green pants?)

Note: This thread is 1701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!