IGNORED

Overrated/Underrated (Golf) Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 1382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 3/12/2019 at 3:18 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Overrated/Underrated #19: Any of the "as seen on tv" golf clubs which shave strokes from your game. example: Square Strike Wedge, C3i wedge, GX-7 metal wood, etc.

Honestly, I'm not sure where the current 'rating' of these items stand to assess if they are over or under.  I've not met a single person that's used one, or anyone that takes the commercials seriously.

But, I have to assume that somewhere there are 3 or more people in the world that think these are the cat's meow - therefore, I'm going to state they are 'Overrated'.  All of them read as horribly executed sales/marketing and not the club at all.  Also low budget commercials too.  To get any club to work, you have to make good contact.  If you can do that with the gimmick club, you can do it with a regular club.  If you need a chipper, that's fine, but you don't need THAT chipper.  If you have issues out of the sand, probably you need to open the face more, you don't need that wedge, etc etc etc

HOWEVER - if these make someone happy or gives them an illusion (or real) benefit?  good for them.

• Like 1

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/12/2019 at 4:18 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Overrated/Underrated #19: Any of the "as seen on tv" golf clubs which shave strokes from your game. example: Square Strike Wedge, C3i wedge, GX-7 metal wood, etc.

I'd say overrated in the sense that they only do one thing that can be done with practice and better technique.  Then they're rendered useless by a more versatile club.

31 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

Underrated. If you haven't tried any of those types of clubs how could all you guys possibly know what they should be rated at...SMH.

My dad had that C3i wedge to use out of bunker shots.  I gave it a go for fun and it's clunky and basically useless outside of a bunker.  He even admitted that he'd only ever use it in bunkers because he didn't feel like practicing that shot.  Then he worked on his technique a bit and realized that he could use his normal sand wedge for the same thing as well as hitting full shots, partial swings, and pitches.  Now it's collecting dust in his garage.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

19 hours ago, rehmwa said:

Honestly, I'm not sure where the current 'rating' of these items stand to assess if they are over or under.  I've not met a single person that's used one, or anyone that takes the commercials seriously.

But, I have to assume that somewhere there are 3 or more people in the world that think these are the cat's meow - therefore, I'm going to state they are 'Overrated'.  All of them read as horribly executed sales/marketing and not the club at all.  Also low budget commercials too.  To get any club to work, you have to make good contact.  If you can do that with the gimmick club, you can do it with a regular club.  If you need a chipper, that's fine, but you don't need THAT chipper.  If you have issues out of the sand, probably you need to open the face more, you don't need that wedge, etc etc etc

HOWEVER - if these make someone happy or gives them an illusion (or real) benefit?  good for them.

This is what matters at the end of the day. Sure, a lot (or most) are money spinning products but if they work for a person who may otherwise quit the game then thats great. I'm sure a lot of the effect they have is psychological but thats sometimes all thats required.

To me, IMO, they are overrated as they just dont appeal to me and seem to be, quite frankly, a waste of hard earned money.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Of course we aren't talking about "The Hammer". Because we all know that's legit! BOOM! POW! BAM!

Another buddy bought one of those "miracle" lob and sand wedges. He couldn't hit it further than about 15-20 yards if he jumped out of his shoes! As it turns out he played in a golf outing that Summer that featured a skills challenge. One of the challenges was pitching out of deep depression to an elevated green, with the pin about 15 yards away. So, he jumped out of his shoes, won the challenge, and a flat screen TV! One of the first available! So there are times when they may be worth something. 

5 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

So there are times when they may be worth something. 

Of course. Like the totally common scenario your buddy had.

"Witty golf quote."

Holy crap, I just saw 2 new ads today. Each with a half hour infomercial. I saw the new Vixa V12 driver/fairway wood. Which, I'm not sure how it differs from any other 3 wood? Even after I actually watched the informational. 

And I saw the new S7K putter. Which stands up by itself. I think there have been one or two other putters out there which do that. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator
22 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

I miss this topic...so here is another one!

Underrated or Overrated #20 - Tiger chasing Sam Snead PGA Tour wins record

Overrated.

A bunch of Sam's 82 wins were bogus or pretty freaking uneventful. Count Tiger's HERO wins and he's already passed Snead.

It's just a way for media to put "Tiger" in the headlines as if he's still chasing something down, when the only thing he's really chasing is his own tail, or if you're still in the 18 > 15 camp, the number 18. Which has nothing to do with a regular PGA Tour event, hence the need to drum up excitement.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Thats an interesting one, because I think I remember seeing somewhere that Tiger is/was a person who wants to break all the records. So to him, it’s underrated maybe. I think the majority of media talks about it a lot whenever he wins or gets close to it but I wonder whether most people really care about that achievement. I’ll say overrated though. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

38 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Way overrated. Look at the list of Sam Snead's wins. There are a bunch of BS events in there. He probably has 20 events that are on par with the Hero World Challenge, at best. There are a few wins where he beat 16 or 4 people. Tiger has really already passed Snead, and if (when???) he gets to 83, it will be pretty meaningless for anybody who's looked at the wins underlying Snead's record.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, HJJ003 said:

Overrated - it's a very small facet of the entire story line of Tiger coming back, winning the Tour Championship, another Masters, and just about any other event he's playing in.  When he passes that rather arbitrary number (considering the comparison is apples to smiley faces) it'll be a footnote.

Bill - 

4 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

Underrated.  I think given the fields he competed against this is Tiger's most impressive accomplishment.  If you go back to before he got injured the last time and he had a career winning percentage of +30%, even more impressive.  So totally underrated in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Underrated or Overrated #21 - The Solheim Cup

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

49 minutes ago, iacas said:

With all due respect to Inkster...it’s overrated. The best lady golfers aren’t represented in this tournament. Viewership for the LPGA and this tournament aren’t low due to the audience thinking they don’t work hard, are lazy and not talented. They just don’t provide the wow factor we want in sports. This tournament was no different. Laying up, poor lag putting, playing it safe every single time even when down isn’t exciting to watch. Europe/USA vs Asia/Indonesia/South Africa.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Underrated.   It's just good golf.    I like golf team competition.

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

15 hours ago, iacas said:

I'll go with underrated as well, and agree with @dennyjones that team competitions are good to watch.  I was more interested in watching the Solheim Cup than I am for the President's Cup, I'll still watch it, but don't think it compares to the Ryder Cup or Solheim Cup in regards to intensity.

Gus
---------------

21 hours ago, iacas said:

For the average person I'd say it's underrated, and for those that follow women's golf I'd say it's overrated.

It's underrated for the average person because most people have never even heard of the event. It doesn't quite have the excitement of the Ryder Cup, but it's still a fun event with a great atmosphere (especially in person, I got to attend the 2013 event and it was a blast). There are even a bunch of golfers who still haven't heard of the event.

For those who follow women's golf, though, in most cases it's overrated. People try to hard to compare it to the Ryder Cup and the harsh reality of it is that it doesn't even come close to the Ryder Cup in terms of importance or excitement. It wasn't created until 1990 and its importance in the professional women's golf scene is still much less than that of the Ryder Cup and the men's scene. Some male golfers, such as Ian Poulter and Colin Montgomerie, have a lasting legacy that focuses on their Ryder Cup performance rather than any other tournament performances. The same cannot be said for the women, and it's just a less important event overall for women's golf even if it is technically the Ryder Cup's counterpart.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!